Mo Diamé to be released

BeloEmre

Can he refine his craft further over the summer and improve or will he be sacrificed if we bring someone else in?

He won't refine his craft but he shouldn't play as many games. This good run won't last forever, not at his age.

We need someone who can compete for that spot with him.

He's only 30 like, providing he keeps in shape he should be able to keep his current role for at least another couple of seasons like. I cannot see any reason he couldn't play all 38 games next season outside of injury and suspension.

Merino will hopefully be better equipped next season too but Hayden can probably be replaced.

Can he refine his craft further over the summer and improve or will he be sacrificed if we bring someone else in?

He won't refine his craft but he shouldn't play as many games. This good run won't last forever, not at his age.

We need someone who can compete for that spot with him.

At his age? 30?! Think of every dominant central midfielder the PL has ever had, they all went to 32/33 easily before the downturn.

I’m not saying he’s on a par with the Keane’s etc but a few seasons of this would have him in the same league as the best central midfielders we’ve had at our club since the 90’s.

Can he replicate the form next season though. That’s the risk.. he’s playing like a 20m+ player “at the moment”

If Rafa stays then I think he’ll keep faith with him.

He's not going to refine his craft, I don't think if it was ever that bad as people made out, maybe just needed some direction from Rafa and confidence to do his stuff. He's not top class by any means, but it will take a bit of money to get a better replacement IMO. He's very good at closing players down, and can get forward as well.

I think hes done enough to earn himself a place as a squad player next season, but he's definitely a very average player, who is playing out of his skin at the moment and that wont last forever, I think its still an area we could do with a big upgrade with hopefully Merino stepping it up next season too.

Don't really see why his current form is expected to drop unless his role changes. His bad performances came from playing in a position not suited for him.

His fitness has remarkably improved too. He looked like he was about to collapse after 60 minutes last season.

He’s always been a good player but he’s absolutely playing out of his skin atm. I’d be happy for him and Shelvey to play next season. Merino is a decent backup option too. CM is probably one of our least pressing concerns imo. An upgrade on Hayden maybe but we’ve got other areas that need addressing first.

We could definitely use an all rounder type option in midfield. Someone like Cabaye when he was with us. Feel Shelvey, Merino & Hayden all have good but very specific qualities. Merino I think can be that player but seems to fade quite badly & isn't the quickest.

• 2 weeks later...