Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Our focus is almost solely on letting the opposition play themselves into trouble, though, Mick. Taking the game to the them and making things happen for ourselves doesn't exist as part of our attacking philosophy until we have no choice but to chase the game.

Our focus is almost solely on letting the opposition play themselves into trouble, though, Mick. Taking the game to the them and making things happen for ourselves doesn't exist as part of our attacking philosophy until we have no choice but to chase the game.

We've also scored 2 of the quickest goals in the division this year, I think today was down to far too many players(all of them) playing poorly rather than negative tactics.

I think Decky said we had just over 30% possession in the first half. I think that says everything it needs to.

It does, we could hardly get the ball and gave it away when we did.  They always had players in space and always had on outlet in good areas, our movement was terrible.

I didn't see too many complains with the team selection today, and I can't for the life of me believe that a manager as experienced as Benitez is ignoring a solution to our home form as simple as some make it out to be; just play two up front and attack more and it'll be easy. I agree we've not been playing brilliant football for quite some time but we've been very organised. Something that seems to go out of the window at home, we make some ludicrous mistakes and that encourages the opposition.

There's got to be some deeper issues at play. For example it wouldn't amaze me in the slightest if it's actually our players that get intimidated by playing at SJP. Nearly every other ground in this league is much smaller and the pressure on us to blow teams away on our own patch is huge. And it increases with every point we drop. On the flip side the opposition players get to come here and enjoy themselves, and crank up the pressure. I'd bet any money that every opposition manager makes the same point to their team about how the fans might get nervy if they just get through the first 15mins. If they lose, so what? It's Newcastle away.

Definitely needs sorting out, but I can't see it happening in a hurry. Might not even happen this season. Just have to hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

I didn't see too many complains with the team selection today, and I can't for the life of me believe that a manager as experienced as Benitez is ignoring a solution to our home form as simple as some make it out to be; just play two up front and attack more and it'll be easy. I agree we've not been playing brilliant football for quite some time but we've been very organised. Something that seems to go out of the window at home, we make some ludicrous mistakes and that encourages the opposition.

There's got to be some deeper issues at play. For example it wouldn't amaze me in the slightest if it's actually our players that get intimidated by playing at SJP. Nearly every other ground in this league is much smaller and the pressure on us to blow teams away on our own patch is huge. And it increases with every point we drop. On the flip side the opposition players get to come here and enjoy themselves, and crank up the pressure. If they lose, so what? It's Newcastle away.

Definitely needs sorting out, but I can't see it happening in a hurry. Might not even happen this season. Just have to hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

This is it imho. We really need some leaders if we do go up. A proper central midfield leader to drag us through games.

That post isn't meant as a criticism of the home support btw, not in the slightest. It's just the way things are, we're getting ludicrously large crowds and we're one of the very biggest clubs in the Championship. Everyone expects, and rightly so.

There's got to be some deeper issues at play. For example it wouldn't amaze me in the slightest if it's actually our players that get intimidated by playing at SJP. Nearly every other ground in this league is much smaller and the pressure on us to blow teams away on our own patch is huge. And it increases with every point we drop. On the flip side the opposition players get to come here and enjoy themselves, and crank up the pressure. If they lose, so what? It's Newcastle away.

This is it imho. We really need some leaders if we do go up. A proper central midfield leader to drag us through games.

It doesn't help that the fans boo as soon as we misplace a pass. Away from home they get supported, at home they get slated for every bad pass. The fans turn up expecting the other team to just rollover and it doesn't work that way.

The amount of sheer shit I heard behind me today was unreal. We didn't have the best game but I repeated to a few that we had only lost 1 fucking game this year and no matter how good you thought our rivals play we are still top of this league.

What do people actually want? Keegan football ain't happening

I don't think he is rotating the squad as well as he did earlier in the season. Granted there are injuries but we did seem to thrive on every player being on their toes. The squad is being more static and complacent and it's time to make a change.

This is why we needed to invest in January, that could be a £200m+ mistake.

I don't think he is rotating the squad as well as he did earlier in the season. Granted there are injuries but we did seem to thrive on every player being on their toes. The squad is being more static and complacent and it's time to make a change.

We haven't had a proper attacking midfielder or left winger all season. It's pretty indefensible, like.

