Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

In the National League North:

Shields (S) won 7-0 to move into 5th

Spennymoor just drew 1-1, could be an important point, but the playoffs are not in their hands

Darlington had a huge 2-0 win, and their position suddenly looks a lot better (in terms of staying up)

But Blyth lost 1-2 at home, and it's looking pretty grim for them judging by their last 2 fixtures. Got to be the favourites to go down now, unfortunately

Edited by Paullow

Blyth in real trouble  - and it's totally self inflicted. Been circling the bowl the last few seasons - luck may run out this time. :(

Perma-crock JJ Hooper out for rest of season too.

Was at the Gateshead game today. Don't think I've ever been to a game where the wind was such a considerable influence on a game before

Good atmosphere and good turnout from the Macclesfield fans too. Robbie Savage blending in as usual in a massive, luminous white jacket

The wind was atrocious like, the game was all but unplayable at Ponteland. Was getting to the stage that the keeper had to play it out not as a tactical choice but more because it would potentially have looped back into his own goal if he lofted it.

If any of you non league attenders ever go to a ground which is particularly interesting, by the way, I would appreciate an @ heads up - I'm enjoying photographing non league but more from a ground ambience and crowds perspective than documenting the game. 

Not so much fenced in 3G pitches surrounded by houses, but anywhere which is a bit old or historical or is overlooked by something impressive or unusual (I'm checking to see if there's any pitches anywhere near the steelworks on Teesside, by way of example)

Cheers in advance if you know or discover anywhere :thup:

11 hours ago, joeyt said:

Was at the Gateshead game today. Don't think I've ever been to a game where the wind was such a considerable influence on a game before

Good atmosphere and good turnout from the Macclesfield fans too. Robbie Savage blending in as usual in a massive, luminous white jacket

Aye it was bad like. Felt like a day at the beach, came out absolutely covered in sand that was blown from the sand pit where they do the long/triple jump. Was in my hair, mouth, ears everywhere. Also before the match the away dugout (dugouts are on wheels) got caught by a huge hust of wind and blew across the funning track, just missing a female steward who was oblivious until it sped past her [emoji38]

Enjoyed the game, great atmosphere and over 3k in attendance. Think they announced 695 away fans. Fair play to Macclesfield they gave it a good do 2nd half with the wind behind them.

Took a chance at 2-0 and booked the train for Wembley.  Got it for a very reasonable £136 for the 3 of us. Apparently the price more than doubled at FT!

48 minutes ago, OpenC said:

If any of you non league attenders ever go to a ground which is particularly interesting, by the way, I would appreciate an @ heads up - I'm enjoying photographing non league but more from a ground ambience and crowds perspective than documenting the game. 

Not so much fenced in 3G pitches surrounded by houses, but anywhere which is a bit old or historical or is overlooked by something impressive or unusual (I'm checking to see if there's any pitches anywhere near the steelworks on Teesside, by way of example)

Cheers in advance if you know or discover anywhere :thup:

If you're happy to travel then the setting at Scarborough is pretty cool. 

64ca1b09d693f.png

Yeah, I should have said I routinely get up at half four to drive to Scotland so travelling is largely not an issue :thup:

Thanks man, looks class :)

39 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye it was bad like. Felt like a day at the beach, came out absolutely covered in sand that was blown from the sand pit where they do the long/triple jump. Was in my hair, mouth, ears everywhere. Also before the match the away dugout (dugouts are on wheels) got caught by a huge hust of wind and blew across the funning track, just missing a female steward who was oblivious until it sped past her [emoji38]

Enjoyed the game, great atmosphere and over 3k in attendance. Think they announced 695 away fans. Fair play to Macclesfield they gave it a good do 2nd half with the wind behind them.

Took a chance at 2-0 and booked the train for Wembley.  Got it for a very reasonable £136 for the 3 of us. Apparently the price more than doubled at FT!

If you could take a chance and do the same for May 4th too, that'd be nice. 

6 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Yeah, I should have said I routinely get up at half four to drive to Scotland so travelling is largely not an issue :thup:

Thanks man, looks class :)

For my sins I haven't actually been myself yet so I'm not sure how visible that landscape is from pitch-side. @ponsaelius will be able to advise. 

Worth a visit anyway I think. Routinely get 1500+ which is good going at the sixth tier. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If you could take a chance and do the same for May 4th too, that'd be nice. 

Off to Holland that weekend for PSV v Sparta Rotterdam!

Re Blyth - seems to be some wondering that the takeover that was said to have gone through in Feb, hasn't? 'New' owner has gone really quiet, as has the club itself. All may not be well.

21 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Aye, I was wondering about that myself. Seemed a bit unexpected at the time and now hasn't happened? It's not a great look

Apparently no changes have been made at companies house, which is really concerning. Makes you wonder if this new bloke is a front man for Platten. Either way, Blyth look doomed.

Spennymoor's match tonight was postponed and rescheduled for Thursday night, which isn't ideal for their big, potential 6 pointer with Alfreton at 3pm on Saturday.

Rushall won, but Farsley lost, so if Darlington can beat the latter at home on Saturday, they will be safe. That's probably Blyth's best hope for survival too, Farsley losing their last two matches and Blyth kind of staying up by default as I think they will struggle for another point themselves with them having to play 2nd and 3rd, and both have something still to play for.

Unless something drastically changes with the weather. I would be surprised if the game on Thursday goes ahead too. Unless it’s completely forced on to them by the league some how. No idea where they’d be able to fit it in otherwise 

Another cracking win for Hebburn last night – a 3-1 away win at Carlton so that’s now seven wins in a row and if they win their remaining five fixtures then automatic promotion is secured! Four of them are away and two are midweeks so hopefully get a full squad out for both! Liam Noble looks an absolutely hell of a player on loan from Morpeth!

Table;

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/tables?table_id=d-9900647

13 minutes ago, Paully said:

Liam Noble looks an absolutely hell of a player on loan from Morpeth!

He the lad who used to play for Sunlun? Vague memories of them hyping him to fuck on RTG.

Was supposed to be going to watch Gateshead yesterday. Postponed last minute, waterlogged pitch. Was going to watch Heaton Stan tonight. Postponed, waterlogged pitch.

This weather really is shite. Pitches used to always be a bit on the firm side going into mid April, not under water!

1 hour ago, Disco said:

He the lad who used to play for Sunlun? Vague memories of them hyping him to fuck on RTG.

Aye he was there - played a fair few matches for Notts County and Forest Green!

A few of my mates who play for Hebburn reckon he's a cracking lad too!

31 minutes ago, Paully said:

Aye he was there - played a fair few matches for Notts County and Forest Green!

A few of my mates who play for Hebburn reckon he's a cracking lad too!

I used to work with his mam, from what she always told us he's a proper hot head like :lol: plenty tales she told us about him falling out with various people, managers etc over the years.

He's a Toon fan and hates the mackems as they never gave him a proper chance when he was trying to break through, fyi.

Noble was quality even just a few years ago in the National League for Hartlepool. Surprised he's dropped down as far as 8th tier.

Edited by ponsaelius