Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Nah couldn’t make it. Listened to it instead. 

not the best result for us. But can’t grumble considering the run we been on. Go again Monday. 

Yeah, Spenny were disappointing, and Shields were by far the better side and could have been 2 or 3 up at half time. I did think their keeper looked good in that he was comfortable with the ball at his feet, and was good at rushing out, bit was a bit baffled when he was given MoTM as it would imply he was busy, and he barely had a save to make.

Rest of the results weren't great with the teams immediately around all winning Boston, Shields (obviously), Alfreton, Chester and Curzon Ashton, but a good chance to bounce back on Monday, but even to be in a position where the playoffs are a possibility is incredible considering where they were just 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Good crowd. Think it was announced as circa 3,160, and someone said there was around 350 in the away end. 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Excellent results for Gateshead, and York.

York have moved well up with that result and are only a couple of points off their total from last season, and win and they will have more points than last season and you would think would surely be safe for another year.

@Yorkie

They've really turned it around, thankfully. Three wins on the bounce has put daylight between them and the drop zone at the best possible time. 

More than 7500 there today, including 2k+ away fans. Brilliant win against the recently-crowned Champions.

Screenshot_20240329_184057_Photos.thumb.jpg.eb074cdad4bc04b08ee267dee1ccc4d9.jpg

Screenshot_20240329_184108_Photos.thumb.jpg.379ffb5455299d9fafbed196f286eda2.jpg

Screenshot_20240329_184115_Photos.thumb.jpg.027c10a2e0a33090dc06a8a675f70f18.jpg

How’s the supporters taking to the stadium now? @Yorkie

Their original home ground was arguably defined as being within the city centre, if not then it was certainly in amongst the residential areas, which is where you grew up I believe.

The new stadium is anything but, essentially put on to what we would consider Silverlink. Good access for the ring road, but not centrally located. I know a lot of fans were a bit unhappy with the move, and it had to overcome various obstacles during planning, and construction, which didn’t help things either.

Are fans starting to take to it?

If not, do you think they would if York started going up the leagues?

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

How’s the supporters taking to the stadium now? @Yorkie

Their original home ground was arguably defined as being within the city centre, if not then it was certainly in amongst the residential areas, which is where you grew up I believe.

The new stadium is anything but, essentially put on to what we would consider Silverlink. Good access for the ring road, but not centrally located. I know a lot of fans were a bit unhappy with the move, and it had to overcome various obstacles during planning, and construction, which didn’t help things either.

Are fans starting to take to it?

If not, do you think they would if York started going up the leagues?

Of all the many gripes about the club, I never really hear or see anything about the stadium. For all it's got that dearth of architectural character you associate with a lot of modern stadiums (and the location is crap), I think there's a general pride in having what is a genuinely high quality facility, befitting a club performing much better than the current one. There's a crop of young fans who build the atmosphere nicely too, but sadly let themselves down with regular anti-social behaviour. 

Removing it from the community makes it an absolute arse to get to from the centre, which is rubbish and easily the worst thing about it, but the ground itself is canny and I think people like it. 

BTW, I lived (literally) next to Bootham Crescent for a year or so but grew up outside of York. :thup:

3 hours ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, Spenny were disappointing, and Shields were by far the better side and could have been 2 or 3 up at half time. I did think their keeper looked good in that he was comfortable with the ball at his feet, and was good at rushing out, bit was a bit baffled when he was given MoTM as it would imply he was busy, and he barely had a save to make.

Rest of the results weren't great with the teams immediately around all winning Boston, Shields (obviously), Alfreton, Chester and Curzon Ashton, but a good chance to bounce back on Monday, but even to be in a position where the playoffs are a possibility is incredible considering where they were just 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Good crowd. Think it was announced as circa 3,160, and someone said there was around 350 in the away end. 

That's a hell of a crowd

Gateshead's match with Fylde was postponed after 2pm. Doesn't look like York have a match in that league, only 11 fixtures listed.

