Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Didn't he refuse to go out on loan and chose to stay here picking up his wages for twiddling his thumbs?

Wouldn't you? Footballers or not they are still human, and it's human nature to go for something for nothing if possible. Ultimately we are all evolved to do as little work as possible for the maximum gain. Yes there are some anomalies who seek glory above all else, but they are a rare breed

I'd drop into L1 if I was him.

He's 33 now, if he wants to actually play a full season this coukd be his last chance.

He was never blessed with pace but he's a decent all round defender. He'd do alright at a Derby or Bolton, one of the larger clubs who'll have a shot at promotion and can still pay him a good wage.

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Wouldn't you? Footballers or not they are still human, and it's human nature to go for something for nothing if possible. Ultimately we are all evolved to do as little work as possible for the maximum gain. Yes there are some anomalies who seek glory above all else, but they are a rare breed

Fine by me, I just don't personally see the need to offer any eulogies given he was basically taking pay for nothing in his last year here.

23 minutes ago, TRon said:

Didn't he refuse to go out on loan and chose to stay here picking up his wages for twiddling his thumbs?

Clark went to Sheffield United for the season. 

Did well his first couple of seasons but clearly needed to be moved on earlier but that's not his fault, was classic Ashley extending his contract because it was the cheap thing to do

Decent enough servant for us and ultimately that red card proved to be a blessing

The fact he along with many others were still at the club even post takeover having been part of a Championship promotion side a few years prior sums up the whole Ashley era. Average players on long contracts hard to shift. Unlike a good number, however, Clark can leave with his head held high and with good thanks from the club and supporters for his time here which was largely decent enough given what we were as a club and his limited talent. He scored vital goals and played a huge role in us going back up under Rafa and proved to be good value for money. I wish him good luck, but also I’m glad the likes of him will never be accepted here at this now more ambitious and serious club, not even as a squad player. We still have a number to shift on, but that will come.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The question is, would Joelinton have ended up as the enforcer without Clark’s red? Would it have happened anyway, just taken longer?

I’ve read that Howe identified Joelinton more as that type of player during his round of interviews for the job when detailing how he could add value to the existing players. He basically evaluated every player at the club for the new owners and saw Joelinton as integral to how he wanted us to play and how he saw the player himself developing.

We now have a coach as methodical and as analytical as Rafa when it comes to players and it’s showing in the huge turnaround in players’ games like Joelinton who is on the verge of becoming a full international for Brazil when under 2 years ago he was a laughing stock among our own fans (something I myself was guilty of) ad deemed a huge flop and simply not cut out for PL football by so-called experts.

Thank god Howe saw different and knows better. He’s been transformative for Joelinton. It has to be noted, however, the player himself has shown a great aptitude to develop, change and become the best version of himself he can be and the beauty of that is he is only just starting and will get better and better, as will we. Happy days!

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I know it didn't matter in the end, but his lasting legacy in my eyes will be that idiotic decision to get himself sent off in that crucial game against Norwich in the first half.

It was a piss poor challenge like. Then we went to Saudi and he started a fight with one of their players, in front of our new owners iirc.