Leicester City 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 14/03/16 - post match reaction from p.44

BlueStar

The way they press relentlessly is unreal. It all starts with Vardy, can't even relax on a pass back to the keeper. Kante is everywhere.

When you combine that with our nerves and low confidence it's not surprising we struggled to pass the ball at times.

On the whole we were so much better than almost every away game this season. No one could have complained if we got a point.

The Townsend sub and change in formation put us on top. Nice we have a manager capable of that. Unfortunately, Ranieri responded with a change that leveled things out again.

Promising signs, just hope we can play a smart game in the derby. If the occasion doesn't get to us I think we'll win.

Haven't seen Leicester much this season, was that a normal performance from them? Wasn't that impressed.

*sour grapes alert*

Kinda. There were definitely some parallels with their game at our place - they won 1-0, with a goal from a set-piece, and only managed two shots on target.

Our game was a bit different though. We should have at least had a couple of goals in the first 20 mins but Schmeichel had a blinder. They came back into it for a bit, then we really should have had the game won before the goal. It was a more stark version of their play this year - we had 62% possession, 21 shots, 16 corners. They got everyone back and looked to hit us on the counter with long balls. And yes, the ref was very generous to them, honestly.

They are definitely able to switch their game up when required, but it's still the same basic template. Tight at the back, force the oppo into crosses from out wide which the big guys or Schmeichel can deal with. Kante is everywhere. Look to break at speed either with the wingers or with long balls into the channels for Vardy. Everybody working hard and pressing when they don't have the ball, happy to dole out little niggly fouls, happy to play for free-kicks around the box. They are very well-drilled, both at the back and up front, which is greatly helped by the fact that they have been playing almost exactly the same team all year. Eleven players have started more than 20 league games, and seven of those have played at least 28 of the 30. Compare that to your team (five started more than 20, two started at least 28 (Gini and Janmaat).

Guest Ogden

Haven't seen Leicester much this season, was that a normal performance from them? Wasn't that impressed.

The long season is starting to wear on them so I'd say they are at about 95% of what they were 2 months ago.  Lately they have been able to stick their nose in front and do whatever it takes to win by a goal.  That's no small feat.

Can't help being anxious given where we are in table. Guess same is true for players.

Thing is though, we didn't get much luck tonight (can't always 'make your own'). Seemed every clearance went to a Leicester player, loose balls just didn't bobble our way, Morgan ran into Sissoko then cannoned into Mitro, when surely would have scored. Might have had a penalty (then or from Sissoko's shot against Morgan's arm). Great finish to score with one of very few chances (free scoring league leaders). Makeshift defence looked organised, number of promising moves 'just' failed: final ball a foot off or the omnipresent Kante seemed to connect with every stretch for the ball.

In my current 'just/fair world' deluded frame of mind ( it's been a long night) I choose to think we're saving up the luck for Sunday. If stuff starts to come off, players will get more into their zone/flow, seem to have more time on the ball, do what comes natural. Promising signs tonight, but need something to go for us; kind bounce, rub of the green. Whatever. Howay great footy gods, give us a break, man.

Guest Ogden

It doesn't matter about the pen and it doesn't matter that we lost. There was a massive improvement out there tonight and if this had been Rafa's 3rd or 4th game we would have won. Leicester were just holding on for the last 20min. Not many sides have won there this season.

Disagree that they were "holding on", they just knew that by killing the game we'd be incapable of scoring based on our woeful goal scoring record away from home. Professional tactics prevailed.

Exactly.  Leicester followed their script.  That's how they've been winning games all season.

Guest Ogden

Thought Elliot's kick distribution was very inconsistent.  He fluffed a few and it was hard to tell who he was trying to get the ball to a few times.

*sour grapes alert*

Kinda. There were definitely some parallels with their game at our place - they won 1-0, with a goal from a set-piece, and only managed two shots on target.

Our game was a bit different though. We should have at least had a couple of goals in the first 20 mins but Schmeichel had a blinder. They came back into it for a bit, then we really should have had the game won before the goal. It was a more stark version of their play this year - we had 62% possession, 21 shots, 16 corners. They got everyone back and looked to hit us on the counter with long balls. And yes, the ref was very generous to them, honestly.

