Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's mad 16 years ago they were beating us, now they're losing at Spennymoor.

Ashley levels of ownership from first Swann and then Hilton. Amazing the club hasn’t gone under yet, but it’s close.

13 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I'm looking into it now. I'd rather Spenny won, and would prefer to be in the away end, but would be happy enough in the home end and watching as a neutral.

I'm looking at the metro now. I'd probably park in Jesmond and then it's just like 11 stops and 24 mins on the Metro, which is fine, but then, will services be running on Good Friday, and will they be limited?

Are you Spenny?

You can get tickets for the spenny end on the clubs website like. 

yeah I’m from spenny. Was there tonight. 

Looks like the Metro is off all weekend, and there's a replacement bus service, but looks like a chew on [emoji38] (Jesmond to Heworth, and then Heworth to Bede). One of my Uni mates is from Jarrow, not seen him for like 5 months, but I'm working on getting him to go, saying he should go back to his roots this weekend, and can give me a lift, haha.

Really interesting game though, both in great form, and the margins are so fine at this stage. Might be difficult for the loser to get in the playoffs, particularly if it was South Shields.

Edited by Paullow

Heaton Stan up to 4th in the NL after a routine win at Tow Law tonight.

Shildon or Bishops will probably win them comfortably but the playoffs should be some spectacle.

IMG_3519.thumb.png.e0c8e18a9f7ae5d823857d491610b765.png

11 hours ago, Paullow said:

Looks like the Metro is off all weekend, and there's a replacement bus service, but looks like a chew on [emoji38] (Jesmond to Heworth, and then Heworth to Bede). One of my Uni mates is from Jarrow, not seen him for like 5 months, but I'm working on getting him to go, saying he should go back to his roots this weekend, and can give me a lift, haha.

Really interesting game though, both in great form, and the margins are so fine at this stage. Might be difficult for the loser to get in the playoffs, particularly if it was South Shields.

Was going to reply to your first post but good job i waited to see this. Yeah metros off and the bus is a bit of a nightmare(as is driving to that daft industrial estate). You could drive in and park on the housing estate before it to avoid the traffic faff on. Its only a short walk through to the stadium at the back of the estate.

37 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Was going to reply to your first post but good job i waited to see this. Yeah metros off and the bus is a bit of a nightmare(as is driving to that daft industrial estate). You could drive in and park on the housing estate before it to avoid the traffic faff on. Its only a short walk through to the stadium at the back of the estate.

I'm kind of friends of friends with the Shields Chairman's son, so a chance I might actually get to be in Geoff's box in a group, but waiting to see if that is confirmed. Hopefully would be able to get a lift in as honestly, I'm pathetic at driving in built up areas, and get easily flustered. Annoying about the Metro as 24 mins door to door would have been as good as could be expected.

19 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I'm kind of friends of friends with the Shields Chairman's son, so a chance I might actually get to be in Geoff's box in a group, but waiting to see if that is confirmed. Hopefully would be able to get a lift in as honestly, I'm pathetic at driving in built up areas, and get easily flustered. Annoying about the Metro as 24 mins door to door would have been as good as could be expected.

You would hate driving into the ind est then, one road in/out and an absolute nightmare ha. If you cant get a lift park somewhere like the Prince in Jarrow, busstop to the estate is opposite

What about direct train Hexham to Heworth and switch onto Metro there? The Metro is only off to Heworth - so I believe should still be running from there. It's even an easier interchange than Central.

If you have a bit of time to kill between changes there's The Swan just opposite.

Edited by ponsaelius

[emoji38] never been in TBF.

But going there you shouldn't have an issue with changeover. Then maybe just stay in the ground's bar a bit after full time to kill before timing the train back. Get the Pop App for the live times. It never runs to timetable at the moment but the live times are usually accurate so fine if you know how far a walk it is.

