Mo Diamé to be released

BeloEmre

Was s*** today. Should have been running that midfield fed by Shelvey, but was nowhere to be seen. The couple of times he did get the ball he wasted it with badly executed flicks.

That's where I'm getting confused, I see Shelvey as the playmaker, and Diame as the midfield enforcer whose role is more breaking up opposition play rather than running the show.

That would work too.  The way Shelvey plays, he seems to sit deep and look to give the ball to someone further up to create the chance.  If we had a spoiling CM, Shelvey could push up and play as an advanced playmaker.  It just seems that if Shelvey wants to stay deep, we'd need an AM as an outlet for him, which Diame didn't do today.

Either way, Diame is neither an enforcer or a creator.  He's adding nothing at the minute.

I agree, he's not a very good player, but I don't think he's the reason we can barely manage a decent effort on goal in 90 mins. Defensively we were fine yesterday, he played his part in that, I think our real problems are further forward, whether that's the wide areas or up front.

Was s*** today. Should have been running that midfield fed by Shelvey, but was nowhere to be seen. The couple of times he did get the ball he wasted it with badly executed flicks.

That's where I'm getting confused, I see Shelvey as the playmaker, and Diame as the midfield enforcer whose role is more breaking up opposition play rather than running the show.

That would work too.  The way Shelvey plays, he seems to sit deep and look to give the ball to someone further up to create the chance.  If we had a spoiling CM, Shelvey could push up and play as an advanced playmaker.  It just seems that if Shelvey wants to stay deep, we'd need an AM as an outlet for him, which Diame didn't do today.

Either way, Diame is neither an enforcer or a creator.  He's adding nothing at the minute.

I agree, he's not a very good player, but I don't think he's the reason we can barely manage a decent effort on goal in 90 mins. Defensively we were fine yesterday, he played his part in that, I think our real problems are further forward, whether that's the wide areas or up front.

Totally agree. Yesterday, we played a defensive 4 with Dummett and Yedlin largely staying back.  Shelvey was left having to come deep to collect and was faced with Richie or Kenedy who were unable to get the ball past Southampton's midfield screen or Muto who was running the 10 channel and wide, even though he was alongside Perez.  Perez and Diame were nowhere to be seen for most of the game.

We'd be much better if we had a 9 who could compete the long ball or a 10/AM who was happy getting the ball to feet under pressure.  Maybe the cheapest option would be to get a basic DM and use Shelvey as a AM and keep him forward.  We cold even forget about wingers and pack the centre of midfield or go for wide forwards.  The first time anyone actually ran at Souhampton yesterday was Atsu in about the 90th minute.

Best CM. Was a fantastic player and would be plying his trade for a top, top club if playing now.

*Edit* - Rob Lee, not Diame. Diame is fucking wank.

Thanks for clearing that up :thup:

P.S. Rafa, please see above: Shinner has true insights into those ticcy-tacky-tactic-things AND he can clearly spot a good midfielder from a less good one. Worth listening to me thinks...

Best CM. Was a fantastic player and would be plying his trade for a top, top club if playing now.

*Edit* - Rob Lee, not Diame. Diame is fucking wank.

P.S. Rafa, please see above: Shinner has true insights into those ticcy-tacky-tactic-things AND he can clearly spot a good midfielder from a less good one. Worth listening to me thinks...

I don't think Rafa is in need of anyone's advice about what a good midfield player looks like, he just needs to be given the money and support to go out and buy one.

*Edit* - Rob Lee, not Diame. Diame is f***ing w***.

I don't think Rafa is in need of anyone's advice about what a good midfield player looks like, he just needs to be given the money and support to go out and buy one.

Must be painful for him.  Didn't he have Gerrard and Alonso as his CM pairing at one stage?  Having to deal with shite like Diame now must be killing him.

A lot of it is due to the fact that we often don't have a lot of possession which means our midfielders don't make that many passes in general. And we are also pretty direct, not much in the way of build-up.

A lot of our attacks are get the ball to Shelvey, he'll ping it behind the defence and hopefully create a goalscoring opportunity.

We desperately need an upgrade in CM this January

add it to the fucking list :lol:

EDIT: in fact it's funny going through the threads of various and the common theme of them all is that our "best" players need a break but there's either literally no competition in some spots or in others rafa simply doesn't trust the ones he has

2nd half of the season is going to be very interesting this time if we don't get 3-4 new players

His current deal will expire at the end of the season but the conditions of the contract he signed in 2016 mean his future is in his own hands.

It's in the manager's hand whether he reaches the necessary number of appearances for a contract extension, Lee.

This club will never move on if we continue to keep players like this honestly I give up - roll on the people saying we need players for a squad doesn't matter how shit they are but you still need players.

This is what is making you lose hope?

I’ve been lost hope but regardless.

Diame is our first choice CM. Getting a new contract is ok. We need to shift Hayden and get someone in to make Diame the back up.

Need to shift both though as both are not good enough even as squad players imho

• 3 weeks later...