Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's been said that we will break our transfer record this window too. I've yet to see us linked to a player which would command such a fee.

I'm aware it's only June but I'm starting to see the usual signs from the club.

Cairney, McCarthy, King and Sturridge have all been linked and all of them would break our record going off fee's mentioned.

It's been said that we will break our transfer record this window too. I've yet to see us linked to a player which would command such a fee.

Cairney, McCarthy, King and Sturridge have all been linked and all of them would break our record going off fee's mentioned.

Aye but are we not interested in those players BECAUSE they are overpriced and therefore we aren't willing to go above the 16m mark on them?

Apparently Kelechi (can't spell surname) is available, but I don't think I've seen us linked to him? We should be paying 20/25m for him, easy.

Aye but are we not interested in those players BECAUSE they are overpriced and therefore we aren't willing to go above the 16m mark on them?

Apparently Kelechi (can't spell surname) is available, but I don't think I've seen us linked to him? We should be paying 20/25m for him, easy.

You may be right. Completely agree on Iheanacho too.

We will see what happens if Rafa wants to spend decent wedge on a proven premiership player. Will they sanction it? I'm yet to evidence that they will.

I doubt we will either.

We just aren't ready to compete in a market with 5 or 6 clubs who will be paying 45-50 million for defenders.

Rafa is a very intelligent manager and knows where we are. We will have to be very savvy in the transfer market to kick on to the next stage.

Yeah I'd like to think this is the case, looking at the fees for UK players we're unlikely to be signing many and doing the squad rebuild required at the same time. Squad will have to be fleshed out with what the club see as good deals from abroad and if we can sort out a deal or two for Brits they'll do it.

At least that's what I'm hoping :/

Ambition also attracts players. If we are seen to be paying big fees, which these days is probably between 20-30m, other players will see that we are honest in our ambition for success.

I'm not saying we should be daft and pay for players like Sissoko (Spurs only did that because they could afford the risk). IMO, for every smart signing like Lejeune, I'd like to see an ambitious one to complement it.

Surely there's quite a big market below the '45-50 million for defenders' tier.

Sure, but you're looking at ~£20m for a standard British player these days, at least a PL level one. We'd be lucky to bring in 4 or 5 players at those prices this summer, therefore I suspect the bulk of our business will be done abroad again. Hopefully we can balance that out a bit better as Rafa gets things stabilised.

Didn't we have a £25m bid rejected for Berahino before we went down?

With money only increasing then, if the club see value in a £20-30m transfer, I'd like to think we'd make the move.

We were probably counting on that move getting us the Sky money.

Didn't we have a £25m bid rejected for Berahino before we went down?

With money only increasing then, if the club see value in a £20-30m transfer, I'd like to think we'd make the move.

Before he went for 12m to Stoke a year later. And they probably even over payed for him

I'm 100% confident we won't spend more than £15m on a single player. Next summer maybe. We need too many players to spend a third of the budget on one.

We spent some 12m on Ritchie in the Championship? If the right player is available I don't think we will restrict ourselves to that. We need one striker, winger, CM, CH and a GK on priority and that should be covered by our budget.

Personally can't wait for some1 to displace Owen as our record signing.

We will see what happens if Rafa wants to spend decent wedge on a proven premiership player. Will they sanction it? I'm yet to evidence that they will.

I doubt we will either.

We just aren't ready to compete in a market with 5 or 6 clubs who will be paying 45-50 million for defenders.

Rafa is a very intelligent manager and knows where we are. We will have to be very savvy in the transfer market to kick on to the next stage.

Yeah I'd like to think this is the case, looking at the fees for UK players we're unlikely to be signing many and doing the squad rebuild required at the same time. Squad will have to be fleshed out with what the club see as good deals from abroad and if we can sort out a deal or two for Brits they'll do it.

At least that's what I'm hoping :/

This is what I'm wondering though, while we can argue that British players are stupidly overvalued and it makes sense to look abroad, it does concern me that the striker we are looking at is £9m. Now he could turn out to be fantastic, but if paying £20-30m for a British player doesn't get you much, you would think you could buy a world class player from abroad for that much.

Surely there's quite a big market below the '45-50 million for defenders' tier.

Sure, but you're looking at ~£20m for a standard British player these days, at least a PL level one. We'd be lucky to bring in 4 or 5 players at those prices this summer, therefore I suspect the bulk of our business will be done abroad again. Hopefully we can balance that out a bit better as Rafa gets things stabilised.

Dele Alli? It would seem some PL sides dont like to take a risk whereas others do. Everton also with Lookman. There are youths that can make an impact for minimal fees if sides dare take risks.

I bet Jacob Murphy could be picked up under or around 10m

He came off the back of a good spell at Coventry and then had a great season for Norwich in the Championship.

Guest chopey

In that case I wonder if that lad from Fulham that tore us a new one at home last year would be worth a punt?