Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

I assume other clubs with flags/tifo have been looked at for inspiration?

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/mViBmhucKWeYA1i1SVt4cQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptussowexperts/borussia-flags.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Rkz6G9q.png

Looking at that, just something as simple as a half/halg black&white flag or three rows black/white/black could have a strong effect.  Especially if a load of them are dotted around. No need to get too fancy with them

Ribery is rotten in flag form as well.

:lol: First thing I noticed there as well, stood out like a sore thumb.

worjackie, I assume the 3k+ that has been raised is to consult proper designers and have some decent flags made? It would all be a bit of a waste and make us look stupid if we had rubbish on display (without wanting to sound too much like a dick) like the stuff that I've seen on the site.

Or the critics, such as yourself, could come up with some designs of their own. Fact is you're never going to get designs that everyone is happy with.

I never get that argument. 'Why don't YOU try something better.' :lol:

I think it's a valid point/criticism. Seek someone who has expertise in the area.

It's easy to sit back and criticise from a distance. If it bothers people that much that they're not up to scratch they can sit down and have a go and see if they can do any better themselves. Certainly cheaper than paying experts to do it. Let's be honest here as well they're not pieces of expensive artwork bring displayed at a gallery. They're just there to add some colour to the extra noise that's hopefully going to be generated next season. It's not all that important.

I think it's a valid point/criticism. Seek someone who has expertise in the area.

It's easy to sit back and criticise from a distance. If it bothers people that much that they're not up to scratch they can sit down and have a go and see if they can do any better themselves. Certainly cheaper than paying experts to do it. Let's be honest here as well they're not pieces of expensive artwork bring displayed at a gallery. They're just there to add some colour to the extra noise that's hopefully going to be generated next season. It's not all that important.

Might have.. I know I have. I've got some kind of skills on the programs to make them, but I have no ideas to be able to make :lol:  Though like I said, I think simpler is better

My point wasn't "oh I could do better", simply that I didn't like the designs like people have already mentioned. They don't have to be top of the range photoshop designs, but after taking 3k+ you'd expect that a half-decent graphic designer is going to be consulted and some simple, yet excellent banners/flags can be produced. No it's not expensive artwork going into a gallery but if you chucked some of your hard-earned money into this and the result was cheaply assembled tat which looked shit, we would be ridiculed and rightly so. I think after taking peoples money to a project it's important to make it look as great as it possibly can.

My point wasn't "oh I could do better", simply that I didn't like the designs like people have already mentioned. They don't have to be top of the range photoshop designs, but after taking 3k+ you'd expect that a half-decent graphic designer is going to be consulted and some simple, yet excellent banners/flags can be produced. No it's not expensive artwork going into a gallery but if you chucked some of your hard-earned money into this and the result was cheaply assembled tat which looked s***, we would be ridiculed and rightly so. I think after taking peoples money to a project it's important to make it look as great as it possibly can.

Disagree. I think you're taking this way too seriously. It's flags at a football match man.

Eh? If it's "flags at a football match" then why is £3k needed? Should be able to do it with half that amount, tops.

Sexy silk flags sewn by nubile Khmer seamstresses.

We're having a meeting to discuss tomorrow. I'll raise these concerns. As with a lot of things it's a case of striking a balance between quality and quantity. If we had 1,000 black and white striped flags it would look better than 100 with fancy designs. That's not to say fancy designs should be ignored.

I know from initial comments made within our group that the idea seems to be that large "top drawer" flags on display with lots of basic designed ones accompanying it seems to be the initial route.

This group is very much in its infancy and it's trying to go about things the right way. Some members like myself have previously made banners and bought them also so I have a good idea of how to save a bit of cash but it's also very time consuming. I cannot see special graphic designers being consulted for cash but I know there's one or two who are more design savvy in the ranks. What's on the site isn't all that's in motion and we will be looking for more involvement from the likes of yourselves and twitter.

The intention is to make this as inclusive as possible so feel free to chip in with designs or get and bring your own flags. It's supposed to be a spark to ignite the atmosphere so as much contribution as possible I'd say...

