sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should everyone who dislikes the Royal Family also look for employment in a different country?

Yes. How can you not love the Royal Family? Did you know that the Queen brings in over £989 trillion gazillion for our economy every month?

Should everyone who dislikes the Royal Family also look for employment in a different country?

Who mentioned the Royal Family?

Surely by your logic that if we dislike something that we pay taxes toward we should seek employment in another country?

The Royal Family is a large part of our history, just like the army

The general hatred of Maclean is a bit daft given that those who gave their lives did so to fight fascism and allow freedom of speech.  He grew up in a fiercely republican area where the wearing of a poppy would likely get you, at the very least, beaten up so are we seriously expecting him to wear one?  He still has family and friends back home and I’m sure their lives would be uncomfortable if he did.

Personally, I have no problems with him doing this as like you say, he's from a staunchly Republican family and area. For such a man of principles though, he seems to have no problems paying (quite a lot of) tax to HMRC, knowing fine well that a lot of it is going directly to the British Army......that's where I find him to be an absolute hypocrite.

Strange thing to say given that not doing so isn’t an option

He's stated numerous times that he would wear it if it was just about the World Wars. He refuses to wear it because he refuses to honour those that commited the Derry massacre.

That's my standpoint though not specifically about NI - every conflict since WW2 has been politically wrong imo and most have been characterised by war crimes and atrocities committed by people who signed up for it.

Surely by your logic that if we dislike something that we pay taxes toward we should seek employment in another country?

There's a big difference between disliking something, and actively hating something and constantly making statements (political or otherwise) about it.

Like I said earlier, if he really feels that strongly about it, go and play in another country.

There's a big difference between disliking something, and actively hating something and constantly making statements (political or otherwise) about it.

Like I said earlier, if he really feels that strongly about it, go and play in another country.

He doesn't constantly make statements though and he doesn't actively hate Britain

He doesn't constantly make statements though and he doesn't actively hate Britain

The poppy was brought up by this thread. This is quite the rabbit hole :lol:

why should he have to play in another country because he doesn't wear a poppy? It's not a legal requirement and everyone who lives here is entitled to their own view. Jingoistic poppy fascism is such bollocks.

I agree, and I said I had no problem with him not wearing the poppy because of his Republican background in my original post.

I do have a problem with some of his other actions though.

why should he have to play in another country because he doesn't wear a poppy? It's not a legal requirement and everyone who lives here is entitled to their own view. Jingoistic poppy fascism is such bollocks.

I agree, and I said I had no problem with him not wearing the poppy because of his Republican background in my original post.

Same, it's criminal he never uses his right foot.

Which ones?

Turning his back on the English flag in America for a start. I didn't expect him to sing the national anthem, but that was very poor.

Which ones?

Turning his back on the English flag in America for a start. I didn't expect him to sing the national anthem, but that was very poor.

During the anthem? Its his choice, free country and all that. That in no way means he should have to leave and work elsewhere

I didn't say he had to leave etc, I just questioned the blokes principles.

As is my right.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watched the second half today, bloody hell two awful sides. That mackem side is terrible though and are in serious danger of going down. How 'Cats' and O'Shea still start is beyond me. Boro's RB looks a prospect mind.

What’s different about what he does than any of those NFL players taking a knee during the anthem?

He’s not going around saying “fuck the queen”, he has idealisations based on his upbringing. Whether right or wrong he’s entitled to his opinion.

He knows his apples when it comes to the Adam Johnson apologists at least..

He’s not going around saying “fuck the queen”, he has idealisations based on his upbringing. Whether right or wrong he’s entitled to his opinion.

I wonder what his poppy critics would do in a similar situation if the British Army committed the same atrocities in their own home town in recent history.

Which ones?

During the anthem? Its his choice, free country and all that. That in no way means he should have to leave and work elsewhere

I didn't say he had to leave etc, I just questioned the blokes principles.

As is my right.

Well you pretty much did,

No, but if he has such a problem with the UK and it's history, go and play somewhere else.

I said IF he has a problem etc. that's what he should do......if he truly wanted to be a man of principle that is. Clearly he likes the Queens shilling too much.

Guest neesy111

I wonder what his poppy critics would do in a similar situation if the British Army committed the same atrocities in their own home town in recent history.

Exactly.

Guest Howaythetoon

I doubt half the c***s who bleat on about the poppy realise the context of its meaning or significance historically. I refuse to wear one today because it's now a political football and a money making scheme. Hang me!