England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

You don't get the best keeper of the tournament for one performance. Alisson and Muslera have both conceded just one goal, Olsen has three clean sheets. Can't really put Pickford above Lloris, Courtois or Subasic either and I'm likely forgetting some obvious ones that have been knocked out.

Pickford is up there and has a chance if he/England finish strong but it really isn't sewn up. [emoji38]

Penalty shootout wins will trump most of that like

As I just mentioned, there's three keepers that arguably had a better shootout performance. Two of which advanced. Subasic in general has perhaps been one of the better goalkeepers in this tournament, if not the best so far.

Keeper of the tournament for making a great save on a shot that might have gone wide and saving one penalty? Not a single clean sheet either despite questionable opponents. [emoji38]

Sewn up imo.

Again, name a better performance. It's not fucking hard, apparently. There must be so much competition...

Better performance in general - or best save? If performance in general, there's tons. Pickford had so little to do in the match, man [emoji38]

Name them then. Jesus. Goalkeepers. Has to be spelled out.

There's literally too many to mention. Pickford made one amazing "save". There were only four shots at goal from Colombia over the entire 120 minutes. How that turns into "goalkeeping performance of the tournament" is beyond me.

Schmeichel, Akinfeev and Subasic did better as penalty stoppers as well. If I need to name one performance, then Subasic vs Iceland, for instance had some great keeper moments.

Well at least you tried. I'm a massive lads fan now, ex toon fan in peace...

I remember the Mexican keeper playing pretty well in a few games.

Ochoa is easily my favorite WC keeper of those I've seen play. His saves against Brazil in 2014, and him putting up a wall against Germany in this one, man. That guy deserved a better club career than he got.

I do think Pickford came of age on Tuesday. Whatever happens now, I don't think his nerves will fail him. My chief worry before the tournament started was our 3 keepers with 9 caps between them, but that particular worry has gone.

Kyle Walker losing the ball 30 yards from goal with nothing but Pickford behind him has taken over that mantle.

Korea's Cho Hyun-woo impressed me a few times, I remember thinking in both the Mexico and Germany games that he looked an excellent keeper.

Haven't thought that about Pickford. Solid, reliable, dependable - sure. But not "excellent", and certainly didn't leave me with the impression that he's in the top three keepers at the Cup.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing with Pickford is that he has an air of unpredictability about him and the sense of someone who can pull of the spectacular - good traits to have in a tournament where he is hardly going to be tested and if so, not massively anyway. That was an epic save against Colombia, it was going in, and a great save from the pen too. He is basically on a par with his team-mates, talented, young, untested. He is growing and long may it continue.

Guest Howaythetoon

Can anyone remember Southgate as a player? I do, and quite fancied him for us when he was at Palace. He of course went to Villa and formed a canny partnership with Ehiogu which they reprised at Boro a few years later. I remember many saying he should replace Adams at the back for England who only took 3 CBs to France ‘98. He of course missed a penalty at Euro 96 and was played in midfield when we lost 1-0 to Germany KK and the old Wembley’s last game. He was a good player though and is surprising many, myself included who deemed him an underwhelming appointment.