We're having a meeting to discuss tomorrow. I'll raise these concerns. As with a lot of things it's a case of striking a balance between quality and quantity. If we had 1,000 black and white striped flags it would look better than 100 with fancy designs. That's not to say fancy designs should be ignored.

I know from initial comments made within our group that the idea seems to be that large "top drawer" flags on display with lots of basic designed ones accompanying it seems to be the initial route.

This group is very much in its infancy and it's trying to go about things the right way. Some members like myself have previously made banners and bought them also so I have a good idea of how to save a bit of cash but it's also very time consuming. I cannot see special graphic designers being consulted for cash but I know there's one or two who are more design savvy in the ranks. What's on the site isn't all that's in motion and we will be looking for more involvement from the likes of yourselves and twitter.

The intention is to make this as inclusive as possible so feel free to chip in with designs or get and bring your own flags. It's supposed to be a spark to ignite the atmosphere so as much contribution as possible I'd say...

100% this like.

Even some of the better ones, including the likes of Liverpool, dont have that many banners if you analyse them properly.  It's the fact the banners are the spark for others to have little flags and scarves that is key.

http://static.sportskeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/make-us-dream-1427214159.jpg

I assume there's just a simple 'howay the lads' in black and white in the works?

How about on separate sheets (dunno the correct name for 'em :lol: ) like on that Liverpool pic with 'make us dream' ?

I like the chequered one too, though it'd look like a chequered flag from a race in b&w :lol:

I assume there's just a simple 'howay the lads' in black and white in the works?

How about on separate sheets (dunno the correct name for 'em [emoji38] ) like on that Liverpool pic with 'make us dream' ?

I like the chequered one too, though it'd look like a chequered flag from a race in b&w [emoji38]

My friends and I actually own a 5ft X 10ft banner (something like that) with "Howay The Lads" on. It's Black, White then Black and has two blue stars either side of the "The" in the middle, White row. It's featured on match of the day at Everton most noticeably.

This should feature more next season.

Got to be scary banners as well.  Im not sure which Turkish club has 'Welcome To Hell' but I like it.

I agree with this and it should be intimidating for the opponent. However, I suspect it's intended to be pro Newcastle and positive in its infancy. At least until we're seen to not be trouble makers or anti-anything.

Again... I will hopefully find out more tomorrow as will "wor jackie". I think there's one or two people who've been more involved than me to date in this particular group so I cannot gan in all guns blazing [emoji38]

Got to be scary banners as well.  Im not sure which Turkish club has 'Welcome To Hell' but I like it.

I agree with this and it should be intimidating for the opponent. However, I suspect it's intended to be pro Newcastle and positive in its infancy. At least until we're seen to not be trouble makers or anti-anything.

Again... I will hopefully find out more tomorrow as will "wor jackie". I think there's one or two people who've been more involved than me to date in this particular group so I cannot gan in all guns blazing [emoji38]

Although my comment was tongue in cheek, what I mean is that some of the greatest quotes attributed to Newcastle United have to be rammed down the oppositions throat as well as motivate the home lot.

Off the top of my head, the likes of SBR, King Kev, Jackie Milburn, SuperMac, Gazza etc need to be shown somehow, even famous words of commentators.

The Sir Bobby quote has been done but appreciation to other legends has to be a priority in my opinion. 

I assume copyrighted stuff like the club crest isnt allowed?

That's to be discussed with the club. It may have been already but if so I wasn't there / haven't read about it.

I'll bring it up tonight and ask if the club can extend their own flag / scarf range with all proceedings going to the NUFC foundation and reproduction of further materials. :thup:

Then one of the main men can take it up with the club. It's a long shot but we'll see.

Thanks to all doing this. Top idea. If it catches on like the scarves at shearers  testimonial it will be mega. Some great ideas all over this thread.

What a sight that was! Obviously that's not going to happen every week but it would be incredible if we could get something similar going for our first home game v Huddersfield.

How shit (or otherwise) is this? My attempt at 'keeping it simple but not so simple it's boring' :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/Xo5IUwm.png

Could be the shield from the crest if the copyright stuff allows and it looks better