Spennymoor currently 1-1 at home to Farsley, Darlington 1 up at Warrington, but Shields and Blyth are 0-1 and 0-2 down respectively in away matches to playoff hopefuls.

All 6 NE sides were paired together in the 8th tier. Consett 2 up on Stockton, Newton Aycliffe vs Dunston abandoned at half time (was 1-2), Hebburn vs Ashington was postponed, but Hebburn and Dunston will both be encouraged by the score at Consett.

I don't usually focus too much on the Northern League, but a big game at the top end with the top 2 playing, Bishop Auckland 0 Shildon 2 at half time.

Edited by Paullow

On 29/03/2024 at 16:39, Yorkie said:

Of all the many gripes about the club, I never really hear or see anything about the stadium. For all it's got that dearth of architectural character you associate with a lot of modern stadiums (and the location is crap), I think there's a general pride in having what is a genuinely high quality facility, befitting a club performing much better than the current one. There's a crop of young fans who build the atmosphere nicely too, but sadly let themselves down with regular anti-social behaviour. 

Removing it from the community makes it an absolute arse to get to from the centre, which is rubbish and easily the worst thing about it, but the ground itself is canny and I think people like it. 

BTW, I lived (literally) next to Bootham Crescent for a year or so but grew up outside of York. :thup:

Stadium sponsor being LNER makes me smile, given my usage of that in October :lol:  a real *I know what that is* feeling 

Spennymoor won 3-1, Shields lost 0-2 to Curzon, Darlo with a great 3-1 win, but Blyth lost 0-2.

Looking like 5 teams going for the final 3 playoff spots, hopefully at least one of Spenny or Shields get there. Alfreton play Curzon on Saturday, and they play Spenny the following week, but don't think there's any more H2Hs after that:

image.thumb.png.fd51086742cc11f32bc8341fb10920f3.png

Blyth back to looking over their shoulder again after back to back Easter defeats and conceding that 99th minute equaliser the week before:

Blyth vs Rushall on Saturday, and Darlo vs Farsley the week after:

image.thumb.png.1836eed2cb5dcf269a39d5a9c7320cb8.png

Bishop Auckland 1 Shildon 3. It looks like the below 5 will finish in the top 5, but just need to sort out 3-5 positions, and more importantly, 1 and 2. I was hoping Bishops would go up as it's a bigger town than Shildon, Shildon struggled last season in the NPL, Bishops used to be much higher up the pyramid when I was growing up, and it seems they have been hoping for promotion for a good few years, but have just never really in contention. Still in their hands, but much less margin for error now - they could have pretty much sealed the title had they won today.

image.thumb.png.a3eb8c36ba05e61984bd47a8f58aa222.png

Edit - didn't realise WA had played 35 matches, so maybe a small chance for Guisborough or Boro Rangers, at a push, to make them, but they'd pretty much have to win every match, and still hope for favours.

Edited by Paullow

14 hours ago, OpenC said:

Really windy as well though, it's a weird forecast tomorrow. Going to go and watch Alnwick at Ponteland I think.

Should be a canny game that one. Alnwick still got a good shot at the title with their games in hand.

Can't weigh them up at the minute, they were looking unstoppable early season but the form has become really erratic.  I think Alnwick are looking the only ones who could realistically go up given the grounds of the other teams up there, but you want to do it as champions rather than by default like.

49 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Can't weigh them up at the minute, they were looking unstoppable early season but the form has become really erratic.  I think Alnwick are looking the only ones who could realistically go up given the grounds of the other teams up there, but you want to do it as champions rather than by default like.

How does promotion work in that league, is it just one up, and will get passed down if those at the top can't make it?

Would have been cool for Wallington (from my perspective with there being very few teams who would get covered by a Hexham paper) to have gone up, but it's out in the sticks and it's kind of more like a Sunday league ground.

Basically that aye, I think you have to finish top five and have a suitable ground and you can then go up on application rather than merit if there's nobody else. I can't believe how good Wallington are like, long-standing fans tell me they've always been great.