Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

Tbf based on pre season as that's all we have to go on I would start De Jong but I would also start Perez. It's Sissoko who I wouldn't start personally.

I'm not writing Sissoko off because he wasn't always good while playing for Pardew and Carver.  He has ability and I think he can be a big player for us if we are looking to set the team up a bit more positively than we did for long periods under the above mentioned nuggets.

De Jong is clearly very intelligent, in terms of his movement and passing. We have lacked that sort of intelligence in the final third for a long time, hopefully he combined with Wijnaldum will provide that.

De Jong looks very one dimensional to me in the limited time I've seen him.  Hopefully it's just a case of having a shite season with injuries and a settled season will bring out more in him.

Tbf based on pre season as that's all we have to go on I would start De Jong but I would also start Perez. It's Sissoko who I wouldn't start personally.

I'm not writing Sissoko off because he wasn't always good while playing for Pardew and Carver.  He has ability and I think he can be a big player for us if we are looking to set the team up a bit more positively than we did for long periods under the above mentioned nuggets.

Don't disagree, it's just a personal taste really. I believe we should be packing the team with as much technical ability and intelligence as possible, Perez and De Jong are both above him in that regard. Even if Sissoko provides something that no one else on the team can do in terms of the one man break.

In any case as long as the front 4 consists of De Jong, Sissoko, Perez, Aarons, Mitrovic and nobody else i wouldn't complain too much.

Don't disagree, it's just a personal taste really. I believe we should be packing the team with as much technical ability and intelligence as possible, Perez and De Jong are both above him in that regard. Even if Sissoko provides something that no one else on the team can do in terms of the one man break.

In any case as long as the front 4 consists of De Jong, Sissoko, Perez, Aarons, Mitrovic and nobody else i wouldn't complain too much.

I like the one man break, he can move the game from our box to the oppositions and we should get more from that if we are getting players around him to receive the ball.  Sissoko need to look to release the ball better but I don't hold it against him that he wasn't doing that when he had no or little support.  It's much easier when you know you have players around you who will do something if you bring them into play.

Can't fathom the negative opinions on de Jong. I'm anticipating some Debuchy levels of wrong.

He'll be good for us. Needs technical and intelligent players around him though to be really effective imo.

I like the one man break, he can move the game from our box to the oppositions and we should get more from that if we are getting players around him to receive the ball.  Sissoko need to look to release the ball better but I don't hold it against him that he wasn't doing that when he had no or little support.  It's much easier when you know you have players around you who will do something if you bring them into play.

:thup:

I'll be more than happy with a draw here, in a way I wish we were away for the first fixture as I'm pretty sure we'll start this season slowly as some of our players have barely played 90 mins together. That and the adjustment to a new training regime and playing style will take some time to get fluid.

The limited amount of time I've seen De Jong play hasn't affected me either positively or negatively. Worried about his fitness but I think/hope he can be a player to link the front 3 and the rest of the team working in the pocket between the midfield and the defence. Doesn't seem have great skill on the ball but looks technically sound, looks to find other players, can have a punt from distance and can get on the end of things. There is no one in the squad who really does that at the moment so I'm quietly confident.

De Jong looked like quite a clever player in the short time he got on the pitch, but he's not going to provide much in the way of creativity if that's what people are hoping for. He looks to be more about good movement and getting on the end of things rather than setting others up.

There's more than one way to create though as has been discussed before, he can definitely create chances for others just by moving off the ball well and creating space for others and same goes for Wijnaldum. Having players who know how to move off the off the ball would be nice for once.

From his appearance yesterday albeit brief I thought he looked sharp, it looked like his match fitness is getting there.  It was a sublime little touch that set up Mitrovic for the chance that he should have scored from.  Even though De Jong was in front of goal himself he had the awareness to set Mitrovic up.

Strikes me as an intelligence player,  I reckon he can provide those subtle touches in and around the penalty area and hopefully weigh in with goals.  He looked a lot more comfortable in the 10 role that Gini did, Gini in turn was much better playing slightly deeper and arriving into the box.  For me we have to get De Jong, Perez and Sissoko all on the pitch behind Mitrovic.

Guest ElCid

De Jong is clearly very intelligent, in terms of his movement and passing. We have lacked that sort of intelligence in the final third for a long time, hopefully he combined with Wijnaldum will provide that.

De Jong looks very one dimensional to me in the limited time I've seen him.  Hopefully it's just a case of having a s**** season with injuries and a settled season will bring out more in him.

De Jong has hardly played and yet you advocate Sissoko who for two and a half year has been not very good apart from the odd little spells. There maybe a good player in there, there should be a good player in there but you can't keep blaming coaching for losing the ball time and time again and his goal scoring record is very average at best. A great player will always shine no matter what and Sissoko just isn't a great player and if he thinks he is going to get a top move then he is living in dreamland - any decent offer and I would snap their hands off for it.

I don't want us to sell Sissoko, but i struggle to find a starting spot for him in our team. He can be good at times but for me personally, he isn't the type of player who can play in a setup and style that i'd personally like to see. This combined with the type of players we already have makes it difficult for me to find a starting role for him. Just to repeat, i don't want him gone.

Krul

Janmaat          Taylor          Mbemba        Haidara

Colback © :anguish:  Wijnaldum

Sissoko                          De jong            Aarons

Cisse

Subs:

Mitrovic

Abeid

Ayoze

Dummett

Anita

2x axis of s****

Anita, Perez and Mitrovic should all start, Colback, De Jong and Cisse should be on the bench.

Agree but what is the etiquette on these threads? What you want the team to be or what you think the team will be?

De Jong has hardly played and yet you advocate Sissoko who for two and a half year has been not very good apart from the odd little spells. There maybe a good player in there, there should be a good player in there but you can't keep blaming coaching for losing the ball time and time again and his goal scoring record is very average at best. A great player will always shine no matter what and Sissoko just isn't a great player and if he thinks he is going to get a top move then he is living in dreamland - any decent offer and I would snap their hands off for it.

:lol:

For Sissoko under Pardew and Carver look at shearer under Gullit and the change in his game under Sir Bobby.  You can keep blaming coaching for some players not always playing well.  As for his goals, no midfielder scored more goals for us last season than he did.  If his goal scoring record for us is average at best then the other midfielders is as bad or worse.  Or is he the only midfielder that we should judge under our last couple of frauds?

His fitness record alone puts him ahead of De Jong, it doesn't matter how good De Jong is if he's not fit to play enough games.