Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

We've played some great stuff this season, a defeat like that is raw and bitterly disappointing but he will get it right I'm sure of it.  Still ahead of the 2 points per game that you normally need.  Think we will strengthen as well

His 4-2-3-1 isn't the problem, it's the players we have that are fairly better than most of this league, however aren't capable of dominating when the key piece in Shelvey is missing.

Telling Rafa to shove his formation at home up his arse is some weirdo internet rage.

He needs to sign better players quickly to sort out the over reliance on Shelvey because he's not ever going to change his basic system.

I'd much rather he play 2 up front as well, mind you. 

??? :lol:

What's not to understand? I'm not going to jam my keyboard with rage telling the manager to fuck off with his system because we know he won't. I'd rather play 2 up front like you with these crop of players, but since we know he's not changing his system we better and need to sign better players to remove the reliance of Shelvey.

:thup: I cannot blame people for being pissed off like. Our home form is canny horrible and it isn't down to bad luck, but I have no worries and don't think it's anywhere near as simple to sort out as gets made out immediately after a defeat. We need a couple of big players in January.

That's obviously fair but the reason why it's so frustrating, particularly tonight, is because he's persisting with it until the last knockings of the game. He brought Atsu on, which was a good sub, but still we had absolutely fuck all to aim for up top.

I agreed with Atsu but I never thought he did anything tbh, looked sharp a couple of times but even after he wiggled away they recovered well enough and easily dealt with anything he put in or robbed him before he could. I was screaming for Mitrovic too and although he never made a massive difference I thought he brought players into it well a few times, which we just never saw from Diame of Gayle at all tbh.

Not even sure what I'm trying to say here like, I just found the whole match frustrating to watch and am still canny annoyed now, I've felt like this a few times at home this season (like when the opposition score I've never seen any way in which we reply - we seem so flat). I know Rafa sees it too, he analyses these games to death with his team.

I suppose I just expect him to sort us out by buying players which are a better fit for what he's trying to do, as opposed to changing the way we play. Our squad doesn't fully suit it and he's obviously aware of that. Mitrovic, Lazaar, Perez and even Atsu I don't think he fully trusts.

Good post.

The squad, as you say, clearly isn't 100% to his liking - probably not even 90%. And there's no surprise in that given that there was about 25 incomings/outgoings in the summer.

Three essentially defensive midfielders and one striker at home to nobodies in Championship is inexcusable, like. We're so easy to park the bus against it's embarrassing.

Add in the defensive full backs and it's not hard to see why we lack fluency going forward. Very slow and ponderous bringing the ball forward, can't really blame the striker when he's not going to see the ball.

Agree totally no need for two midfielders set up defensively and then a lazy as p*ss player ahead not contributing, ideally if you are going for 3 man mid you want a strong ball winner who can carry ball forward, a tidy passer who can set the tempo and a creative one to make goal scoring opportunities. Two players to break up play is too many regardless of the formation.

We should have made SJP a fortress and a place to be feared this season and instead there's probably not a team in the league who doesn't fancy taking something from Newcastle away. He has to take his share of the blame for that.

Guest firetotheworks

Why did he sign Daryll Murphy if he doesn't trust mitrovic up top still.

If you have a listen to the True Faith podcast you'll get the answer to this. Basically, if players like Murphy aren't playing it's a good sign because he trusts the players ahead of him.

Big Rafa supporter but I have to admit I'm not really enjoying this season. We should be hammering some of the sides we're coming up against but you can probably count on 1 hand the games where we have played well.

Well, that's really not true, is it?

I went through and counted 7 games where I would say we performed at the level you would want and expect.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree mainly with Hans, albeit my main conclusion was that Shelvey was a gigantic miss and that it seemed like the team didn't know what to do without him.

Big Rafa supporter but I have to admit I'm not really enjoying this season. We should be hammering some of the sides we're coming up against but you can probably count on 1 hand the games where we have played well.

Well, that's really not true, is it?

I went through and counted 7 games where I would say we performed at the level you would want and expect.

This is a better side than the one in 09/10 IMO.

We should have made SJP a fortress and a place to be feared this season and instead there's probably not a team in the league who doesn't fancy taking something from Newcastle away. He has to take his share of the blame for that.

:thup:

His rigid style compounded with the failure to address our hideous lack of creativity just isn't conducive to consistently winning matches at home. It affects the crowd too. The atmosphere is completely fucking flat because we're predictable and safe when we should be rolling teams over.

I agree mainly with Hans, albeit my main conclusion was that Shelvey was a gigantic miss and that it seemed like the team didn't know what to do without him.

Compare tonight's last five minutes to the last five minutes against Norwich, it tells you a lot. People literally were standing around waiting for a Shelvey pass; instead of receving one, what happened was the backline passed it between themselves and nobody came deep. Was pretty desperate.

His rigid style compounded with the failure to address our hideous lack of creativity just isn't conducive to consistently winning matches at home. It affects the crowd too. The atmosphere is completely f***ing flat because we're predictable and safe when we should be rolling teams over.

To be fair - from what I've been told - in the games we've played good football and comfortably won at home, the crowd have only been up-for-it against Norwich. 

Guest neesy111

If he thinks jack colback is good enough for being our 3rd choice central midfielder and we don't need to strengthen then I have issues with him.

A useless midfielder who has been nothing but a hindrance to every team he's played with.

His rigid style compounded with the failure to address our hideous lack of creativity just isn't conducive to consistently winning matches at home. It affects the crowd too. The atmosphere is completely f***ing flat because we're predictable and safe when we should be rolling teams over.

To be fair - from what I've been told - in the games we've played good football and comfortably won at home, the crowd have only been up-for-it against Norwich. 

I was at the Norwich game and we really went after them from the start. We were pressing, overlapping, creating chances and the atmosphere was really good. Then we went 1-0 up, Rafa had the team retreat back 15 yards and the atmosphere totally flatlined till the final 2 minutes of injury time.

Guest neesy111

If you have a listen to the True Faith podcast you'll get the answer to this. Basically, if players like Murphy aren't playing it's a good sign because he trusts the players ahead of him.

I don't believe that tbh from what I'm seeing in terms of how he is using mitrovic.

Guest neesy111

I was at the Norwich game and we really went after them from the start. We were pressing, overlapping, creating chances and the atmosphere was really good. Then we went 1-0 up, Rafa had the team retreat back 15 yards and the atmosphere totally flatlined till the final 2 minutes of injury time.

Agree with this as soon as we scored V Norwich when immediately sat back.

I don't believe that tbh from what I'm seeing in terms of how he is using mitrovic.

He trusts/fancies Murphy even less than Mitrovic.

I think it's clear that neither have an NUFC future here and I hope at least one of them is replaced (immediately) by someone he's going to play.

Guest neesy111

He trusts/fancies Murphy even less than Mitrovic.

I think it's clear that neither have an NUFC future here and I hope at least one of them is replaced (immediately) by someone he's going to play.

I think that's bad management tbh, though not surprising as he goes through more players than just about any other manager tbh.