The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Babbel's a bit of a funny one as well, I don't remember him being all that good at Liverpool.

I was trying to think of alternatives to him. Obviously Carragher could play there and you've got Finnan and Johnson too. I'm probably missing someone obvious.

I thought Agger could have got a CB spot too. I used to think he was mint when he was fit

Seems like Sky are trying to hype this game up more than what it is (standard Sky practice). Both teams have over the last few years have been having rivalries elsewhere, both with Chelsea, and before that Man Utd and Arsenal. I don't think Liverpool vs Man Utd games are what they were anymore, then again I'm not a fan of either club and supporters of both clubs may well think differently.

I think the saddest thing about not being in the PL is not being able to watch / stream our games every Saturday. The initial fun of putting Mick Lowes's mouth upto my ear as I lie in bed is wearing thin, and those Periscope streams are horrendous. I miss watching the team, and wish I lived in the area so I could attend.

Being from London isn't like being from Manchester. How many London clubs are in the top 4 leagues? A dozen? You can be from London had have zero feeling for most other clubs.

Manchester you're going to have strong feelings to both the major clubs.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Wigan, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Altrincham, Rochdale, Stockport are all in Greater Manchester, along with a fair few semi-professional teams.

The ref isn't from Manchester, he's from Greater Manchester. He supports Altrincham and probably doesn't give two flying f***s about either Man Utd or Man City.

Would someone from Wigan be targeted if he was put in charge of this game? Absolutely not. Just a pure media shitstorm over nothing.

If you looked hard enough into every single refereeing appointment, you could probably find some obscure link to one of the clubs.

Proper weird how Anthony Taylor gets so many Manchester games to ref when he's from Greater Manchester

Anthony Taylor always seems to get Man Utd games despite being from Greater Manchester

He's already reffed one Man Utd games this season and nothing was said about it.

Edit - Our referee against Bristol City was from Hartlepool (a small club that is close to Newcastle), nobody too issue with that one either.

Hartlepool is massively different like (to Whitley Bay anyway), it's a completely different area. I obviously don't know what it's like in Altrincham but I can imagine it's a pretty big Man Utd/Man City hotbed.

How far does this go though? Lymm is about a mile away from the Greater Manchester border, but is in a different county - would a referee from Lymm have any issues? People from Lymm may or may not support Man Utd as it's just as close to Manchester as Altrincham is.

If the media cared so much about this (and weren't making a big deal out of it because it's a "big match" against Liverpool) then they'd have raised their concerns in his first ever Man Utd game, but they didn't.

It's like saying should a referee from Blyth, Ashington or Hexham be reffing a Newcastle game though. I don't know if they'd be allowed or not given they specify supporting someone else, but I would find it a bit odd (and they're not even in the same county).

Again, I'm not bothered by it, I can just see why it would cause a stir when people pick up on it as it's pretty hard to believe he doesn't have feelings towards them.

It would have been simple enough to just not have a referee from the area.

Jeff Winter got loads of stick for refereeing us when he was Boro fan, and also for postponing our game against Boro on safety grounds when in reality Boro had a major injury crises.

Every so often similar situations occur, it's simple to just not have referee's from one area refereeing games involving teams from that area. Not only can they be afffected by being a fan but certainly they could be targeteed by fans and non fans in the area they live in.

Guest firetotheworks

He's already reffed one Man Utd games this season and nothing was said about it.

Edit - Our referee against Bristol City was from Hartlepool (a small club that is close to Newcastle), nobody took issue with that one either.

[emoji38] Hartlepool's nowhere near Newcastle

Edit - Our referee against Bristol City was from Hartlepool (a small club that is close to Newcastle), nobody took issue with that one either.

And for the record a decent amount of Bristol City fans did take issue with it.

In time taken, Hartlepool to Sunderland is just as far as Altrincham to Manchester. Hartlepool is also a relatively small club (like Altrincham) and Sunderland/Newcastle/Boro are the biggest teams near to Hartlepool.

Therefore, by the logic of "he lives close to Manchester, so he has some sort of feelings towards Man Utd" - the ref from Hartlepool should have some feelings towards Sunderland and never have ref'd our match.

I'm not saying it's right that he's been given this match, I just think it's ludicrous that people would go so over the top when his performances have never been bought into question when refereeing a Man Utd match and he has absolutely no feelings towards either club.

Apparently there has been a change this season whereby referees can now officiate at any match but not those involving a team they support. Previously, Clattenburg and Oliver could not referee Sunderland games because they supported us but they can now.

Apparently there has been a change this season whereby referees can now officiate at any match but not those involving a team they support. Previously, Clattenburg and Oliver could not referee Sunderland games because they supported us but they can now.

Really? Mackems would be rattled beyond belief if that happened.