They are definitely able to switch their game up when required, but it's still the same basic template. Tight at the back, force the oppo into crosses from out wide which the big guys or Schmeichel can deal with. Kante is everywhere. Look to break at speed either with the wingers or with long balls into the channels for Vardy. Everybody working hard and pressing when they don't have the ball, happy to dole out little niggly fouls, happy to play for free-kicks around the box. They are very well-drilled, both at the back and up front, which is greatly helped by the fact that they have been playing almost exactly the same team all year. Eleven players have started more than 20 league games, and seven of those have played at least 28 of the 30. Compare that to your team (five started more than 20, two started at least 28 (Gini and Janmaat).

Yeah, that's a good summary.

From other games as well as this, I've had the feeling that referees are being a bit lenient with them, for some reason. The likes of Vardy and Mahrez are clever at getting free kicks, and in midfield they're getting away with some borderline challenges.

Bit late but....

Elliot 6 Not much to do, some pressurised kicking

Janmaat 6 A few errors on the ball but tireless

Taylor 6 Hopeless on the ball but solid, couple of good blocks

Lascelles 6 Always nervous when he's on the ball but did better

Colback 6 Fairly solid, nowt going forward (instructed) stupid foul

Anita 5 Neat and tidy, nowt more

Shelvey 7 Inconsistent passing but imposed himself in the second

Perez 7 Busy, much more effective in the middle

Gini 6.5 Was much better when he got onto the ball in the second half

Sissoko 6.5 Effort was there, I thought but frustrating

Mitrovic 8 Held up the ball very well. Had zero chances to score

Townsend 7 Wanted the ball. Looked lively

De Jong 7 Decent cameo, I hope Rafa has seen something

Summary- Organised and committed but still toothless up front. Considering the opposition  (who were impressive) it was much better.

Bit late but....

Summary- Organised and committed but still toothless up front. Considering the opposition  (who were impressive) it was much better.

We seem terrified to have a shot.

They'd all rather pass and set someone else up rather than gamble and have a dig.

Leicester came so close to scoring that they scored.

They scored a offside goal, of course nowt matters other than 1-0 though, might as well bring McClaren back eh? :lol:

Wasnt actually offside according to some ref on Sky (Dermot Gallagher I think)

Hmm, it's a close one.

http://i.imgur.com/QbTLzvy.png

Taking into account the perspective here, it's likely Lascelles' upper body is just about in line with Vardy.

Irrelavent as Taylor headed it clear and it spooned up to vardy who was onside by then.

It's the soft free kick that colback gave away that led to it that annoys me.

Guest neesy111

Bit late but....

Mitrovic an 8. [emoji38]

Bit late but....

Mitrovic an 8. [emoji38]

Sissoko 6.5? He was toilet..... At Best!

A much improved performance. Already after just a couple of days training the team looks far more organised and we actually looked as if we had some sort of game plan.

However we have 1 serious problem and that is we have no centre forward worthy of the name. That was our 7th 1-0 defeat of the season and I fear there'll be quite a few 1-0 defeats in our final 9 games because Rafa will organise the defence but we just can't score goals. For that reason we're still dead certs for the drop but if we can somehow persuade Rafa to stop on in the championship then at least there'll be reason to be optimistic for the future. Another bonus was that it only took him 55 minutes to see through the totally pointless Vernon Anita so hopefully that's the last we'll see of him.

Bit late but....

Mitrovic an 8. [emoji38]

I thought he was excellent.

Bit late but....

Mitrovic an 8. [emoji38]

It's clear you have an agenda against him.

One thing's for sure, without Mahrez and Kante I don't think they'd be that great a team. They have the hardest working midfield going but once you take those two out (and yes, to a lesser extent Vardy) then they're pretty average. Can't believe a defensive partnering of Huth and Morgan (throw Simpson in too) are top of the league - baffling.

One thing's for sure, without Mahrez and Kante I don't think they'd be that great a team. They have the hardest working midfield going but once you take those two out (and yes, to a lesser extent Vardy) then they're pretty average. Can't believe a defensive partnering of Huth and Morgan (throw Simpson in too) are top of the league - baffling.

It's the players in front of them who do the work: pressure oppo into long-balls and crosses from deep which they can easily mop up.