Charlie Austin

HawK

QPR have just been relegated, and Austin is going into the final year of his contract.

The fact they are asking £15 million is just outrageous IMO. Be interesting to see if anyone pays that, considering he's had just one season in the top flight.

QPR have just been relegated, and Austin is going into the final year of his contract.

The fact they are asking £15 million is just outrageous IMO. Be interesting to see if anyone pays that, considering he's had just one season in the top flight.

Wat

No chance we will get him, we'll start the bidding off with some half arsed bid like £9m, up it to about £11m, then get crushed by someone ending up paying closer to £20m. Our media partners will then leap to the defence of the club saying we had put in a reasonable bid but didnt want to break the clubs highly successful transfer policy.

Whilst I agree with the majority of that, there's no way they can even feel our transfer policy is an overall success. Carroll and Cabaye can't be held up when there's so many Gouffrans/Williamsons/Rivieres/Yang Mbiwas

Agreed, my use of 'highly successful transfer policy' didn't really come across with enough sarcasm

Someone will pay it. And he'll justify it. Not us though, I tried and tested policy of not paying the going rate clearly works

Seriously, last year of his contract at a relegated club, £15m is a HUGE ask. He might justify a £15m fee if he had two or three years left, but only one? £15m would get you far more than that outside of English football.

Someone will pay it. And he'll justify it. Not us though, I tried and tested policy of not paying the going rate clearly works

Seriously, last year of his contract at a relegated club, £15m is a HUGE ask. He might justify a £15m fee if he had two or three years left, but only one? £15m would get you far more than that outside of English football.

It really isn't. I don't even rate Austin that highly, but 15m doesn't get you a whole lot nowadays, even abroad. With the new TV deal I think you will find between 10 and 20 million is pretty much the going rate for a proven Premier League goal scorer. The fact QPR got relegated and Austin has one year on his current contract (does he?) is not particularly relevant as someone will pay it.

It really isn't. I don't even rate Austin that highly, but 15m doesn't get you a whole lot nowadays, even abroad. With the new TV deal I think you will find between 10 and 20 million is pretty much the going rate for a proven Premier League goal scorer. The fact QPR got relegated and Austin has one year on his current contract (does he?) is not particularly relevant as someone will pay it.

I also think calling him a 'proven' Premier League goalscorer is a bit of a stretch. Granted, he did exceptionally well in his first season but that's all it's been - just one season.

Fair enough. He's only played one season at this level like. He's more PL proven than the "£15m would get you far more than that outside of English football" options you propose, put it that way, and I would be interested to hear which strikers you think we could get abroad who would probably do better than him for less than £15m.

The guy seems able to put the ball in the back of the net. That's really what we need at the moment with Cisse being a liability and Riviere being the worst finisher I've ever seen.

I doubt it. Might get £10m for him, otherwise clubs will just wait until next season. QPR can't afford to lose him for nothing next year. Not that fussed if we lose out either. He'd be a useful addition but he's looks basically like Fletcher from Sunderland when he was in form. Knows where the goal is, but doesn't look that special either.

Guest GallowgateKev

Don't even know why people discuss rumours, once they hold up the black and white top then discuss it.

No chance we will get him, we'll start the bidding off with some half arsed bid like £9m, up it to about £11m, then get crushed by someone ending up paying closer to £20m. Our media partners will then leap to the defence of the club saying we had put in a reasonable bid but didnt want to break the clubs highly successful transfer policy.

Whilst I agree with the majority of that, there's no way they can even feel our transfer policy is an overall success. Carroll and Cabaye can't be held up when there's so many Gouffrans/Williamsons/Rivieres/Yang Mbiwas

Agreed, my use of 'highly successful transfer policy' didn't really come across with enough sarcasm

:lol: fair enough bud

Don't even know why people discuss rumours, once they hold up the black and white top then discuss it.

:lol: Come on man. What else should we discuss then?

It is the bread and butter of our summer to be fair :lol:

Would be pretty stunning if we can't get this guy.

McClaren worked with him at QPR.

Steve Black worked with him at QPR.

Their director of Football is a former Newcaste stud in big Les Ferdinand.

I mean .... come on.

I doubt it. Might get £10m for him, otherwise clubs will just wait until next season. QPR can't afford to lose him for nothing next year. Not that fussed if we lose out either. He'd be a useful addition but he's looks basically like Fletcher from Sunderland when he was in form. Knows where the goal is, but doesn't look that special either.

Quite a lot of opinion there having said you've not seen much of the player on the first page.

Would be pretty stunning if we can't get this guy.

McClaren worked with him at QPR.

Steve Black worked with him at QPR.

Their director of Football is a former Newcaste stud in big Les Ferdinand.

I mean .... come on.

And Lee Charnley has a history of bidding way lower than market value!

Wouldn't lump Yanga-Mbiwa in with those clowns personally.  Obviously he didn't work out here, but unlike the other three I don't think that was down to lack of quality, but rather our piece of shit "manager" at the time.