Southampton 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/04/16 - post-match whatever from page 23

BlueStar

I was there today and haven't read the thread but, all I can say, is that if this contest was a boxing match then the towel would've been chucked in after the first 20 minutes.

Midfield was completely missing. Central players were absolutely abysmal.

Why o why would you do that to yourself?

I've made a concerted effort this season in trying to convince my 9 year old son that he should support NUFC by experiencing various atmospheres (the derby, away games etc).

At 3-0 down today he wanted to leave. It feels like I'm doing entirely the wrong thing tbf but I'm from Newcastle and all of my family bleed B&W even though we don't live in the NE anymore.

Not sure I'm doing the right thing but, if Ashley goes, you never know. It's the hope that kills you.

:thup: (poor lad)

I was there today and haven't read the thread but, all I can say, is that if this contest was a boxing match then the towel would've been chucked in after the first 20 minutes.

I've made a concerted effort this season in trying to convince my 9 year old son that he should support NUFC by experiencing various atmospheres (the derby, away games etc).

At 3-0 down today he wanted to leave. It feels like I'm doing entirely the wrong thing tbf but I'm from Newcastle and all of my family bleed B&W even though we don't live in the NE anymore.

Not sure I'm doing the right thing but, if Ashley goes, you never know. It's the hope that kills you.

My little 7 year old girl has asked a couple of times in recent months, for me to take her to a game. I'd love to as my dad did with me, but why put her through such turgid rubbish? There's a whole young generation of youngsters going to become alienated from this football club, because of the way the owner runs it. How sad is that? :(

There was quite a young kid in front of me today - he was pretty much sat down the whole match and looked pretty fed up with life!

There was quite a young kid in front of me today - he was pretty much sat down the whole match and looked pretty fed up with life!

That might have been him :lol:!

My little 7 year old girl has asked a couple of times in recent months, for me to take her to a game. I'd love to as my dad did with me, but why put her through such turgid rubbish? There's a whole young generation of youngsters going to become alienated from this football club, because of the way the owner runs it. How sad is that? :(

For me, it's the fear that he follows his mates at school and decides to support Chelsea, Man City etc.

In the hugely unlikely event we find success then I wouldn't welcome him back if he'd changed from a traditional glory team to us. My view is that you've got to endure the hardships to enjoy the success should it ever come.

For me, it's the fear that he follows his mates at school and decides to support Chelsea, Man City etc.

In the hugely unlikely event we find success then I wouldn't welcome him back if he'd changed from a traditional glory team to us. My view is that you've got to endure the hardships to enjoy the success should it ever come.

I ruined my nephew early on, he was NUFC mad for a few years. Now he basically couldn't give a shit about football and he's still only 13. I dare say NUFC singlehandedly made a footy mad kid hate the sport before he was even started :lol:

He used to play footy saying he wanted to play for NUFC when he grew up. Last year he quit his team and told me he wouldn't really want to play with the people involved at Newcastle anyway.

I agree with that, Minhosa. Kids at that age are often very impressionable. :(

Every dad wants to enjoy football with their kids. It's such a great bonding opportunity.

I looked at Saints today and was jealous tbh.

Jealous of a nothing team. I just wished we'd genuinely compete on a level and not be tainted by that Ashley ownership which has killed all sporting ambition at the club. That's what I struggle with the most and I worry about my two boys being exposed to it tbqh.

I took my  kids and my nephews to a game where Ben Arfa lit up the place with a goal so magnificent they were buying shirts with his name on their backs even though my nephews live at the other end of the country. They are too embarrassed to even watch them on the telly now, never mind attend games.

Mitro bottled two shots in a row for their 3rd. Thought he was tough :hmm:

As much as I like the kid there's nothing tough about Mitro. I know he tries to act it.

You should offer to coach him. Obviously he'll never be as tough as you but it may help him become a real man.

I do wish he'd just stop giving it the bigun with CBs, though, because there's a definite correlation between the games in which he gets bullied around and those in which he misses chances and generally looks clumsy and static. He should watch someone like Ba who just rose above it, didn't really engage in the physical stuff but was in the right place on the end of chances.

