Newcastle 0-0 Stoke - 31/10/15 - Match Thread - Post match reaction from p 16.

Mike

Another day we win sure. But it's 11 fucking matches with 1 win man. I fail to see positives in that despite better football style and such. McClaren is working his tail off but the results aren't there. Table doesn't lie.

Another day we win sure. But it's 11 fucking matches with 1 win man. I fail to see positives in that despite better football style and such. McClaren is working his tail off but the results aren't there. Table doesn't lie.

:thup:

it seems like every week it's "well if we play like this next week..". Certainly a more pleasing style but if he can't convert this t results and pretty sharpish then pls go

A much better home performance than any apart from Norwich(which was mainly down to the result), with Perez and Mitrovic causing far more problems for opposition defenders than the dross we played up front under Pardew and Carver....they play well off each other and it forces the opposition to keep  more players in their own half because they have twice as many problems to deal with. This meant that we got far more possession in m/f as the opposition haven't got as many free players to contest loose balls.

However, despite the hype about Butland, who was good but made the saves you would expect any decent keeper to make, we squandered possession and failed to take chances - had Mbemba's header gone on, we would have won the game with the defence looking better for Dummet's presence and Stoke barely tested us seriously at the back.

Nevertheless, better on the eye that the performance was, it was a failure to win a game which a reasonable PL side should expect to win at home. Possession doesn't win games although it should create more chances to do so and we are still in dire straits. The game at Bournemouth now becomes even more vital and a loss of 3 points there will have the writing glowing on the wall in the dark...

Its not looking good.

First of all, glad we didn't concede one to Jonathan Walters, who for some reason I cannot stand. He's more meh rather than inept, so I can't explain it.

Other than that, we managed the average number of shots Stoke concede, so no big achievement there. Mitro unlucky with the header, and Sissoko very close to squeezing it under the keeper, but the rest were wide or saves you'd expect Butland to make. More urgency would have been nice as Ronaldo suggested. Some wayward passing throughout the game too.

I thought de Jong was poor and moving Ayoze made it a lose-lose substitution. Thauvin would have been more of a plan B. Gini cleaned up nicely after a terrible ball out of defence by Anita or Dummett (both made howlers so don't remember which), so a glimmer of him doing something we'd need from a CM if he is to play there sometime.

All in all, two points dropped. Not terrible, but we've had a terrible start to the season and need to get better soon because the pressure will mount.

Was a bit of a weird game, all of our players had 7 out of 10 games and I think McClaren was terrified of losing it the longer it went on. Tiote and Anita were pretty good but there was no need for both of them. Anita pulled off one great block in particular to deny Shaqiri in the second half. Perez started on fire, every touch was fantastic but he faded badly. Mitrovic couldn't get in the game as their centre halves dominated him for the most part. I could see why he  brought De Jong on as we were struggling to get a clear chance created but he was slow and fairly hopeless in truth, I can't see him being here much past January. Thauvin probably should have come on but then again whipping in cross after cross with their centre halves would have been fairly pointless. Mbemba was the pick of the back 4 I'd say, but that's a bit like being the tallest dwarf. Coloccini got left on his arse twice in the space of about 10 seconds by Shaqiri, he badly needs replacing. As somebody else said though, a total lack of urgency towards the end, we never really built up ahead of steam and battered them but I suppose that wasn't helped by Stoke's general antics and Crouch keeping the ball in the corner.

I was confident of a win at Bournemouth but by the looks of things we'll have our 4th choice keeper in and possibly no Janmaat, so that'll be a big help...they concede a lot and we can't score so something's got to give

Was a bit of a weird game, all of our players had 7 out of 10 games and I think McClaren was terrified of losing it the longer it went on. Tiote and Anita were pretty good but there was no need for both of them. Anita pulled off one great block in particular to deny Shaqiri in the second half. Perez started on fire, every touch was fantastic but he faded badly. Mitrovic couldn't get in the game as their centre halves dominated him for the most part. I could see why he  brought De Jong on as we were struggling to get a clear chance created but he was slow and fairly hopeless in truth, I can't see him being here much past January. Thauvin probably should have come on but then again whipping in cross after cross with their centre halves would have been fairly pointless. Mbemba was the pick of the back 4 I'd say, but that's a bit like being the tallest dwarf. Coloccini got left on his arse twice in the space of about 10 seconds by Shaqiri, he badly needs replacing. As somebody else said though, a total lack of urgency towards the end, we never really built up ahead of steam and battered them but I suppose that wasn't helped by Stoke's general antics and Crouch keeping the ball in the corner.

I was confident of a win at Bournemouth but by the looks of things we'll have our 4th choice keeper in and possibly no Janmaat, so that'll be a big help...they concede a lot and we can't score so something's got to give

Mbemba, midway through second half, was like fuck it nothing's on I'm bombing forward, nearly worked as well. :lol:

I reckon there was under 45k there. Stadium had huge patches of empty seats everywhere, was about 10-15 empties just in a immediate area around where I was sitting.

Stoke were even singing songs about it. It's happening, people are starting to lose interest.

Agree.  Lots of empty seats all over and one or two larger patches.

Still amazed by how we can manage 40k plus after what has gone on basically in the last 7 to 8 years, hell even longer if we are honest. Just lost an unimaginable 6 in a row to our bottom feeding local rivals and we still pull in 47k. :lol: It defies belief.

NUFC are one of the tragedies of European football there is no doubt. How such an incredible club can be mismanaged, exploited and run down to such a degree is criminal. The worst part is that it has gone on for so long now that its hard to see when this run of misfortune for the club is going to change.

Mbemba, midway through second half, was like f*** it nothing's on I'm bombing forward, nearly worked as well. :lol:

That's the 2nd time he's done it (against Norwich iirc) and both times it's actually looked promising only for our teams shit movement to give him no option, him lose the ball and us to almost concede.