Swansea City vs Newcastle United - Sat 15th August @ 3pm (not on TV)

Dave

We can win this but I'll be happy with a draw. I really want to see Sissoko and Wijnaldum pair up in the center.

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba Colo Dummett

Sissoko Wini

Ayoze            Siem        Aarons

Cisse

The CM pairing should and thankfully will never ever happen.

It should be tried, Colback offers no protection apart from the odd last minute challenge or block.

aye mental the idea of playing our two most talented midfielders in midfield

Be like Swansea starting with a CM pairing of Ayew and Sigurdsson

Hardly. Both Wijnaldum and Sissoko have played central midfield in their careers for a start.

aye mental the idea of playing our two most talented midfielders in midfield

Be like Swansea starting with a CM pairing of Ayew and Sigurdsson

Hardly. Both Wijnaldum and Sissoko have played central midfield in their careers for a start.

So have Ayew and Sigurdsson. It was just quickly realised that both players excel in the final third, so placing them in a position which shackles them to stay back is dumb.

I'd fancy Ayew and Sigurdsson to get the better of Colback/Anita if they were in a midfield battle. Love this indoctrination everybody seems to have had into thinking you need to play shite players who can't tackle, dribble, shoot or pass with any kind of invention in the most important area of the pitch

I'd fancy Ayew and Sigurdsson to get the better of Colback/Anita if they were in a midfield battle. Love this indoctrination everybody seems to have had into thinking you need to play shite players who can't tackle, dribble, shoot or pass with any kind of invention in the most important area of the pitch

In the formation/style we are playing we mainly need our CM's to be good at ball winning, keeping posession and maintaining their positioning. Colback and Anita do this better than anyone else in the squad* so they are the best for the job.

* Gini could possibly move back, but why move him from his best position.

Best position when his best season of his career came as a B2B CM and Van Gaal also preferred him there as well. Also as i have stated many times he doesn't one single trait as a professional footballer which is more suited to play playing behind the striker over as a B2B CM.

In the formation/style we are playing we mainly need our CM's to be good at ball winning, keeping posession and maintaining their positioning. Colback and Anita do this better than anyone else in the squad* so they are the best for the job.

Nah, I'm not having this like. In any system you need your midfield to be robust, dictate the tempo of a game and be able to pass/bring the ball forward when the opportunity arises. In an ideal world they should also chip in with goals and assists. Colback and Anita don't do any of this particularly well.

Why move Wijnaldum back? Because he's probably our most dynamic and talented midfielder. I'd rather have him at the heart of things. Not to mention the fact we have Perez, De Jong, Aarons (and Cabella if he has any future) who can play further forward.

Colback and Anita as a midfield is a major problem if we ever want to be pushing towards the top end of the table. Probably the biggest one at the moment after our lack of a commanding presence at the back.

Nah, I'm not having this like. In any system you need your midfield to be robust, dictate the tempo of a game and be able to pass/bring the ball forward when the opportunity arises. In an ideal world they should also chip in with goals and assists. Colback and Anita don't do any of this particularly well.

Why move Wijnaldum back? Because he's probably our most dynamic and talented midfielder. I'd rather have him at the heart of things. Not to mention the fact we have Perez, De Jong, Aarons (and Cabella if he has any future) who can play further forward.

Colback and Anita as a midfield is a major problem if we ever want to be pushing towards the top end of the table. Probably the biggest one at the moment after our lack of a commanding presence at the back.

Agree tbh. We've a surplus of players who can play the ACM role (I think Cabella might come good when he's fit) but our CM options are limited to a degree. I'd have a Gina/Anita pairing and Perez playing the 10 for now.

Nah I disagree with you completely. Arsenal/Chelsea do not need Coquelin/Matic to chip in with goals/assists. They are in the team to do a specific job and that job only. The CM's for us need to be decent allrounders whos' main job is around possession and control of the game.

The essence of someone playing as a #10 is that they are at the heart of things. I want our best midfielder (Gini) in a position where he can influence the game in the final third, and not be shackled with defensive responsibility.

Tottenham just finished 6th with Ryan Mason and Nabil Benteleb playing CM.

Arsenal would be better off without Coquelin and having somebody who doesn't treat the ball like a bomb. Matic is a great midfielder, although he doesn't contribute goals and assists.

Aside from that, they are both one player alongside far more progressive ones. Colback and Anita are a combination of two who do nowt nor something.

Regardless, this is simply making the most of our resources. Playing Wijnaldum as a 10 with Colback and Anita behind him, but with De Jong, Perez and Cabella all sitting on the bench is not the best use of resources.

Nah I disagree with you completely. Arsenal/Chelsea do not need Coquelin/Matic to chip in with goals/assists. They are in the team to do a specific job and that job only. The CM's for us need to be decent allrounders whos' main job is around possession and control of the game.

The essence of someone playing as a #10 is that they are at the heart of things. I want our best midfielder (Gini) in a position where he can influence the game in the final third, and not be shackled with defensive responsibility.

You can still influence the game in the final third without playing the #10 role. I agree that I wouldn't want to see Siss and Gini there just because they both offer a lot of the same things and I do think we need a defensive midfielder like Anita but who is better defensively. But to say Gini should be #10 because he can't influence the game offensively otherwise is ridiculous.

Arsenal would be better off without Coquelin and having somebody who doesn't treat the ball like a bomb. Matic is a great midfielder, although he doesn't contribute goals and assists.

Aside from that, they are both one player alongside far more progressive ones. Colback and Anita are a combination of two who do nowt nor something.

Regardless, this is simply making the most of our resources. Playing Wijnaldum as a 10 with Colback and Anita behind him, but with De Jong, Perez and Cabella all sitting on the bench is not the best use of resources.

Coquelin isn't that bad :lol: But yeah agree with the general sentiment here. Still Sissoko has done nothing for me to prove that he can actually play in a midfield two with Gini.

You can still influence the game in the final third without playing the #10 role. I agree that I wouldn't want to see Siss and Gini there just because they both offer a lot of the same things and I do think we need a defensive midfielder like Anita but who is better defensively. But to say Gini should be #10 because he can't influence the game offensively otherwise is ridiculous.

I'm not saying he can't influence the game from CM, I'm saying whoever plays #10 has more of a license to be creative and doesn't have the same transitional defensive responsibility. If SDJ/Cabella/Perez prove to be highly effective at #10 then I'm all for Gini replacing Colback, but right now I'm not convinced.