The Coaching Staff

NUFC

Says he wants to be working abroad again in 5 years, so there goes the McClaren successor idea.

"But I've no fear of missing out because the intention is to go to that level again. If that was with Newcastle, that would be perfect, but if not I'll certainly be back working abroad in the next five to 10 years."

It's true to a point, if we had a better coaching staff then the players Pardew got rid of for practically nothing probably would have been sold for a much higher fee.

On top of that the players who had stagnated probably would have been developed better, of course there's always a limit with Ashley as the entire idea is sell to buy but it would probably work better.

After the season we had, I can't see many lining up to buy any of our players for a decent sum of money.

They won't but if these coaches are the improvement we hope they are then maybe in future windows they might. That ship has long sailed tbh, but I was mainly talking about Pardew and the players already gone.

I'm wondering if Cathro applied for the job or whether he was specifically picked by McClaren.

If the former it goes to show that McClaren is building a coaching team based on job aptitude which is encouraging.

More of a case of who would cost the club nothing (or little to nothing) and is available IMO.

Seems a bit of coincidence to end up with a really highly-rated young coach mind.

Possibly but lots of evidence over the last 8 years to suggest otherwise!

More of a case of who would cost the club nothing (or little to nothing) and is available IMO.

Seems a bit of coincidence to end up with a really highly-rated young coach mind.

It is a coincidence though because that highly-rated young coach also happened to be not contracted to anyone.

Possibly but lots of evidence over the last 8 years to suggest otherwise!

Yeah of course, I'm not rushing to give loads of credit, just seems like McClaren has been allowed to employ a couple of coaches as condition of taking the job.

It is a coincidence though because that highly-rated young coach also happened to be not contracted to anyone.

Well yes, he was available, I can't deny that. What I mean is, it doesn't feel like we just went for the first freebie we could find. We already had Carver and Stone who we could have forced on a new manager (for example).

Definitely more excited about this than about Steve McClaren being appointed head coach. Considering the fact that this Cathro bloke appears to be very ambitious and wants to move into management asap, could it be that there is an understanding there between the parties that he is here to learn of Steve McClaren who will make way for him in a few years time, possibly heading upstairs as a Graham Carr replacement. It appears extremely unlikely for an outfit unable to even plan a transfer window to be this forward thinking all of a sudden, but from what I’ve read about Cathro he just doesn’t appear the type who would come here to play second fiddle for long.

Thank god it only took a month to land an assistant head coach. Give it another month while we do this retarded dance with Woodman. THEN we can start monitoring the hell outta some players.

To be fair the coaches mentioned do sound a lot better than anything we have had for years ( not hard mind) but even so all of them were out of contract so it doesn't really change anything from that stand point.

Oh aye, we're not going to suddenly start paying big money for the absolute best. But I think these appointments (if they happen) are positive.

Definitely more excited about this than about Steve McClaren being appointed head coach. Considering the fact that this Cathro bloke appears to be very ambitious and wants to move into management asap, could it be that there is an understanding there between the parties that he is here to learn of Steve McClaren who will make way for him in a few years time, possibly heading upstairs as a Graham Carr replacement. It appears extremely unlikely for an outfit unable to even plan a transfer window to be this forward thinking all of a sudden, but from what I’ve read about Cathro he just doesn’t appear the type who would come here to play second fiddle for long.

It would be nice to think so, depending on how things go. The guys still only 28 which is too young to be a manager/head coach imo, certainly in the top flight of English football anyway. He can be assistant for for 5 years, still only be 33 and then take over the head coach role.

In fairness, the club have stressed previously they believe in continuity. If we can get ourselves into a position where we have capable people in our backroom staff who can be promoted and develop an ongoing footballing philosiphy that would be ideal from my point of view. I do however, get the impression he's looking at us as a stepping stone to take a head coach role somewhere else in the future. He seems like he wants management fairly soon, and may not be willing to wait 5 years.