England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Colombia were missing their best player. I doubt many thought that Colombia 11 would beat England

He hardly impacted the group stage though(Poland aside), he barely played against Japan and Senegal and it didn't stop people from believing they'd win.

Also with how Colombia played i don't think it would have made a massive difference, James is a player who needs the ball and Colombia hardly had any of it in the final third for much of the game.

Aye and the one game he played all of he was outstanding. They obviously would have tried to take the game to England more if they had James playing. They also did draw with England btw

Colombia were missing their best player. I doubt many thought that Colombia 11 would beat England

He hardly impacted the group stage though(Poland aside), he barely played against Japan and Senegal and it didn't stop people from believing they'd win.

Also with how Colombia played i don't think it would have made a massive difference, James is a player who needs the ball and Colombia hardly had any of it in the final third for much of the game.

Of course missing their star player changed everything for Colombia. There's just no way they would have played the defensive 4-3-2-1 if James was fit. Everything goes through him and having him fit and playing probably raises the confidence levels of others too.

Guest firetotheworks

Triggs doesn't dislike England btw, that suggestion is embarrassing apparently. Even though he criticises them at every conceivable opportunity. :lol:

Suprised Triggs hasn't got ab avi of a Sweden flag

Nah I hate this Sweden side. I'm on the fence about who I want to win. I wanted Colombia to win because I think they add more to the tournament if they have James available.

Triggs doesn't dislike England btw, that suggestion is embarrassing apparently. Even though he criticises them at every conceivable opportunity. [emoji38]

When? All I've criticised is the diving against Colombia and the lack of creating chances

I don't want France to win because I hate Deschamps. I don't want Belgium to win because I hate Martinez. I don't want Croatia to win because I just don't like them. I kinda don't want Russia to win because they're not really that good. I don't want Sweden to win because it'd bring so much shame for us. I kinda don't want England to win because I'm uncertain how England will cope with winning.

In short, I guess I want either Russia or England to win. And out of those two, I'd chose England.

Therefore, come on England!

Guest neesy111

I don't want France to win because I hate Deschamps. I don't want Belgium to win because I hate Martinez. I don't want Croatia to win because I just don't like them. I kinda don't want Russia to win because they're not really that good. I don't want Sweden to win because it'd bring so much shame for us. I kinda don't want England to win because I'm uncertain how England will cope with winning.

In short, I guess I want either Russia or England to win. And out of those two, I'd chose England.

Therefore, come on England!

Kaiz is the man.

Guest Howaythetoon

England winning will be huge for not only the sport of football in this country, but other sports as well. Excellence is a good habit and for too long we’ve been also fans and lagged behind, the football team especially so. Other sports we now excell or don’t look third rate. It will be a boon for academies as well which I’m a huge critic of, but after years and years may well just about bear the fruits of its labour if you like. I think we will cope well, already there has been lots of retrospect and if we win we suddenly won’t think well that’s it, blow the final whistle now, game over, we rule. It will lead to more development, better coaching, facilities, academies and players and a better understanding that it’s not about producing the very best, but about producing players that can play, are diverse, have character and understanding of the game, tactics and changes and the same with managers and coaches. We need it, our game needs it.

Lose and the media and a huge section of fans will revert to the stereotype that we are t good enough, that our players aren’t good enough. You don’t need to be the best, we’ve have far better players in the past, but we’ve never had a culture of development and growth which we are witnessing now, from top to bottom with Southgate and the youth teams who are all champions as I write. Time for the senior team?

Canny nervous today and I usually only get nervous about NUFC

It just feels like a chance in a lifetime for me: the draw will never be this generous again imo

Think the shackles will be off today after the tension of the last game and we'll play some good stuff, hopefully we'll take our chances when they come but fairly confident and less nervous than I was Tuesday.

Canny nervous today and I usually only get nervous about NUFC

It just feels like a chance in a lifetime for me: the draw will never be this generous again imo

Exactly :thup: I, for the first time in ages, care about international football and a win today means more than just a game. The buzz, everywhere, will be epic.

Feel the same way as joeyt :undecided:

In the same boat myself. I'm trying not to get hyped up but failing miserably.

England need to do much, much better from open play in this one. Hasn’t been anything to shout about on that front. I’d be surprised if Sweden are anything other than a nightmare to break down and solid at defending set pieces, so I hope Southgate has a trick or two up his sleeve.

1-0 either way this’n.

We just need to take the chances we create. Hopefully they fall to Kane or the other lads finish like they do for their club sides.

Need to shift the ball quickly, pull them about the pitch to open up gaps.

Come on!!!! Buzzing for this now.

Guest The Little Waster

Sweden 1 England 0 . Dont believe the hype , stop Kane and you stop England . You dont win owt with kids ( Hansen ) lol

I’ve never been fully invested in an international tournament since 2006.

I’m fully invested in this tournament now. I mean I still have my reservations about the squad over all, but if we can maximise the ‘easier’ draw then we have a real chance. I can’t see us doing it, but there is hope there.

Supporting NUFC you always hope, you hope things will get better, have a mini cup run, a good manager will take over (Rafa). Every part of you hopes with NUFC, and sometimes it’s when you start to lose hope when things turnaround.

With England you quickly learn not to hope, even when things seem to be going well you learn not to hope because we mess them up. Now for this tournament I’m starting to get a little bit of hope back, but without expectation.