England

Yorkie

Guest neesy111

Played 2 decent sides. Created at most, 3 good chances from open play. It’s a concern. 

Not arsed about the Belgium game, and all Colombia created was a pot shot from 30 yards before Extra-Time.

He's on about what England created.

Played 2 decent sides. Created at most, 3 good chances from open play. It’s a concern. 

Not arsed about the Belgium game, and all Colombia created was a pot shot from 30 yards before Extra-Time.

He's on about what England created.

I know he is. But it’s not like we’re being threatened much ourselves, I’ll worry then.

I really don’t get this, “we don’t create enough chances from open play” opinion that a lot of people are going on about.  Surely it doesn’t matter where our shots and goals come from?  We’ve scored 9 goals in 4 games, if anyone had been offered that before the tournament started then they’d snap your hand off.

If i was going to be concerned about anything, it’s probably the fact we haven’t managed to keep a clean sheet yet. 

I really don’t get this, “we don’t create enough chances from open play” opinion that a lot of people are going on about.  Surely it doesn’t matter where our shots and goals come from?  We’ve scored 9 goals in 4 games, if anyone had been offered that before the tournament started then they’d snap your hand off.

If i was going to be concerned about anything, it’s probably the fact we haven’t managed to keep a clean sheet yet. 

It's a fair enough worry when we're up against Sweden who are very good on set pieces, both attacking and defending.

Guest neesy111

It's a fair enough worry when we're up against Sweden who are very good on set pieces, both attacking and defending.

Yeap that's my worry, we'll need to break down a team for the first time in the tournament and be more creative.

On Alli, part of it is because he's not fit and other part is because he's not suited to playing this deep.

He's great at making runs in the box and in this set up he doesn't really get a chance to do so. He's probably the only player in the team who looks out of place in the system we employ.

Guest firetotheworks

More than happy having Loftus-Cheek come in for Alli like, it's the one position where the replacement just brings in new qualities rather than weakening us. I'd consider starting Rose as well. Kane is obviously crucial, but we can't afford to lose Henderson either, largely due to how poor Dier's been.

More than happy having Loftus-Cheek come in for Alli like, it's the one position where the replacement just brings in new qualities rather than weakening us. I'd consider starting Rose as well. Kane is obviously crucial, but we can't afford to lose Henderson either, largely due to how poor Dier's been.

Thinking out loud, do you reckon Sterling could play the role Ali has been playing, and bringing in Rashford up top with Kane? As Sterling doesn't seem to be thriving in that position, and Rashford could give us a bit more movement and energy up top when we try to break.

I thought Alli was useful in terms of defensive duties; seemed to get his body in the way on several occasions. For that reason - if nowt else - I think Southgate will probably stick with him. Pity though, do feel like RLC earned himself a bit more game time with his performances so far.

The only change I'm desperate to see is Rose in for Young. More balance and threat down that side with him in there.

Guest firetotheworks

Thinking out loud, do you reckon Sterling could play the role Ali has been playing, and bringing in Rashford up top with Kane? As Sterling doesn't seem to be thriving in that position, and Rashford could give us a bit more movement and energy up top when we try to break.

I thought Sterling played well tbh, if he could finish he'd be one of the best players in the world. I wouldn't drop him further back, I think you need a bit more physicality for that position, which Alli and Loftus-Cheek have, but Sterling doesn't really. You want him on the last defender as much as possible imo.