Rafa In or Ashley Out?

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The scaremongering from people voting B is amusing. It reminds me of the people who said "be careful what you wish for" when myself and others wanted Pardew out.

Ashley has messed up everything that had any potential to make this club great, why do people think it's going to be any different under Benitez?

Voting A is a vote for revenge? Nonsense, it's a vote for removing a man who is overseeing one of the worst spells in our history A spell that is 100% down to the way he has run the club and was entirely avoidable.

Mate, it's a hypothetical nonsense of a discussion. Everyone wants both Benitez to stay and Ashley to go.

I am aware of that, I just can't believe there are people out there who wouldn't want Ashley gone at all costs.

The scaremongering from people voting B is amusing. It reminds me of the people who said "be careful what you wish for" when myself and others wanted Pardew out.

Ashley has messed up everything that had any potential to make this club great, why do people think it's going to be any different under Benitez?

Voting A is a vote for revenge? Nonsense, it's a vote for removing a man who is overseeing one of the worst spells in our history A spell that is 100% down to the way he has run the club and was entirely avoidable.

Mate, it's a hypothetical nonsense of a discussion. Everyone wants both Benitez to stay and Ashley to go.

Leave the thread then. It's a hypothetical question to get people's views. You have to choose, you can't pick the option you suggest.

We will NEVER do better than Rafa

There's a real inferiority complex going on within our support judging by posts like this. Expectations have been smashed to bits over the last ten years.

Says a lot that posts like this are being made, yet also concern over whether he'll take the bloody Everton job.

I like the guy a lot but he is not some cast iron degree of success. No manager is in football.

Why has this hypothetical poll got me going so much :lol:

You'd be hard pressed to find another manager more likely to be successful with any given club than Rafa Benitez though, even with the whole fanbase against him, he delivered for Chelsea when asked to do so.

A true pro and I agree that we'll never have a better manager, at least in my lifetime. Klopp maybe but that'd be 10 years down the road if at all.

If Ashley sits in the back and gives Rafa the autonomy he gave the previous regimes then we get what we want - a club that tries, that is run well and there would be a chance for success.

Ashley goes, and in walks in Massimo Cellino v2. It's a massive gamble, and a silent owner with Rafa Benitez running everything would be the best possible circumstance we could hope for.

Voting A is just voting for revenge, which I understand, but take a step back from the 10 years of lies, s**** and comatose existence and realise what B would actually mean.

Ashley is Cellino ffs. Like I said, can people name the owners in English football who are worse than Ashley? Then think of how many clubs there are.

Ashley a silent owner as well? He might not pick the team but he restricts the revenue streams of the club, warns against progress in the cups, changes the name of the stadium, has been complicit in the events that led to two tribunals etc. etc. It's not like he's not involved in all the s*** stuff.

You don't think Rafa would only manage this club with cast iron guarentees that he gets the control and the finances required to do so? He's almost said as much in interviews in the past few days, which negates most of the points you're making. As for Ashley being Cellino, there couldn't be more polar opposites in terms of chairmen meddling in day to day affairs of the club.

They aren't exactly the same but they are both poison to their clubs. I'm still waiting for someone to list the owners worse than Ashley...

There's a real inferiority complex going on within our support judging by posts like this. Expectations have been smashed to bits over the last ten years.

Says a lot that posts like this are being made, yet also concern over whether he'll take the bloody Everton job.

I like the guy a lot but he is not some cast iron degree of success. No manager is in football.

You'd be hard pressed to find another manager more likely to be successful with any given club than Rafa Benitez though, even with the whole fanbase against him, he delivered for Chelsea when asked to do so.

A true pro and I agree that we'll never have a better manager, at least in my lifetime. Klopp maybe but that'd be 10 years down the road if at all.

If Ashley sits in the back and gives Rafa the autonomy he gave the previous regimes then we get what we want - a club that tries, that is run well and there would be a chance for success.

Ashley goes, and in walks in Massimo Cellino v2. It's a massive gamble, and a silent owner with Rafa Benitez running everything would be the best possible circumstance we could hope for.

Voting A is just voting for revenge, which I understand, but take a step back from the 10 years of lies, s**** and comatose existence and realise what B would actually mean.

Voting A is just voting for revenge?  :lol:  Do you think Ashley's changed or something? Rafa will be gone in two or three years at the most, and then it'll be business as usual.

Elaborate.

Because this will never happen.  He's show time and time again that it won't. 

Such as ?

Have you been in a coma the last nine years?  The only managers he's hired who haven't just been stooges have been treated like s***, lied to, and forced out of the club.

And hired by who exactly lol. Pardew was Llambias, McClaren was Charnley, Keegan is the only example of this. And this was when he had Dennis Wise telling him what to do.

Llambias and Charnley were appointed to run the club in a specific way with specific targets.  They've not been acting of their own accord.  And if you need more evidence that Ashley's not changed, Lee Charnley still has a job.

Voting A is just voting for revenge?  :lol:  Do you think Ashley's changed or something? Rafa will be gone in two or three years at the most, and then it'll be business as usual.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

Have you been in a coma the last nine years?  The only managers he's hired who haven't just been stooges have been treated like s***, lied to, and forced out of the club.

And hired by who exactly lol. Pardew was Llambias, McClaren was Charnley, Keegan is the only example of this. And this was when he had Dennis Wise telling him what to do.

