Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

If Obertan starts I'd be amazed and depressed. With knowledge that doubt Mbemba will be thrown in, this would be a moderately positive team that seems realistic

Krul

Janmaat    Williamson  Taylor    Haidara

Colback  Wijnaldum

Sissoko          De Jong          Aarons

Cisse

I'd prefer Anita (or Abeid ofc) to Colback but fully expect him to start anyway. I don't think Wijnaldum and Sissoko will play from deep midfield at the same time, I like Sissoko there too but him De Jong and Wijnaldum all in middle is not balanced. I'd take Sissoko on wing over Obertan any day, I'd maybe prefer Perez mind, and maybe would prefer Perez up front to Cisse, and really it's a tough call, does McClaren through Mitrovic in? All in all there are positives imo to any of those 3 strikers starting, I think some better service and Cisse could still score a lot, but he does not hold up the ball like both Mitrovic and Perez can (the former hopefully anyway).

Aarons has been exceptional through pre-season and should start.

I think all in all it is nothing other than positive having issues choosing the midfield/strikers in our team - as it shows that we have decent strength and depth for a change.

Last season the team pretty much picked itself week in week out.

Sort the defence out and I think we could have a really decent season.

If Sissoko-De Jong-Aarons is the 3, then it has to be Mitrovic and Perez. Cisse makes the game scrappy and breaks down our moves.

Are you saying two up front? Unless I've misread.

Either way it will be one upfront, probably Cisse.

I worry about De Jong like, it really feels like we'll be sacrificing something for the team to accommodate him if he's starting games. I think De Jong would be fine in a well drilled and functioning system where he's able to play a free role, sort of like Nolan did for us ghosting in on the end of stuff and generally not bothering to get back or whatever else.

Trouble is we are very far from a functioning unit.

I'd say our squad is now the strongest it's been since Souness ripped our last good one apart

Nowhere frigging near, man. Pardew could've (and probably did at some point, (Villa maybe?)) put out: Krul, Debuchy, Colo, Yanga-Mbiwa, Santon, Cabaye, Sissoko, Anita, Ben Arfa, Remy, Cisse. Serious quality all over the park. Reasonable amount of strength in depth too. To think the cunt had that team lose six on the bounce. :anguish:

Remy shits all over anything we have right now, so would that Cabaye. It's not even close that team was a top 6 team before Cabaye was sold and it fell apart this team would do well to finish top 10.

Nice to right off Mitrovic, we dont know how these new signings will pan out but I think theyll probably be decent. For Cabaye we now have Winjaldum, I am not saying he will be as good but he may be or better. We wont know how this squad will work out for a few months but I am fairly positive about the talent but many question marks over Mclaren.

Aye i'm righting off Mitrovic, i have done nothing but defend him since his miss against Gladbach but aye :lol:. He might be better one day who knows but as of right now there's not a chance he touches Remy and Wijnaldum doesn't touch that Cabaye either.

Can't help thinking a few perceptions of Cabaye are being too heavily influenced by his last 3 months here. He's a very fine player but there's a reason he finds himself at Crystal Pace at almost 30.

Can't help thinking a few perceptions of Cabaye are being too heavily influenced by his last 3 months here. He's a very fine player but there's a reason he finds himself at Crystal Pace at almost 30.

Reason i said that Cabaye tbf( as in the season we had Remy), in general i agree.

I worry about De Jong like, it really feels like we'll be sacrificing something for the team to accommodate him if he's starting games. I think De Jong would be fine in a well drilled and functioning system where he's able to play a free role, sort of like Nolan did for us ghosting in on the end of stuff and generally not bothering to get back or whatever else.

Trouble is we are very far from a functioning unit.

I personally think he could do a very good job for us, he looks to be able to create something out of nothing, play anywhere in the final third and cause a few problems.

The issue is the fact that we seem to have to accommodate Colback in the side - I don't dislike Colback as much as others on here, but I definitely think we could use his space in the team for a better player.

He should just say fuck it and play a front 6 of Sissoko, Gini, Perez, Aarons, De Jong, and Mitrovic and take the game to them.

Chancel, Taylor/Colo at CB, Janmaat and Haidara.

Southampton haven't got schneiderlain who was by far their best player last season, to shield their defense. i would say let's go for this one, we are at home and let's get the crowd on their feet and get Southampton with their backs to the wall:

-----------------------------------Krul------------------------------------

Janmaat-----------Mbemba----------Colo---------------Haidara

----------------------Colback-------Wijnaldum--------------------

--Sissoko--------------------Perez--------------------Aarons---

-----------------------NITROvic--------------------------------