Seydou Doumbia

sempuki

I don't see it as being a massive issue on a loan deal.  Either he'll be fit and he'll play, or he won't, he'll sit on the treatment table and we'll go with what we have.  Then if it's that bad we'll send him back to Roma and that'll be it.  It's certainly better to have a striker with a good record who could be fit than just no other options.

It is a massive issue really because we need a goalscorer to avoid relegation.

The fact we didn't get a proven goalscorer is a massive issue, just like the fact we didn't get a decent centre back and left back.  That doesn't really change because of Doumbia though.  He's here as an extra body on a gamble really.  Berahino was who we needed from our targets if we wanted someone good and premier league proven.

Who were people expecting to buy when they say a 'proven goalscorer'? :lol: Which proven goalscorers were available for us to buy this January?

What makes you a proven goalscorer? Jamie Vardy scored about 3 goals in the whole of last season... Look at him now, is he a proven goalscorer? Is Giroud a proven goalscorer?

Doumbia scores goals and has done throughout his career, he's scored against top teams in Europe and has something different to what we have now.

I think people wanted someone Premier League proven like Berahino (not that I think he's that amazing), or that's how it seems to me.  Too often in the past we've signed people with good goalscoring records in leagues ranging from decent to poor and it hasn't worked here.  Riviere had an okay record in France, Luuk De Jong in Holland and even though I think he'll be a good player for us, Mitrovic hasn't scored many yet either.  It either takes these players a long time to settle or they never do.  We have a history of this going back a long way to players like Guivarch who also had an excellent record in France, but was terrible here.

So as good as Doumbia could be, if we can keep him fit and he settles, it's not a guarantee and it's hard to call him proven in this league, because history has shown us that being proven elsewhere doesn't always end up working here.  Berahino isn't amazing, but you know what you'll get and you know the standard he's at in the premier league at this current time.  I think when most people say proven, that's possibly what they're looking for, but I can only speak for myself really.

Doumbia could be great.  He looks exciting in some videos and I've seen him play well in the games against Man City, but his recent league record and injury record does cause concerns.  I'm pleased it's a loan for that reason.  Although that of course as other will point out will all be irrelevant if we get relegated without a proper goalscorer.

Although I agree with what you are saying, every club will have their fair share of successes and failures within the transfer market (especially with strikers).

Who would have thought when we signed Perez that he'd have been as good as he is?

Who would have thought when we signed Owen that he'd have been such a worthless t***?

Every club is the same... Signing any player is a risk, no matter what they have done before in whatever league they are in.

Torres is a prime example of this when he moved to Chelsea - he was a proven goalscorer in Spain and England before this.

Just don't understand how people can write off Doumbia before he has kicked a ball for us and state we should have signed x y and z because they are "proven".

I'm not writing him off by any means.  I'm curious and I maybe wouldn't go as far as to say I'm excited to see how he does, but it'll be interesting and I hope he does well.  It's definitely always a risk, because we have had successes.  Cisse was brilliant right from the off, as was Demba Ba, although both of them had records of note in better leagues than Doumbia does.  It's just that in this particular window the proven element would have made everyone feel more secure because of our league position.  I think everyone would be a bit more excited by Doumbia if we were sat in 10th.  Then his champions league exploits and what he could bring would probably get a lot more emphasis than his injury record and how proven or not he is.  As it is, the sword of Damocles that is relegation is hanging heavy over us.

Who were people expecting to buy when they say a 'proven goalscorer'? :lol: Which proven goalscorers were available for us to buy this January?

What makes you a proven goalscorer? Jamie Vardy scored about 3 goals in the whole of last season... Look at him now, is he a proven goalscorer? Is Giroud a proven goalscorer?

Doumbia scores goals and has done throughout his career, he's scored against top teams in Europe and has something different to what we have now.

It's basically a completely useless phrase that means nothing.  I suspect Chelsea thought that Torres was a proven PL goalscorer when they bought him and that Shevchenko was a proven goalscorer.  Alternatively Arsenal probably hoped but had no real idea that Henry was going to be a prolific goalscorer.

And agreed - when does a player become a proven PL goalscorer?  If Vardy and Austin are proven PL goalscorers after one season, then so were players like Michael Ricketts, Marcus Stewart and DJ Campbell.

It's just lazy.

Proven goal scorer may be a lazy term, but it's not exactly difficult to understand why some people want something a bit more guaranteed right now.  Our success/failure ratio with our transfer policy in recent times is really poor.

Lazy terms indeed, you can't have ' a bit more guaranteed' ,it's either guaranteed or it isn't  :lol:

And there aren't many of them for under 30 million

That's surely a bit pedantic.  I'm saying perhaps people want something they feel more confident of then if 'a bit more guaranteed' doesn't sound right.  It's not a difficult concept, just not a perfect use of English from me.

Damnit Giggsed

he main concern regarding Doumbia is his fitness. Throughout the years, he has been extremely fragile, missing countless games due to various injuries. Ankle, thigh and back problems seem to keep mounting at a very alarming rate.

And according to sources at CSKA, Doumbia barely trained at all during his loan spell from Roma at the beginning of the season; kept complaining at different minor injuries and only took part in the games themselves. That was possible because coach Leonid Slutsky and most of his teammates have known the Ivorian for years.

There was a phenomenal mutual understanding between the striker and his team-mates, which enabled him to perform without actually training with the team. Even so, his form dipped significantly towards the end of 2015, and Doumbia has failed to find the net since October.

eep

2 things.

1. Didn't the Russian league break for winter yonks ago?

2. Their manager is called SLUTSKY FFS!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely he must be fit right now, or he wouldn't have gotten through the medical.  If he's good and starts well, even a short decent spell of goalscoring before an injury  could help us out quite a bit.

The black De Jong (lol, pick whichever one!), Carroll, Dean Ashton, etc.

Edit: The above is meant as a joke, before the joke-police come around with their dildos.

Unbelievable over here...

The black De Jong (lol, pick whichever one!), Carroll, Dean Ashton, etc.

Edit: The above is meant as a joke, before the joke-police come around with their dildos.

Unbelievable over here...

http://memecrunch.com/meme/5FH/not-sure-if-serious-fry/image.png