Llambias and Charnley were appointed to run the club in a specific way with specific targets.  They've not been acting of their own accord.  And if you need more evidence that Ashley's not changed, Lee Charnley still has a job.

This is why if Rafa is given the job I think the only way he'd go is if he walked - there just isn't a history of sacking board members, even elevated club secretaries.

If the poll were B) Rafa stays and gets screwed be Ashley in a way he hasn't messed around internally before, then obviously I'd choose A. B suggests Rafa will get everything he wants to build the club, and Ashley's history shows, Hughton aside as he was already here when he took over, that people he appoints are kept in power for as long as possible, and then some.

It's not like there's a parallel shite owner merry-go-round to match the one for shite managers in the league. Anyone purchasing from ashley will be a consortium/sports group or independently wealthy foreign national and almost surely first time team owner(s). edit: that is, I don't get the usefulness in necessarily comparing owners.

In any case has he not set the bar so spectacularly low that the odds of "being worse than" are practically nil? I'd take those chances any day, yes even if it meant losing Rafa.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

Charnley will always have a job because his job is to say "Yes Sir" to Ashley every time he takes his call. It doesn't really mean that much whether he's still here, if Rafa takes over the football decision making, Charnley can iron Ashley's shirts and double up with butler duties at weekends.

Basically, there's a handful of owners worse than Ashley in English football, if that. And yet people are actually worried that a potential future owner could be harmful to the club.  :lol: :lol:

Elaborate.

Such as ?

This is why if Rafa is given the job I think the only way he'd go is if he walked - there just isn't a history of sacking board members, even elevated club secretaries.

If the poll were B) Rafa stays and gets screwed be Ashley in a way he hasn't messed around internally before, then obviously I'd choose A. B suggests Rafa will get everything he wants to build the club, and Ashley's history shows, Hughton aside as he was already here when he took over, that people he appoints are kept in power for as long as possible, and then some.

That's because he purposefully appoints people who will do exactly as he says. Rafa does not fit into that category (but he certainly wouldn't be here if we'd had even five more points, it was sheer panic that got us asking about him) - neither did Kevin Keegan.

Hughton was not at the club before Ashley arrived.

Basically, there's a handful of owners worse than Ashley in English football, if that. And yet people are actually worried that a potential future owner could be harmful to the club.  :lol: :lol:

we need a list, then that list putting in order of shitness

oyston

venky's

ashley

lerner

short

spring to mind off the top of my head

It's not like there's a parallel shite owner merry-go-round to match the one for shite managers in the league. Anyone purchasing from ashley will be a consortium/sports group or independently wealthy foreign national and almost surely first time team owner(s). edit: that is, I don't get the usefulness in necessarily comparing owners.

In any case has he not set the bar so spectacularly low that the odds of "being worse than" are practically nil? I'd take those chances any day, yes even if it meant losing Rafa.

Counterpoint: Daniel Snyder might decide to go international.

Meh. Ashley out anyway.

oyston

venky's

ashley

lerner

short

All terrible and yet only one of those owner's clubs will be in a lower division than us next season.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

That's because he purposefully appoints people who will do exactly as he says. Rafa does not fit into that category (but he certainly wouldn't be here if we'd had even five more points, it was sheer panic that got us asking about him) - neither did Kevin Keegan.

My mistake - thought he came in during Allardyce. But I thought the poll would would have  a semblence of realism, if Rafa would be appointed by Ashley, then a - Rafa would get all the stipulations he wanted, and b - Ashley wouldn't fire him unless something absolutely catastrophic was happening, like he'd be seen ripping SD hoardings out of the stands and trying to eat them.

oyston

venky's

ashley

lerner

short

Disagree with Short. Have they been relegated during his time there? Also he bails them out to the tune of  £30m every year to keep them afloat because their fans won't pay for the tickets.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

My mistake - thought he came in during Allardyce. But I thought the poll would would have  a semblence of realism, if Rafa would be appointed by Ashley, then a - Rafa would get all the stipulations he wanted, and b - Ashley wouldn't fire him unless something absolutely catastrophic was happening, like he'd be seen ripping SD hoardings out of the stands and trying to eat them.

I don't doubt that if Rafa remains, it'll be if he's told he has control. Keegan was told the same and that quickly disintegrated. Once promotion is obtained, I would expect Ashley to revert to type. I don't see Rafa being fired either. I can very much see him walking though, and if they've been promoted by that point, Ashley won't care. I suspect he'd be delighted actually. Back to normal.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

I don't doubt that if Rafa remains, it'll be if he's told he has control. Keegan was told the same and that quickly disintegrated. Once promotion is obtained, I would expect Ashley to revert to type. I don't see Rafa being fired either. I can very much see him walking though, and if they've been promoted by that point, Ashley won't care. I suspect he'd be delighted actually. Back to normal.

Fair enough I understand your point, I just disagree :) End of the day, I think we all want Ashley out and Rafa in.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

Fair enough I understand your point, I just disagree :) End of the day, I think we all want Ashley out and Rafa in.

Except you, who was worried about a Cellino coming in instead.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

Would you like to take a read of the online article I've written to the contrary? Back in your box please.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

Would you like to take a read of the online article I've written to the contrary? Back in your box please.

No I don't want to read your article.

Elaborate.

Such as ?

No I don't want to read your article.

To say there would be absolutely no risk that an owner could be worse than Ashley is naive in the extreme. This is a hypothetical debate, have you forgotten that?