Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Kieran Gibbs' move from Arsenal to Watford broke down over wages

It is understood Gibbs was unwilling to compromise on his £80,000-a-week wages despite being third choice at Arsenal

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-kieran-gibbs-move-arsenal-10968780

No wonder we werent interested (or went no further if we were)

That's ridiculous, its time for a salary cap and transfer cap.

f***ing wages in football are ridiculous :lol:

Absolutely. I do wonder whether this is a major obstacle for us too. Not just finding the bucks, but breaking the structure. If for example Shelvey is the top earner on £50k per week (not sure of source for this claim and figure) then there's zero chance we're bringing in a one-legged left back on 60% more. Might even scupper any 'star' signings if existing players have contract clauses linked to relative salary.

We'd have similar problems with Perez surely, I know he's a striker like but he'll be on canny money at Arsenal.

Guessing he would take a cut as he was interested in going back to deportivo, and they won't match whatever he is on at arsenal.

Not in any way excusing the lack of business done so far, but I am wondering whether Ashley and co think it's worth waiting until the end of the window to see if you can pick up some players from top 6 where the selling club subsidises the player's wages.  Probably quite likely that we will have to do the same to offload our crap.

Players that refuse to move because of a drop in wages can f*** off like.

Says a lot that they would rather sit on a bench and do f*** all than actually play football.

In fairness, if someone offered you a new job with less pay, more work and having to uproot your life to a new place which potentially isn't as nice as where you are now, would you take it?

Says a lot that they would rather sit on a bench and do f*** all than actually play football.

In fairness, if someone offered you a new job with less pay, more work and having to uproot your life to a new place which potentially isn't as nice as where you are now, would you take it?

Not a totally fair comparison. You'd assume he enjoys playing football, most people aren't doing their dream job as a day-job.

Yes. If I was financially secure on the lower wage, and it meant I could actually spend the 15 or so years I have in the job actually doing it.

f***ing wages in football are ridiculous :lol:

Absolutely. I do wonder whether this is a major obstacle for us too. Not just finding the bucks, but breaking the structure. If for example Shelvey is the top earner on £50k per week (not sure of source for this claim and figure) then there's zero chance we're bringing in a one-legged left back on 60% more. Might even scupper any 'star' signings if existing players have contract clauses linked to relative salary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/11/newcastle-would-have-to-pay-jonjo-shelvey-80000-a-week-in-the-ch/

Not a totally fair comparison. You'd assume he enjoys playing football, most people aren't doing their dream job as a day-job.

Look at the type of clubs Gibbs has been linked with. Training and (albeit playing occasionally) for Arsenal compared to spending a whole week with WBA then playing their anti-football for less money? I don't think it's quite clear cut as all footballers who refuse to take a pay cut for regular football are scumbags.

How many years does Gibbs still have in his contract? Taking a pay cut now and getting himself regular football would probably lead to a better contract later.

Expires at the end of this season. Arguably he could get a better deal sitting out his contract and making more money off a bosman given there would be no transfer fee.

Players that refuse to move because of a drop in wages can fuck off like.

Says a lot that they would rather sit on a bench and do fuck all than actually play football.

Some of them won't even make the bench. Haidara, Riviere, Krul and Colback at a guess.