No fault of Rafa's either. He made it clear we needed both before the window opened.

In the absence of transfers I would like to see Barlaser involved a bit more, I think he is good enough to compete on a rotation. Also if Gouffran and Atsu can't do the business then Lazaar should be brought in from the cold.

Guest neesy111

We haven't had a proper attacking midfielder or left winger all season. It's pretty indefensible, like.

No fault of Rafa's either. He made it clear we needed both before the window opened.

Midfield squad depth is ridiculously poor.

Literally today the 2 options through squad to change the midfield today is Gouffran or put Diame deeper.  Nowhere good enough.

Weird suggestion fair enough, but maybe if he looked at the squad and tried to get the best from it  as it seems like he tries to shoehorn everything into a certain formation.

Perhaps we need a different system at home only as it seems to be working away from home

It doesn't help that the fans boo as soon as we misplace a pass. Away from home they get supported, at home they get slated for every bad pass. The fans turn up expecting the other team to just rollover and it doesn't work that way.

The amount of sheer s*** I heard behind me today was unreal. We didn't have the best game but I repeated to a few that we had only lost 1 f***ing game this year and no matter how good you thought our rivals play we are still top of this league.

I get that the home crowd don't help at times, but I was at the game today and most of the groans were at the team not being able to do the basics right i.e. simple 10 yard balls and whatnot. We looked clueless out there.

The amount of sheer s*** I heard behind me today was unreal. We didn't have the best game but I repeated to a few that we had only lost 1 f***ing game this year and no matter how good you thought our rivals play we are still top of this league.

I get that the home crowd don't help at times, but I was at the game today and most of the groans were at the team not being able to do the basics right i.e. simple 10 yard balls and whatnot. We looked clueless out there.

Every home crowd in the country moans. Don't blame the crowd for that display today. That's just avoiding what the main issue is here

Guest neesy111

Every home crowd in the country moans. Don't blame the crowd for that display today. That's just avoiding what the main issue is here

Aye.

If players have got issues at playing at SJP, then by god they are mentally weak.

A professional footballer at this level should not wet themselves because they are playing in front of 50k and there are a few moans and groans when mistakes are made.

A completely daft excuse and the easy way out.

We lost todays game because we were out fought for the entire match, nowt to do with the crowd. Fulham closed us down and were first to everything. We were subdued and looked uninterested for most of it. The fact that Ritchie was screaming at his team mates 5 minutes in because he had no support closing down suggested early on it was going to be a long day.

There's got to be some deeper issues at play. For example it wouldn't amaze me in the slightest if it's actually our players that get intimidated by playing at SJP. Nearly every other ground in this league is much smaller and the pressure on us to blow teams away on our own patch is huge. And it increases with every point we drop. On the flip side the opposition players get to come here and enjoy themselves, and crank up the pressure. I'd bet any money that every opposition manager makes the same point to their team about how the fans might get nervy if they just get through the first 15mins. If they lose, so what? It's Newcastle away.

Maybe when people are predicting line up they are so used to it being 4-2-3-1 that they just pick personnel to fit that ?

A professional footballer at this level should not wet themselves because they are playing in front of 50k and there are a few moans and groans when mistakes are made.

We lost todays game because we were out fought for the entire match, nowt to do with the crowd. Fulham closed us down and were first to everything. We were subdued and looked uninterested for most of it. The fact that Ritchie was screaming at his team mates 5 minutes in because he had no support closing down suggested early on it was going to be a long day.

I said this in the pub before the match. We had to start well today if we were to win the game. When you have Ritchie (rightly so) screaming at his team mates a few minutes in because we were so lethargic and 2nd to every ball it was inevitable what was coming.

I said this in the pub before the match. We had to start well today if we were to win the game. When you have Ritchie (rightly so) screaming at his team mates a few minutes in because we were so lethargic and 2nd to every ball it was inevitable what was coming.

It was funny when Ritchie pressed high and waved for us to press with him, the tactics don't allow it!

It was funny when Ritchie pressed high and waved for us to press with him, the tactics don't allow it!

It's so rigid and almost militarily style at home it's just awful to watch. Literally an atmosphere killer if ever there was one. I can understand it on the road but it's very tedious at home now.