Edited by ponsaelius

44 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

What about direct train Hexham to Heworth and switch onto Metro there? The Metro is only off to Heworth - so I believe should still be running from there. It's even an easier interchange than Central.

If you have a bit of time to kill between changes there's The Swan just opposite.

Actually a good shout tbf. Didnt realise they were only off in town. Swan isnt that bad, mate runs it so was surprised the pints had improved from my last visit. Not difficult mind ha

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

Nice one, didn't think of that, I've never been past Newcastle on the Carlisle line, but seems there one every hour, so will definitely look into that if I can't get a lift in.

Weather is looking a lot better than it was earlier in the week, and certainly a lot better than Monday (if I was going to go to Spenny vs Farsley instead).

3 hours ago, Paullow said:

Nice one, didn't think of that, I've never been past Newcastle on the Carlisle line, but seems there one every hour, so will definitely look into that if I can't get a lift in.

Weather is looking a lot better than it was earlier in the week, and certainly a lot better than Monday (if I was going to go to Spenny vs Farsley instead).

Yeah it's one of those ones where I'm not sure people realise that some of the Northern trains actually continue through NCL after the Tyne Valley. They are practically different routes like in that they more or less completely empty out in Central and refill again with those heading south.

Similarly I used to commute from Prudhoe to Morpeth direct by train. It was long but actually weirdly convenient and easy. I was always the only one who stayed on both before and after NCL so used to always get my ticket checked twice. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Got a ticket in the away end, just by myself, getting the train from Hexham to Heworth, and then the Metro is just 4 stops after. Looking forward to it.

On 27/03/2024 at 02:17, Disco said:

Heaton Stan up to 4th in the NL after a routine win at Tow Law tonight.

Shildon or Bishops will probably win them comfortably but the playoffs should be some spectacle.

IMG_3519.thumb.png.e0c8e18a9f7ae5d823857d491610b765.png

Huge game at stan Monday v Birtley for the third place shout.

worthy of the £7 entrance fee easy. 

3 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Huge game at stan Monday v Birtley for the third place shout.

worthy of the £7 entrance fee easy. 

Hopefully a huge crowd in. I’m on hols otherwise I’d have made my way up. Probably for the best as my record at home this year is patchy.

4 hours ago, Disco said:

Hopefully a huge crowd in. I’m on hols otherwise I’d have made my way up. Probably for the best as my record at home this year is patchy.

Juggled my plans to ensure I’m there.

I could do with a warmer setting for once as it seems to piss down every time I go as of late

On 23/03/2024 at 17:30, Paullow said:

Huge match between them and Spennymoor on Friday, at Shields. If it was at Spenny, I would have gone. Spennymoor won their 6th match in a row and have completely turned their season around and also have a chance for the playoffs. Looking like 7 teams going for the last 3 spots.

image.thumb.png.5c1b230436e0c029c8311f6524433cfb.png

Didn’t realize Tamworth were doing so well again. Anyone know the story?

On 26/03/2024 at 22:01, Paullow said:

They might have a point like...

Fucking hell that’s shocking. Are there fewer refs taking the game up now (with the inevitable accompanying drop in quality)? I know that’s been the received wisdom for years but I just don’t know if it’s true.

Edit: the comments are fun though :lol:

Edited by leffe186

2 hours ago, Paullow said:

You here today @Chris L

Nah couldn’t make it. Listened to it instead. 

not the best result for us. But can’t grumble considering the run we been on. Go again Monday. 

Excellent results for Gateshead, and York.

York have moved well up with that result and are only a couple of points off their total from last season, a win and they will have more points than last season and you would think would surely be safe for another year.

@Yorkie

Edited by Stifler

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Excellent results for Gateshead, and York.

York have moved well up with that result and are only a couple of points off their total from last season, and win and they will have more points than last season and you would think would surely be safe for another year.

@Yorkie

Hartlepool doing Gateshead a favour too by beating Halifax. Good little cushion now.