Patrik Carlgren wins Sweden the European Under-21 Championship 2015

joeyt

Southgate played it way too safe. Some strange selections nad preference for underperforming players

The only good thing about the U21s being crap is it kills off Southgate's chances of becoming manager of the senior team. I felt that if the U21s had a good tournament, and Hodgson stepped down after the Euros, he'd get the job.

One of the first things I heard Southgate come out with at the start of the tournament, was the importance of 'controlling' the game, which seems to have become a bit of a buzz word recently in this country. Well we saw the result of that tonight - 60% possession, nearly twice as many shots, but still beaten comfortably by a technically superior side.

He then says tonight that we played well between the penalty boxes, but not at the ends of the pitch. Well if your build up is slow, you will make a lot of passes, which you may find impressive, but by the time you reach the far end of the pitch, the defence will be ready. And with a slow build-up, players can end up going backwards, losing the ball under pressure and conceding chances.

Our two best technical midfielders - Hughes and Loftus-Cheek - both started on the bench, and that says it all.

One of the first things I heard Southgate come out with at the start of the tournament, was the importance of 'controlling' the game, which seems to have become a bit of a buzz word recently in this country. Well we saw the result of that tonight - 60% possession, nearly twice as many shots, but still beaten comfortably by a technically superior side.

He then says tonight that we played well between the penalty boxes, but not at the ends of the pitch. Well if your build up is slow, you will make a lot of passes, which you may find impressive, but by the time you reach the far end of the pitch, the defence will be ready. And with a slow build-up, players can end up going backwards, losing the ball under pressure and conceding chances.

Our two best technical midfielders - Hughes and Loftus-Cheek - both started on the bench, and that says it all.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard :lol:

Although I agree we had a rotten tournament, and English football is a disgrace etc...I can't be doing with all the bluster that comes out when we get knocked out the u21 tournaments. Losing the u21s is a disgrace, but our win at the u17s last year is ignored. France and Spain didn't even qualify this time so I'm not sure we should read as much into this tournament as some people do.

Actually looked worse with two upfront last game. Had much less posession and decent building up play.

Will Hughes shouldn't be on the bench he is class, and uses the ball so well, as does Loftus-Cheeks.

Those two should be part of a 4-3-3 midfield.

Think you guys are in trouble today.

Actually looked worse with two upfront last game. Had much less posession and decent building up play.

Will Hughes shouldn't be on the bench he is class, and uses the ball so well, as does Loftus-Cheeks.

Those two should be part of a 4-3-3 midfield.

Think you guys are in trouble today.

You guys could definitely win. No question in my mind. Love the team.

So Southgate played 4-3-3 throughout qualifying with great success, but then shows up here and starts playing a completely different system, and leaving out the likes of Hughes and Ward-Prowse.

Had no idea he'd do that tbf. Awful stuff.

So Southgate played 4-3-3 throughout qualifying with great success, but then shows up here and starts playing a completely different system, and leaving out the likes of Hughes and Ward-Prowse.

They played 4-3-3 the first game and looked shit. Don't know why the fuck JWP was dropped though

They played 4-3-3 the first game and looked s***. Don't know why the f*** JWP was dropped though

But they looked great with it most of qualifying.

What he should have done was drop Chalobah who struggled from the outset, and also that horrific defender Moore.

Instead he left them both in and changed the whole system to make things even tougher for everyone.

If I was Spurs, I'd take 30 million for Kane. I'm not sure he's going to have a consistent career of scoring like last season.  Doesn't seem to have a lot in his locker, all round game wise.

At times last season he looked to have it all. Pace, power, strength, long range strikes, placed finishes etc.

Pace? Nah. All he did in three games is hit constant hit and hope attempts at goal.

If I was Spurs, I'd take 30 million for Kane. I'm not sure he's going to have a consistent career of scoring like last season.  Doesn't seem to have a lot in his locker, all round game wise.

At times last season he looked to have it all. Pace, power, strength, long range strikes, placed finishes etc.

Pace? Nah. All he did in three games is hit constant hit and hope attempts at goal.

On the ball, he tends to play with his head down. Often he succeeds in driving past or through defenders, but at the same time he misses opportunities to play his team-mates in. We saw the best and worst of it last night.

Second season coming up, so it'll be interesting to see how he adapts.