Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Shouldn't be getting on the pitch ahead of youngsters when we're cruising 4-0 up. Hopefully stays on as a coach due to the amount of praise he's getting behind the scenes.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I just don’t agree. I saw a supposed winger with no pace, no goal threat (in the PL) and zero real ability to make things happen away from set pieces. Just a poor footballer who like so many before him benefited from our huge lack of ambition and lack of focus on targeted upgrades. I know your attitude is ‘well he’s only on the field for 10 mins, who cares?’ But to me, and admittedly I occasionally get irritated by daft things, it just screams ‘club not there yet / woeful academy’ when he’s coming off the bench every game. He doesn’t belong anywhere near a club with any ambition, let alone our ambitions.

Have you ever known him to come on when 1. There have been better players available and/or 2. The game hasn't already been wrapped up? That's why it's a 'who cares?' - if we were 1-0 down and he's coming on with better players on the bench, my reaction is nearer to yours, but because that's never happened it isn't. Ritchie coming on at all reflects our injury situation, same with Dummett. 

You're taking it too seriously and going hyperbolic imo, if I may say so something that's not uncommon with you once you've made your mind up and started spinning yourself a yarn about a player. I haven't made that switch from him being the personification of the triumph over adversity Rafa-era player (if you ever did) to the personification of the lowest form of ambition under Ashley, post Rafa. Admittedly I tuned out in the Bruce-era, but if life's taught me anything it's that success and ambition really are a personally motivated thing and we have no idea how he measures it, some it'll be money, others game time, others a settled family etc. We have no idea what Ritchie's is, but it's never once been obvious to me that his effort for the club has waned for whatever his motivation is. 

And again, I think we've gone through this before, but we really don't know just how much of an impact he has behind the scenes. I'm not advocating paying tens of thousands a week under FFP for a cheerleader long-term, we apparently had that with Alan Smith in 09-10 and I absolutely hated him, but I had to admit that if the players kept saying it (as they do with Ritchie) that it was probably a net positive not really worth kicking up a fuss over in the short term. Whatever you think of him, it seems that within the group he's seen as someone who is professional and keeps the standards high, even if it's only with his personality and not his own performances. He's over the hill, that's obvious, but I fucking loved him for a good few seasons and I don't think I'm alone on that one. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Posted (edited)

Didn’t he score the winner (from open play) in wins against Arsenal and ManU in that Rafa period .

I feel like Eddie Howe knows a bit about what he’s doing, and if  he has valued having him around, then he’s been valuable 

Edited by Superior Acuña

He's stolen a living for two years. Like him as I do, he's essentially been running around a training pitch without an iota of pressure earning upwards of 30 thousand pounds week

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

He's stolen a living for two years. Like him as I do, he's essentially been running around a training pitch without an iota of pressure earning upwards of 30 thousand pounds week

Aye, I hate this he might be good having around etc.  This is professional sport we are talking about, should be nowhere near the playing side of the club if he's staying.

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Loads of them are, arguably all of them are, and some more than others. Yet for some reason Ritchie is singled out, then on the other side of the argument with the likes of Mark Gillespie it's 'best job in the world' or they're just not even brought up at all, it makes no sense. 

7 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Didn’t he score the winner (from open play) in memorable wins against Arsenal and ManU in that Rafa period 

He was instrumental in 18/19, 2 goals and 8 assists for a relegation battling team. This rewriting of his peak era with us is just daft. 

Not about to start shitting on him. Everything that’s been posted are known knows. If these are his final acts in the shirt, so be it. He’s given us a bunch of years and a big part of why we came back up.

Our whole setup now is totally different and he’s just relic of those previous times. He’s a good lad and am sure he’d be playing better with a run of games which he’s not had at all.

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Not about to start shitting on him. Everything that’s been posted are known knows. If these are his final acts in the shirt, so be it. He’s given us a bunch of years and a big part of why we came back up.

Our whole setup now is totally different and he’s just relic of those previous times. He’s a good lad and am sure he’d be playing better with a run of games which he’s not had at all.

Absolutely this. 

Man City (h) was a pen. Can't recall the other (s?)

Ritchie's a top man. One of the best value signings in my lifetime. 

Posted (edited)

Not sure if he’s a good lad or not. He weirdly gets a free pass for defending Mike Ashley for some reason, too. 

Edited by Ronaldo

I’ve heard he only gets brought on as a favour from Howe in order to receive his appearance fee.

he’s in financial turmoil because apparently the lad who got hit in the bollocks with the corner flag ended up suing him, and he’s paying him off in monthly instalments. make of that what you will.

4 minutes ago, Big River said:

I’ve heard he only gets brought on as a favour from Howe in order to receive his appearance fee.

he’s in financial turmoil because apparently the lad who got hit in the bollocks with the corner flag ended up suing him, and he’s paying him off in monthly instalments. make of that what you will.

Explains why he needs a HGV license as well.