Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think the problem is, we've tended to buy players almost exclusively to fill obvious gaps in the first Xl since Ashley bought the club. Squad players have tended to be shit punts that haven't worked out. I have faith in Rafa to bring in decent backup players but even he gets it completely wrong sometimes. Lazaar, Sels etc.

I think the problem is, we've tended to buy players almost exclusively to fill obvious gaps in the first Xl since Ashley bought the club. Squad players have tended to be shit punts that haven't worked out. I have faith in Rafa to bring in decent backup players but even he gets it completely wrong sometimes. Lazaar, Sels etc.

We've pretty much ignored the obvious gaps since Ashley bought the club and just went for the player most likely to bring in a profit for the club.

e: not that I disagree with you on the squad players point.

We've pretty much ignored the obvious gaps since Ashley bought the club and just went for the player most likely to bring in a profit for the club.

:thup:

I really don't like buying players specifically to be backup in general

Good thing you don't run our club then.

Most good clubs don't buy many players specifically to be backups like, bar keepers

RE Huddlestone (if true) what you have to remember with Rafa is he likes to have at least 2 players per position or role in the side so someone in the mould of Shelvey as a squad player will no doubt be required. Although I'd far rather we just upgraded Shelvey and he then become the squad player...

Nailed it at the end. I'd be more inclined to think Rafa would want to bin Shelvey rather than buy a slower, less mobile version to be his backup.

Most good clubs don't buy many players specifically to be backups like, bar keepers

Not true tbh.

Not many good clubs buy many outfield players over the age of say 25 as backups. Of course they buy young players who will fulfil that role for a season or two(which I would much prefer) but those players are generally expected to break into the team at some stage

Not true tbh.

Not many good clubs buy many outfield players over the age of say 25 as backups. Of course they buy young players who will fulfil that role for a season or two(which I would much prefer) but those players are generally expected to break into the team at some stage

I deleted my post because I mis-read it. Correct not many but they do sign some.

Don't think anyone is suggesting we go out and sign many back ups.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Chronicle reckon Sheff Wed are willing to pay £5.6mil for Hanley which would be a good deal for us

Happy with that. Good move all round, he'll be decent for them or anyone looking for promotion from the Championship.

Do you think Spurs bought Janssen as a first choice or as someone expected to play with Kane?

He was 22, players at that age will generally improve. As I already said, clubs do buy young players as backups initially but those players are expected to improve and become starters eventually. I think Spurs knew he would be backup last season but were hoping he would do well when he got chances, so that if Kane left he would be able to take over from him in a couple of years time.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Chronicle reckon Sheff Wed are willing to pay £5.6mil for Hanley which would be a good deal for us

I know I've said this before but it's fucking unbelievable that's how much a decent Championship defender costs. The market in this country has gone insane.