Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

10 minutes ago, Disco said:

Benfield 0-1 Stan for me this evening. Absolutely dogshit game and I missed the goal as I was getting a pint. Lovely stuff.

Would have been there tonight if I wasn't stuck on nightshift as it's a nice 15 minute walk for me. Looks like I dodged a bullet :lol:

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Would have been there tonight if I wasn't stuck on nightshift as it's a nice 15 minute walk for me. Looks like I dodged a bullet :lol:

Aye, Benfield is shorter walk for me than Grounsell which is handy but was a terrible affair. Though a wins a win and they’re up to 5th and a playoff place now. 

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Aye, Benfield is shorter walk for me than Grounsell which is handy but was a terrible affair. Though a wins a win and they’re up to 5th and a playoff place now. 

Aye same for me. About 15 mins to Benfield and about 25 mins to Stan. Missed Saturday though work and same tonight. Was there last Wednesday v Whitley which I thought was a decent game between 2 pretty good sides who'll both be top 6/7 this season.

Wouldn't mind Stan having 1 more season in NL before going up to the next league but of course it's no longer optional.

6 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye same for me. About 15 mins to Benfield and about 25 mins to Stan. Missed Saturday though work and same tonight. Was there last Wednesday v Whitley which I thought was a decent game between 2 pretty good sides who'll both be top 6/7 this season.

Wouldn't mind Stan having 1 more season in NL before going up to the next league but of course it's no longer optional.

Shildon at the weekend so a good marker to see if they’ve got in them to go up. I don’t think they have but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Hopefully the pitch has improved a bit. Was at the Redcar game Saturday and it was unbelievably direct compared to what they were playing earlier in the season because of it. Doesn't really suit their better players either.

17 minutes ago, Disco said:

Shildon at the weekend so a good marker to see if they’ve got in them to go up. I don’t think they have but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Hopefully the pitch has improved a bit. Was at the Redcar game Saturday and it was unbelievably direct compared to what they were playing earlier in the season because of it. Doesn't really suit their better players either.

Me and the lad I was stood with last Wednesday both noticed the state of the pitch. Really poor condition and sadly doesn't really lend itself to getting the ball down and trying to play football. Just so uneven and bobbly. 

2 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Shields lost 2-0 at home to West Allotment, last night. Two home defeats on the spin.

How's Dan Savage doing? I'm good mates with his Uncle and he looks a hell of a prospect - cracking lad too!

On 29/02/2024 at 10:25, Big Geordie said:

Shields lost 2-0 at home to West Allotment, last night. Two home defeats on the spin.

Mate of mine had just joined their newly formed supporters club. Already just shy of £200 members and by all accounts they've already raised a few £K in subscriptions and donations. They emailed the club a on Monday I think it was about arranging a meeting with them so that they couldn't work together to hopefully bring some stability and prosperity to proceedings but unsurprisingly they haven't bothered to respond.

He also reckons they were donated a turnstile form some security company a couple of months ago (no turnstile was one of the things their ground failed on last year) and its still just standing there outside. They haven't even bothered to install it.

Oh, and they still refuse to take card payment at the gate.

So, they've just rearranged the deckchairs on the titanic then (with the club being ran by 'new folk'?

Me and the lad I look after haven't seen since Sept. He's lost interest a bit, given what's happened. No wonder.

Fucking ridiculous.

Honestly if fans are paying to be on some sort of board and they are not keeping up their end, then surely there is someone to report them too.

He also reckons Malcolm Macdonald was at their home match last Saturday and was having an argument with one of the lads who's part of this newly formed Supporters Club telling him they were going on about things all wrong way.

Impression I get off him is that most the fans have now either stopped going or the ones that remain are just totally disillusioned with the club. 183 at their last home game says it all.

21 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

He also reckons Malcolm Macdonald was at their home match last Saturday and was having an argument with one of the lads who's part of this newly formed Supporters Club telling him they were going on about things all wrong way.

Impression I get off him is that most the fans have now either stopped going or the ones that remain are just totally disillusioned with the club. 183 at their last home game says it all.

He was before my time as a legend, but honestly I’ve met him a couple of times and there is something not quite right about Malcolm Macdonald like. I can’t put my finger on it, and I can’t really give a specific example, but do you know when you meet someone and you just think there is something off?

I think my stepdad feels the same way, he does a lot for North Shields Athletic, which my stepdad is involved in. He’s not said it per say, but I get the impression that my stepdad thinks he’s a bit arrogant, but allows him to brush it over and still be in awe of him a bit because he was a club legend when my stepdad was young.

As for North Shields, I’ve told them at meetings, on social media etc. They simply just do not give a fuck.

They have a little club house there that sells cheap larger, and such, but they rarely have it open outside of matchdays. At the risk of bordering being disrespectful, but it’s in an area where they wouldn’t really have much of a problem gaining customers if they opened it up outside of match days and the very occasional Friday night.

They should easily be able to afford to have at least 1 paid staff member there as well.

York currently in the relegation zone, feels like the total points required to stay up in the national league is going to be quite high this year.

Alnwick going to have about six games a week at the end of the season, the number of cancellations they’ve had. They’ve managed one home game in four months.

Just a quick reminder/info. 

El Coastico is this coming Tuesday. 

Whitley Bay v North Shields. 

Can't see Shields getting anything from this unfortunately. But, survival is the name of the game this season. Just hope they can grab something. 

The turnstiles are now inside the ground. Not fitted as yet.

The Clubhouse are doing their best to push events and if their twitter feed is to be believed they have a fair few events booked in in the coming month or two. 

The supporters  association have only just emailed the Club in the last few days to request a meet up. I've not heard anything as yet as to how the request will be received by the committee. I don't think they can refuse with their current predicament being fairly piss poor and if they're arrogant enough to refuse fan involvement it'll be, in my opinion, a huge nail in the Clubs coffin. 

We'll come again if everyone is together moving forward. Let's just hope they are more receptive than the last attempt at getting the supporters involved. 

My local lads now with only Oxford City beneath them. Absolutely desperate, hate to see it. The sixth tier is as much a pig to get out of as the fifth one, too.

Spennymoor couldn't buy a win for months just a few weeks ago, relegation looked a real possibility, but they are in great form now and the playoffs might not be out of the question.

Darlington in great form too, beat Scunthorpe 4-0 and have now won 4 in a row and are just int he drop zone on goal difference. Steve Watson seems to have done a good job.

Blyth weren't playing tonight, but with Darlo and Kings Lynn in good form and them currently not being able to buy a win (looks like they only have 2 points from their last 8 games), plus potential worries with the takeover, it's not looking great.

8 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Stan playing tonight. Sadly I’m training the Stan youths and due to time constraints. I am unable to get along to watch it. 

I'm going along there tonight. Nice little local Derby to put the night in.

37 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'm going along there tonight. Nice little local Derby to put the night in.

Got a coach meeting at Newcastle little Benton academy until half eight as well so will have to check twitter for scores