I'm taking my eight year old next week :-(

Centre midfielders who aren't CM, defenders who aren't or can't, playing Away at Steaminghampton = nee chance. Get the angst re passing the  'mind virus' of NUFC on, at least I do re the current regime. I don't get it, re being shit. We have pretty much always been shit, probably 5 of the last 50 years would be the exception. It felt weird to many (mid 90s) when suddenly we weren't. To me, supporting a team means learning to deal with disappointment, having a sense of community and belonging, daring to care, having something to talk to your Dad/Mam/whoever about. Occasionally, very occasionally, this pays off--NUFC as a 'one-armed bandit'. We are not entitled to anything, some are just lucky/unlucky to never catch the virus. I say unlucky, as despite the wanting to put your head through a wall levels of frustration and pain, on balance, it still feels worth it.

If ever a team - and club - deserved relegation, it was that shower yesterday. If you thought watching the comedy at Norwich was bad, this should have really surprised you.

I can't think of ONE outfield player who would have got NEAR to the 1992/93 PROMOTION side, let alone the teams that came after....would you have Mitro instead of David Kelly, Perez instead of Andy Cole, Wijnaldum instead of Gavin Peacock, etc etc...

In fact, when you add up the financial cost of this current side, they HAVE to be the worst NUFC side to figure in a top division when it comes to value for money.

Courage - ZILCH

Will to win - ZILCH

Ability - Find it if you can

The game was a total embarrassment to the name of the club, the region and anyone associated with both. The only people who are getting shown up for what they are - apart from this crap bunch of so-called footballers - are the laughably-named 'Board', including the even more ludicrous CE and of course, the man at the top who keeps trying to avoid the buck which is inevitably, and deservedly, being passed in his direction.

How ANYONE thinks this team - or any major part of it - can make a challenge for promotion next season is way beyond my comprehension - nothing less than a total clear-out, including the board-room and Academy, will start to address the malaise that NUFC has fallen into, and I really fear for the future of the club now because it is hard to see any way there is a will to put things right.

I would love to hear Rafa's REAL thoughts on both the set-up and the playing staff - it would be worth paying money to hear...

The club is finished for the foreseeable future and you cannot see this shower getting another win this season.

You are wrong - at one time I would have agreed with you but the club has alienated its fans, abused their trust and cynically taken their money and 'invested' it on lousy and uncaring players ; your son has every right to choose where, and on what, he spends his money and I wouldn't blame him for a SECOND for supporting a better-run club OR for going back to watch NUFC IF - and its a big IF - they ever improved as a club.

People have accepted second-best for far too long at NUFC and its beyond time that the club was brought to account by the vast majority withholding their support and money until they make a REAL effort to satisfy their customers...and that is what fans are.

Claiming to be the best fans in the world because they turn up to watch rubbish and have the p--s taken out of them is just out-dated and stupid...as well as playing into Ashley's hands. My son has virtually given up in the club, he is now 37 and I first took him when he was 5 - I don't blame him ONE bit and hope he doesn't take my grandson until Ashley has gone and a better owner in charge.

Dunno how anyone can still find whatever faux-superfan excuse to keep vindicating everything that the club (with the exception of Rafa) does with hundreds, if not thousands of pounds a year. There's no longer any real excuse beyond routine and a spectacularly misplaced sense of loyalty to something that no longer exists as anything other than marketed pride in what is essentially a shitty brand that keeps selling shit to its customers because they keep buying it.

At this point I don't think super fandom even comes close, they're just selfish bastards as far as I'm concerned.

the rot has set in and once people go elsewhere for their enjoyment the likelihood of returning is very much reduced, just look at the great clubs from the past and where they are now.

I agree entirely - I keep making this point, but too many fans think NUFC are immune from going the same way as Sheff Weds/Utd, Wolves etc. By the time they wake up it will be too late and even 'shopping with the wife' will beat what's on offer at SJP eventually.

Don't think I would care half as much, of these "superfan's" we're creating a decent atmosphere, at the moment it's the worst of both worlds  THey might not realise it, but they're supporting the regime, and not the team. Remember how dead the atmosphere was last year against Tottenham ? I think the atmosphere has been terrible all year, even in big games, like the Derby, aside from a few minutes at the end, and that is because the people who care, and create the noise gave up last year.