Mo Diamé to be released

BeloEmre

It's annoying watching him being pedestrian in midfield, watching the game pass him by without making any attempt to close players down or chasing loose balls.

Absolute nonsense, he was all over Pogba first half

It's annoying watching him being pedestrian in midfield, watching the game pass him by without making any attempt to close players down or chasing loose balls.

Like wtf is this? Sure he must have got near the most interceptions/tackles in 2018

Like wtf is this? Sure he must have got near the most interceptions/tackles in 2018

The most tackles in 2018 in the Premiership, he did.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont think he has been awful at all, just a very limited footballer in a position he has been playing in for under a year

Agree. I think it's our attacking players who have been the most disappointing, none of them look even remotely dangerous. Cardiff are equally shite, but the cheap but good Murphy twin has looked far more dangerous than any of our forwards.

Guest reefatoon

Everyone is atrocious so far. Confidence is on the floor and nobody seems to have it in them to try and lift it. Not one player you can think of that could turn it around.

Everyone is atrocious so far. Confidence is on the floor and nobody seems to have it in them to try and lift it. Not one player you can think of that could turn it around.

That's what happens when you have absolute zero quality in the squad. Lets be honest we do not have 1 decent player at all. Just bang average shite and complete utter dross

That's what happens when you have absolute zero quality in the squad. Lets be honest we do not have 1 decent player at all. Just bang average shite and complete utter dross

Can't believe Gayle and Merino got us to 10th by themselves last season.

Was shit today. Should have been running that midfield fed by Shelvey, but was nowhere to be seen. The couple of times he did get the ball he wasted it with badly executed flicks.

That's where I'm getting confused, I see Shelvey as the playmaker, and Diame as the midfield enforcer whose role is more breaking up opposition play rather than running the show.

Can't believe Gayle and Merino got us to 10th by themselves last season.

Fucks sake we finished 10th on 44 points having lost 18 games out of 38 having over achieved massively. Finishing 10th on 44 points just shows how outside of half a dozen teams how utterly lopsided the league is

This team and squad was utter shite last year we just got lucky on certain occasions and fine margins went our way, Other teams have spent and tried to improve wheras we have went backwards hence why we have 3 points from 10 and now need 37 points from 28 games to survive

Was s*** today. Should have been running that midfield fed by Shelvey, but was nowhere to be seen. The couple of times he did get the ball he wasted it with badly executed flicks.

That's where I'm getting confused, I see Shelvey as the playmaker, and Diame as the midfield enforcer whose role is more breaking up opposition play rather than running the show.

That would work too.  The way Shelvey plays, he seems to sit deep and look to give the ball to someone further up to create the chance.  If we had a spoiling CM, Shelvey could push up and play as an advanced playmaker.  It just seems that if Shelvey wants to stay deep, we'd need an AM as an outlet for him, which Diame didn't do today.

Either way, Diame is neither an enforcer or a creator.  He's adding nothing at the minute.

Shelvey’s coming so deep to get the ball because otherwise he’d never see it. Our defence and “midfield enforcer” should be getting the ball to Shelvey higher up, without him having to be a libero and collect the ball from Dummet’s feet.

There’s a load of reactionary ‘black and white thinking’ going on at the moment. We were shite and lucky last season touted as support for we are shite and have no hope this season, is getting trotted out in various posts. For me we haven’t been far away in a number of games, against top six sides. If we’d had the rub of the green and turned a draw into a win, or a loss or two into a draw and a win, I suspect the confidence gained would have subsequently led to much better performances. As well as the obvious lack of a finisher, Diame’s dip in form, well, it is not a dip really just a return to average from the outstanding series of performances he put in last season, is central to our current plight. Luck aside, we need Mo to get in touch with his internal Luke Cage and superhero the fuck out of those cheeky bastards who want to nick our ball and give it to their mates to play with. Hope to see him peak again post Xmas. Hope aside, I think we need another viable option to step-up or (back to hoping)  be signed in January.

Shelvey’s coming so deep to get the ball because otherwise he’d never see it. Our defence and “midfield enforcer” should be getting the ball to Shelvey higher up, without him having to be a libero and collect the ball from Dummet’s feet.

For some reason Scott Parker flashed into my mind and I immediately remembered his fucking twirl and the fact that he never in his whole career passed a ball forwards and my mind just went 'Nope!'.

Someone like peak Cabaye would be good - someone who could tackle and also pass the ball forwards.  Unfortunately none of our team fit this description, and unless we break the bank in January, I don't think we'll get another 'visionary' midfielder to sit behind Shelvey.

Shelvey plays deep because Lascelles, Fernandez and Dummett can't pass the ball.  We massively miss Lejeune. I'd give Schar a chance instead of fernandez or lascelles or we might as well be playing Shelvey as a sweeper

Ironically, those three were pretty solid today. If anything, Yedlin was the weak link.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa sticks with Fernandez and Lascelles for the next few games, at least.