Patrik Carlgren wins Sweden the European Under-21 Championship 2015

joeyt

Aye, maybe not pure pace but I've definitely seen him go past defenders a number of times.

His second half performance against Arsenal is one of the finest centre forward displays I've seen from an Englishman in a long time. He did it all that afternoon. Too strong for Koscielny, too quick for Mertesacker.  Looked the most intelligent and alert man on the pitch.

No way should Spurs sell.  £30m gets you 18 year old Shaw, Fellaini, Willian, Firmino. If Kane gets anywhere close to his performances next season he's worth £50m.

Aye, maybe not pure pace but I've definitely seen him go past defenders a number of times.

His second half performance against Arsenal is one of the finest centre forward displays I've seen from an Englishman in a long time. He did it all that afternoon. Too strong for Koscielny, too quick for Mertesacker.  Looked the most intelligent and alert man on the pitch.

No way should Spurs sell.  £30m gets you 18 year old Shaw, Fellaini, Willian, Firmino. If Kane gets anywhere close to his performances next season he's worth £50m.

Too quick for Mertesacker. Reknowned speedsmith him like.

Still I tend to agree with you that if he follows up next season, then he will be worth more. However having had the misfortune of watching him at this tournament for three games, where he's been dire, I'm not anywhere near convinced that he will. The second season syndrome is one that's befell many talents before him.

Kane's form dipped the second he got into the England team, looks a mentality issue.

He had 11 in 8 prem games before he then scored seconds into his England debut. Got 2 goals in the 8 after that.

He'll be a top player, needs to keep wanting to prove himself & not get carried away with what he's done.

He'll do fine next year. Remember, he was basically carrying Spurs for the majority of the season so he was bound to get worn out sooner or later, it is his first season as a regular starter after all. He wouldn't exactly be the first talented English player not to turn up at a tournament anyway...

Euro 2004 all over again, proper cheating b******s Scando teams.

What happened/who cheated in Euro 2004? :o

Sweden and Denmark drew 2-2 in their final game, the only result that could put both of them through while eliminating Italy. IIRC, both teams went for it, maybe I'm too naive but I don't think it was deliberate. Even if it was, Italy can't complain imo. They should have sorted qualification out themselves.

Yeah, no way that it was deliberate! Sweden maden it 2-2 very late through a deflected strike. Was even lucky to get through with the ball before he released the shot.

Might just be me being cynical but how much of it is simply down to other countries' youngsters wanting it more and our #lads thinking of their holidays in Magaluf with their mates rather than any success in this competition? Several players were way below their level here, regardless of the fact there was no Sterling, Shaw, etc. (which ties in with my first point I guess)

why should players who are regulars for the senior team feel obliged to play in this competition?

For some reason it's the English attitude to think they are too good for the U21's.

William Carvalho has 13 full international caps. Nelson Oliveira 14.

I'm looking at the England U21 side that got to the final of the U21's. Just 2 of those players are anywhere near CL quality now.

There's 6-7 in the Germany side that won of that quality. 5 you could argue are world class now. Certainly 4 that could fetch for over £20m.

why should players who are regulars for the senior team feel obliged to play in this competition?

Would it not have done them good to having a winning feeling in an international competition rather than have the last World Cup as their most recent experience?

Most of that Germany team made their senior debuts after or just before that tournament. The whole point of U21 football is to produce players for the full team. If a player has already been playing for the full national team for 3 years then the function has already been fulfilled, you don't drag them back to play in the place of somebody who's played throughout qualifying (and needs the experience more). Italy could have had Verratti playing the other day but whats the point when he's having the full national team built around him?

Wilshere made his England debut 5 years ago FFS.

Most of that Germany team made their senior debuts after or just before that tournament. The whole point of U21 football is to produce players for the full team. If a player has already been playing for the full national team for 3 years then the function has already been fulfilled, you don't drag them back to play in the place of somebody who's played throughout qualifying (and needs the experience more). Italy could have had Verratti playing the other day but whats the point when he's having the full national team built around him?

Wilshere made his England debut 5 years ago FFS.

Verrati played in the last Euro tournament. Possibly the one before. He was in the Italian side that got to the final and got thrashed by Spain.

For a side very comfortable in our Euro qualification group. With such a poor history in international tournaments we should take this more seriously.

Also if you play well for 10 games in the PL as a young player - you will get a cap. The barrier for getting a cap is low. Generally I do agree Wilshere probably has too much experience and too much to offer the full side for the U21's. It's more Shaw, Barkley and co. with limited European experience that I wish went.

Because instead of whining about burn out, they could be getting experience in an International competition in the summer and the future of England's "stars" can be getting used to playing together so when it comes to them being in their prime they can be a real force as a team, not just as individuals.

Euro 2004 all over again, proper cheating b******s Scando teams.

What happened/who cheated in Euro 2004? :o

Sweden and Denmark drew 2-2 in their final game, the only result that could put both of them through while eliminating Italy. IIRC, both teams went for it, maybe I'm too naive but I don't think it was deliberate. Even if it was, Italy can't complain imo. They should have sorted qualification out themselves.

Ah, right, had forgotten about that. No way that was deliberate, but it was funny :) It's also funny that Italy is crying about match fixing when they have one match fixing scandal after another in their own league :) Stones and glass houses and all that :)

Edit:

Made me think of this re: the Italians: "Genom sig själv känner man andra."

Translation: Through yourself you know others.

Meaning: You presume others are like yourself, including when it comes to bad characteristics.

I don't think there's an issue with the quality of young players that are now coming through. Southgate is right about that. When you think about the players that could have played - Sterling, Oxlade-C, Barkley, Wilshere, Jones, Chambers, Shaw - we'd have a team that would be favourites to win the thing. I'm not saying the decision to leave them out was wrong, but the Greg-Dyke-ish doom and gloom attitude is misguided.

But I'd say Southgate has been over-conservative in his approach. Possession football doesn't in itself lead to goals if the ball is constantly going backwards or sideways. And unless there's a serious fitness issue, I can't understand why he hasn't played Hughes more. From what I saw of previous games, Hughes was the absolute fulcrum of the side. So much good play seemed to be coming through him.