Rafa In or Ashley Out?

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I voted B.

When we got Ashley, we were happy to see the back of Shepherd... who would have guessed he'd turn out as he has. We wouldn't know what a new owners plans would be, and whether he'd appoint someone like Rafa or KK, or goes for another Pardew.

However, we have a chance of keeping arguably the best manager we've had. Whilst the squad fell short of the results needed to stay up, in 9 games, there has been a marked improvement in the defence, there was certainly more fight than there had been... just not enough goals.

I'm hopeful that Rafa will get enough resource to bring in some of his own players, get rid of the ones he wants to, and we push on from there. We certainly have a better chance in the championship with him, than without.

Ashley out every time. Rafa is class, but can only fix the football side of things, and even then he can't do much if/when he eventually leaves. Will we then have to endure more years of the likes of Carver, Pardew, kinnear etc ?  The football side of things constantly have to be spelled out to them, and still for the most part they continuously get it wrong, and when they get it right it's too late. He (Rafa) can't remove wonga , he can't remove sports direct. The stadium needs a wash, the social media content and output is at the bare minimum. Commercially we are being left behind, community projects are being cut. The connection between the club and its supporters is being lost, other clubs are overtaking us in every aspect. None of this will change until the man at the top is gone.

Ashley out every time. Rafa is class, but can only fix the football side of things, and even then he can't do much if/when he eventually leaves. Will we then have to endure more years of the likes of Carver, Pardew, kinnear etc ?  The football side of things constantly have to be spelled out to them, and still for the most part they continuously get it wrong, and when they get it right it's too late. He (Rafa) can't remove wonga , he can't remove sports direct. The stadium needs a wash, the social media content and output is at the bare minimum. Commercially we are being left behind, community projects are being cut. The connection between the club and its supporters is being lost, other clubs are overtaking us in every aspect. None of this will change until the man at the top is gone.

Well put.

In all honesty I could handle Ashley if the club was competing,

even if you take everything so far as water under the bridge all we're ever going to be under ashley is an advert and the vehicle for the latest wretched shirt sponsor he can find

i'd much rather be rid of him forever and take our chances that we get a proper owner

If we were competing at the top of the Premier League and winning cups, possibly the league then would you accept Ashley's ownership? I'm pretty sure most would.

even if you take everything so far as water under the bridge all we're ever going to be under ashley is an advert and the vehicle for the latest wretched shirt sponsor he can find

i'd much rather be rid of him forever and take our chances that we get a proper owner

If we were competing at the top of the Premier League and winning cups, possibly the league then would you accept Ashley's ownership? I'm pretty sure most would.

Yes, the same way I'd accept John Carver managing the team if he was winning leagues or cups.  Neither is going to happen though.

Rafa isn't a sign that Ashley's changed and things are going to be different.  He's a panic appointment that we kind of lucked into.  If McClaren had us comfortably lower mid-table then he'd still be here, for as long as he kept doing it.

Guest ElCid

Yes, the same way I'd accept John Carver managing the team if he was winning leagues or cups.  Neither is going to happen though.

Rafa isn't a sign that Ashley's changed and things are going to be different.  He's a panic appointment that we kind of lucked into.  If McClaren had us comfortably lower mid-table then he'd still be here, for as long as he kept doing it.

If McClaren had us 17th he would be still here and that is the whole point.

Spot on

A). I'm very fond of Rafa, but I would take Newcastle in the Conference North if it meant we got rid of fatty.

Big statement, but actually think about what that means for a second.

It would mean there is genuine hope that one day we could have a club that tries to win things, and an owner who isn't a vile pig who takes the p**s out of us all.

A). I'm very fond of Rafa, but I would take Newcastle in the Conference North if it meant we got rid of fatty.

It would mean I'd be able to go back and support my team. What's not to like?

I think there's not really a chance of Rafa staying unless he had total control. Just think about this - Ashley does not want to be hands on at all, and has delegated everything, to the clubs detriment, to unqualified, inept persons. Now, if he delegates to Rafa Benitez, are we not going to get the club we want, long term, built by a proven winner?

While I abhor Mike Ashley for his track record with this club, history does show that we'll have a semblance of a squad that should easily come back up again from the Championship based on the last time around - especially with Rafa at the helm. Last time we were able to keep most if not all of the players that wanted to say, and we brought in numerous loan signings to cover the gaps that did a job whilst keeping our 'stars' on big money like Colo, Nolan and Barton.

Actions speak louder than words, and there have been lots, and lots, and lots of words but no action from Ashley over the past 10 years. Well, persuading Benitez to manage us in the Championship will be the biggest action Ashley will have ever delivered for us for the betterment of the club and it could be the start of something else. At last there would be a tangible change, I just can't see Benitez bowing to the whims of the living human thumb or Darth Vader.

Hindu, I have to admit, it's starting to come across that you believe that it's only possible to enjoy watching your football team if it's in the Premier league.

For a lot of fans, it's irrelevant what league we are in. It's about feeling connected with the club itself.

You would really prefer us to be Conference North but without Mike Ashley than in the Premier League with him? Really?

It would mean there is genuine hope that one day we could have a club that tries to win things, and an owner who isn't a vile pig who takes the p**s out of us all.

You would feel more confident in us winning a significant trophy with a new owner in the Conference North? Aye, alright.

Mike Ashley literally sets the club up to avoid winning anything of significance, so my statement was not as absurd as you suggest.

Don't see your problem with that. You could still have the day out you seemingly value so much?

You would really prefer us to be Conference North but without Mike Ashley than in the Premier League with him? Really?

Are you not getting that I basically don't support Newcastle anymore? That's not an active choice I have made, it's just how I feel. It's like a girlfriend you've fallen out of love with. I don't feel any disappointment when we lose, I don't feel any joy when we win. It's Sports Direct FC to me. I felt a bit more involved with Rafa here, because it was a tiny something to be proud of, but ultimately when we went down, it was a shrug of the shoulders.

Being able to support/be proud of what used to be my club is worth far more than being able to make sure we play Man Utd every season. I really don't give the slightest shit what division we're in if I get to go back. I have no loyalty to the Premier League.

I thought there'd be no circumstances where I'd think it worth keeping Ashley. But the opportunity to build the club under Rafa Benitez is such a circumstance. I know I'm probably being a sucker. But it's Rafa Benitez, and if there's any chance it could work under him, I want him.