England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Someone said Rooney has no leadership qualities in this thread which is laughable like, and the constant underrating of him as a player even at domestic level is a joke as well. He already has the same amount of goals this season as he did in the last. However, he probably shouldn't start for England in the Euros, at least in the first game. I think he will though. Kane is the best striker England have so will 100% start, but I think it'll be Rooney alongside him with Vardy as an impact sub. Rooney is still a very good player, but he needs to step up and do it again at international level. It has been too long.

If it was me I'd drop Lallana and play Rooney on the left like. I'd feel like a criminal not starting Vardy or Alli. Lallana is bang average.

Agree that Lallana is not great, but I'm not sure there's any point playing Rooney on the left. Smacks of accommodating him for no real reason.

:thup:

That said i have no idea who should be picked in the midfield roles and strikers tbh, part of it is figuring out what formation we are going to pick as Hodgson has used various different ones recently.

All i know is that Ali, Dier and Kane should start, the rest is up in the air imo.

Someone said Rooney has no leadership qualities in this thread which is laughable like, and the constant underrating of him as a player even at domestic level is a joke as well. He already has the same amount of goals this season as he did in the last. However, he probably shouldn't start for England in the Euros, at least in the first game. I think he will though. Kane is the best striker England have so will 100% start, but I think it'll be Rooney alongside him with Vardy as an impact sub. Rooney is still a very good player, but he needs to step up and do it again at international level. It has been too long.

If it was me I'd drop Lallana and play Rooney on the left like. I'd feel like a criminal not starting Vardy or Alli. Lallana is bang average.

Agree that Lallana is not great, but I'm not sure there's any point playing Rooney on the left. Smacks of accommodating him for no real reason.

:thup:

That said i have no idea who should be picked in the midfield roles and strikers tbh, part of it is figuring out what formation we are going to pick as Hodgson has used various different ones recently.

All i know is that Ali, Dier and Kane should start, the rest is up in the air imo.

Smalling.

Yep, we look like we're going to be very good going forward but, against the better teams, our dodgy defence is going to be torn to shreds. I don't trust any combination of Smalling / Cahill / Jagielka / Stones and whichever full backs we go with are also pretty poor defensively.

Yep, we look like we're going to be very good going forward but, against the better teams, our dodgy defence is going to be torn to shreds. I don't trust any combination of Smalling / Cahill / Jagielka / Stones and whichever full backs we go with are also pretty poor defensively.

:thup: on the flip side you'd hope Dier might counteract some of that frailty and it should make for some canny games.

hardly a ringing endorsement tbh.

I don't think just under 1 goal in every 2 games is a bad return for a man who isn't even a striker anymore. This is the problem though. He is/was so good that people are expecting 30 goals a season from him. It's quite likely he ends up with 20 goals this season and people are turning their noses up at it.

That's not the reason I don't want him, it's because he's not playing well and hasn't for ages. Every time I watch him I'm amazed by the amount of basic errors, bad touches etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he just feels the pressure in an England shirt to be honest. This might be the first major tournament the English aren't pinning their entire hopes on Rooney. It might do him good not being the main man for the first time in ten years.

That's not the reason I don't want him, it's because he's not playing well and hasn't for ages. Every time I watch him I'm amazed by the amount of basic errors, bad touches etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if he just feels the pressure in an England shirt to be honest. This might be the first major tournament the English aren't pinning their entire hopes on Rooney. It might do him good not being the main man for the first time in ten years.

Maybe, yeah. He doesn't play well for Man Utd either though. It's nothing personal, I don't hate him, he's just not good enough.

Maybe, yeah. He doesn't play well for Man Utd either though. It's nothing personal, I don't hate him, he's just not good enough.

He plays better for us than people think, and is still a very important player in our starting 11. He was quite poor earlier in the season though I'll give you that. I would say Rooney is more than good enough to play for England, but if you are picking a starting 11 at this moment, he shouldn't be in there.

I don't think any of this matters anyway, as Roy won't drop him.

I don't think just under 1 goal in every 2 games is a bad return for a man who isn't even a striker anymore. This is the problem though. He is/was so good that people are expecting 30 goals a season from him. It's quite likely he ends up with 20 goals this season and people are turning their noses up at it.

sorry, im talking league goals only here.

Based on league goals he can't start ahead of kane or vardy, his return is pretty shit in comparison tbh.

In terms of Hodgson and the media and fans, it's getting to the point where it's braver to pick Rooney than to leave him out. If Kane and Alli continue to play like they are he would have to come up with a very good reason why he moved either of them. Not sure 'Wayne has more experience' would really cut it.

Based on league goals he can't start ahead of kane or vardy, his return is pretty shit in comparison tbh.

Based on just general contribution he shouldn't start ahead of Kane or Vardy, but we both know that he will. I just hope he can have a great tournament before getting knocked out by a Jon Walters brace in the quarters.

Based on just general contribution he shouldn't start ahead of Kane or Vardy, but we both know that he will. I just hope he can have a great tournament before getting knocked out by a Jon Walters brace in the quarters.

That might happen if Jon overtwangs them from the stands.

Guest alijmitchell

Rooney starting in this side would be such a massive backwards step for us. I don't know how it can be argued that he's been anything but total toss for the national team for years now when it comes to the big time. He's also come of the back of a piss poor season, looks completely immobile and we have better options currently in both the positions he'd be playing in.

Froggy defending a Man U player? Shocking.

I think it's more shocking that England's record goalscorer and captain is being completely thrown under the bus. Some people actually suggesting he shouldn't even be in the squad is shocking. Of course I'm defending him in that respect.

I did say he shouldn't start like. Not sure what is so shocking about what I've said.

Shocking.

Guest alijmitchell

This 'record goalscorer' thing is pish as well. He has the most caps for any England striker, has had such top drawer competition as a knackered Michael Owen, Peter Crouch and Emile Heskey, has banged in goals against some utter turd in qualifiers and friendlies. You'd absolutely expect his goals return as a forward that has been up top for england for practically his whole career. I don't think 'record goalscorer' as a phrase should hold much currency in this debate. He's also our biggest let down in tournaments.