Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Will remember him for his sending off against Norwich and his sending off in a friendly in Saudi Arabia for punching an opponent. Was good in the championship and absolutely hopeless in the premier league 

I loved that pointless sending off in a friendly! There was really no way back after that and it still makes me laugh.

But yes, a good player for us at the time and in the situation we were in. I'd love to see him have some late success with an ambitious Championship team.

Opinions of these kind of players are going to be unfairly tainted because they were kept on far too long due to poor management of the club. He was genuinely a really solid signing who has ended up staying here 6 years instead of 3.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

He was our player of the season in the Championship, and in the Premier League under Rafa became a dependable squad player, should have moved on 2/3 years ago as he regressed but as with all our outgoings isn't there fault that didn't happen.

Will be remembered for being sent off and turning Joelinton into Prime Viera, but wish him well and have no real Ill will towards him.

Fucking tosser for getting sent off, can’t believe he did that - absolute moron.

fucking amazing insight for sacrificing himself with that red card knowing that’s the start of a new chapter for joelington - absolute genius.

He's lucky everything went our way 2nd half of the season because that sending off could have sent us down. 

We got a couple of good seasons out of him though, but as others have stated he should have been moved on so e time ago. Same with gayle, Ritchie, dummett and darlow.

15 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He's lucky everything went our way 2nd half of the season because that sending off could have sent us down. 

We got a couple of good seasons out of him though, but as others have stated he should have been moved on so e time ago. Same with gayle, Ritchie, dummett and darlow.

I can’t even forgive him now even though it’s all ok, that first half sending off against Norwich was so unbelievable.

6 hours ago, PeepShow4life said:

Shows you how badly run and under funded we were under Ashley that even championship clubs won't buy our dead wood.

They just don't want to pay the wages, otherwise most of our cast offs are actually very good championship players, including Clark.

The Norwich one was bad, but that total embrassment to the club he provided when we were on Tour to the home of new owners man. That's the example he decided to set. 

Criminal that he stayed while Lejuene left. Thanks Brucey. 

I’m really not holding any grudges against players who weren’t up to speed by the time Howe had his first few games. Most of them were capable of better but had been trained poorly by Bruce and were shell shocked by mid season. Slow physically and mentally.

I think a Clark at 100% of his abilities would have been a solid 2nd/3rd choice for us before Burn came in.

He’ll do a job for one of those sides looking to get promoted. His level is definitely top end champo/bottom end PL. Which you may ridicule but still puts him ahead of 60% of every other defender in English football. He’s had a decent career.

Everyone was disgusted when Rafa signed him but he actually was a really good signing and very dependable even at the PL for few seasons. Solid pro too that never complained.

Bit sad how it ended for him here, we should have moved on from him a season or two ago and he would have been remembered as a cult hero.

Clark like a few others was signed to primarily get us promoted and he certainly played his part in that, he also played a part in helping us stay up to begin with 

It was clear he was out of his depth as each season went on but Ashley obviously saw giving him an extension as the cheaper option 

It's not his fault he was offered that extension so hopefully it's a case of thank him for his services, wish him well and we can move on.

On 01/08/2016 at 21:27, The College Dropout said:

I rarely have an opinion on players before we signed.  But this lad has been a part of some god awful Villa sides.  Sure he could be another Albrighton but I dunno.

In Rafa we trust I guess. 

Decided to check back on the start of this thread, see if opinions had changed, and found this little beauty :lol:

40 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Decided to check back on the start of this thread, see if opinions had changed, and found this little beauty :lol:

Who do I have an opinion on now?

I'll say how i've got to any conclusions. E.g. Botman - only seen Youtube clips and looked at stats from statsbomb / fbref. I say it with my chest - I don't pretend to know these players closely outside a few competitions and teams that I follow very closely.

Botman in, Clark out.

The Ashworth effect of one in one out continues.

See Hendrick/Gayle training with U23's and it gives you a nice 2+2=4 about our next incomings.