Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He'll be fine man, he'll be mates with most of the squad and they'll likely just get along like normal colleagues.

I doubt he's going to be curled up in the dressing room every day blasting Sparklehorse, crying.

I really doubt he will be fine like after being left out of the squad.

1 hour ago, SAK said:

Would be pretty brutal to exclude him from training. Keeps him part of the group which is good for his well-being and team morale (would affect others seeing a team mate banished), suppose it’s also another body for training matches and tactical drills.

I don't know in the UK, but in Spain preventing a player with a senior contract from training with the first team squad will get you in trouble with the PFA.

Edited by Village Idiot

8 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I think before the Norwich incident he was barely in the minds of most people barring complaining about why he was in the team. That red card against Norwich was the last straw for most (including me). Could easily be the difference between staying up this season or not.

Yeah but that’s the silly thing. Before that he was just crap but inoffensive. He made one stupid decision in the heat of the moment (not the first or last person to in this team) and all of a sudden people have used that as an excuse to give him loads of abuse. Yeah we dropped points, but that wouldn’t have mattered if the team in general hadn’t been crap for most of the season. 

Guest reefatoon
6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He'll still very likely be able to act like a normal human being around his team mates though.

Not what I was saying though. Players won’t be busting a gut in training if there is no point, they’ll just go through the motions. I just can’t see how that can be beneficial for anyone involved. It’s a bit of a weird situation altogether really. Having players there that have no chance of playing is just an odd concept.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Not what I was saying though. Players won’t be busting a gut in training if there is no point, they’ll just go through the motions. I just can’t see how that can be beneficial for anyone involved. It’s a bit of a weird situation altogether really. Having players there that have no chance of playing is just an odd concept.

Like I've suggested. Give him a mutual termination. Pay his wages. Let him leave and decide his future. Him wasting his finally years at our training ground is really no good for anyone.

If he's interested in coaching, I'd let him learn alongside our coaches. At least then he would be contributing something worthwhile.

He's not a bad guy though. Far from it. He must be gutted.

4 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He'll be fine man, he'll be mates with most of the squad and they'll likely just get along like normal colleagues.

I doubt he's going to be curled up in the dressing room every day blasting Sparklehorse, crying.

Yeah, and all he has to do to cheer himself up is look at his bank balance.

He is not a negative influence despite his mishandling of high pressure match moments. No point freezing him out as it may affect some of his teammates. Let him train with the squad, show him what he is missing out so he considers a move in the summer. At the same time, it shows a presence to the rest that if they do not perform, they will be next.

7 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Appreciated the Sparklehorse reference. Great band. Linkous sadly missed.

Clark helped us in the Championship and did as well as he could, he looked really comfortable on the ball and scored a few good goals too. The last few seasons though have been rough. He's 32, which isn't super old, but yeah it is what it is.

Can de-registered players not play with the reserves?

Clark has never really come across as a cunt to me. Silly mistakes on the pitch but always seems professional. Think he would be fine helping the kids through when playing for the reserves.

• 5 months later...

Will remember him for his sending off against Norwich and his sending off in a friendly in Saudi Arabia for punching an opponent. Was good in the championship and absolutely hopeless in the premier league 

He was our player of the season in the Championship, and in the Premier League under Rafa became a dependable squad player, should have moved on 2/3 years ago as he regressed but as with all our outgoings isn't there fault that didn't happen.

Will be remembered for being sent off and turning Joelinton into Prime Viera, but wish him well and have no real Ill will towards him.