Mo Diamé to be released

BeloEmre

• 1 month later...

He told the Chronicle: "The situation is still the same: I need two more starts to get one extra year.

"But, I spoke with the club, and when we were talking about my contract, I asked for two years, and they don’t want that.

"Because we know what they want for this club; it’s difficult to get an extension when you are over 30 here.

"It’s not a problem for me; it’s football and part of the job.

"If I get the opportunity to stay, I will stay.

"And, if not, I will go somewhere else and enjoy my football."

When asked if he gets the feeling he will be here next season, Diame added: "I don’t know at all!

"I’m trying to enjoy it as much as I can because it’s amazing playing here with all the fans, and more when we’ve got an atmosphere like this and we are winning games.

"So, I’m just trying to enjoy it as much as I can.

"And, after, we’ll see what happens.

"I will be fine, of course.

"As I’ve said, being a player who played for ten years in this country – it opens you a lot of doors. I will be fine.

"But, as I’ve said since the beginning: I’m so happy here and I’m enjoying my days in Newcastle. So, we will see."

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-2-3-liverpool-rafa-16227676

Mo Diame, who is now set to leave Tyneside on a free transfer this summer.

The Senegalese cannot now meet the 25-start clause in his contract which would automatically trigger a new one-year deal, and Benitez all-but confirmed at his pre-match press conference that Diame is on course for pastures new at the end of the season.

So Diame wanted a 2 year contract but if he'd started 25 games he'd have got a 1 year extension. Would Diame have to have accepted that? Did Rafa stop selecting Diame to start for football reasons or contract extension reasons? I presume Diame couldn't have got a 1 year extension and then still be sold?

Guest neesy111

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-2-3-liverpool-rafa-16227676

The Senegalese cannot now meet the 25-start clause in his contract which would automatically trigger a new one-year deal, and Benitez all-but confirmed at his pre-match press conference that Diame is on course for pastures new at the end of the season.

I presume Diame couldn't have got a 1 year extension and then still be sold?

Well yes, he can't be sold if he's out contract.

I presume Diame couldn't have got a 1 year extension and then still be sold?

Well yes, he can't be sold if he's out contract.

No, I mean he gets the 1 year contract but NUFC sell him for a fee (so Diame could have still got a 2 year+ contract elsewhere).

Diame made it very clear he did not want the 1 year extension to be triggered. He will end up somewhere like Leeds and could do a decent job for them if they use him correctly.

Still perplexed we used him as a no 10 for most of the Championship season really.

Bye Mo :(

Thoroughly likeable bloke and brought plenty to the table, his form in the second half of last season will hopefully ensure him some level of cult hero status here (along with his worldy against Brighton.)

• 5 weeks later...