Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

I know they don't have a great number but those fans who've paid money all season to get to this stage then have it taken away. Also there'll have been players who've turned down moves to other clubs to get promoted.

49 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Isn’t the problem that the council don’t have any money? 

Just been looking at their accounts (easily accessible online) for 2023 online and that doesn't appear to be the case.

Gateshead council: ‘Let’s build a brand new arena using public money just so we can take it out of Newcastle, even if it is by a matter of yards’.

Also Gateshead council: ‘Let’s sell the international stadium and pretty much make our football club homeless, and without the ability to enter the football league’.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Just been looking at their accounts (easily accessible online) for 2023 online and that doesn't appear to be the case.

They are selling off their leisure facilities though, even closed down their swimming pool.

29 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Ultimately blame the tories but here's a Lab council leader trying to big up handing leisure services over to charities etc

I suspect that's the crux of the matter. 

Screenshot_20240421_174153_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.7c33c5ee460c4ca6a12211123e8da36d.jpg

And it's not as if the facilities were free, they were/are charging similar to private gyms and pools.

Poor management and lack of ongoing maintenance haven't helped.

9 minutes ago, patrone said:

And it's not as if the facilities were free, they were/are charging similar to private gyms and pools.

Poor management and lack of ongoing maintenance haven't helped.

It's entirely down to the tories, money wise. Deliberately starving LAs budgets so they're forced to sell assets and outsource services. 

In this instance the council have decided, in what can only assume is future proofing any sale, to not have any baggage. 

Anyone on that committee should be voted out May 2nd

Any tory cunt voted out, regardless 

21 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

It's entirely down to the tories, money wise. Deliberately starving LAs budgets so they're forced to sell assets and outsource services. 

In this instance the council have decided, in what can only assume is future proofing any sale, to not have any baggage. 

Anyone on that committee should be voted out May 2nd

Any tory cunt voted out, regardless 

Aye, goes without saying regards the Tories 👍

Having done vote counts a few times, you get to see how arrogant Gannon, Mearns etc come across, they know they'll never be voted out.

Just now, patrone said:

Aye, goes without saying regards the Tories 👍

Having done vote counts a few times, you get to see how arrogant Gannon, Mearns etc come across, they know they'll never be voted out.

That Gannon is a right wanker. Always has been. 

People need to realise whether it's a Labour or a Tory councillor, they are all cut from the same cloth. They couldn't care less about me or you and in my experience they are there a bunch of self serving hypocrites.

I've been in dispute with my local council since November as they point blank refuse to cut the field behind my back fence which has resulted in loads of brambles, nettles and other assorted weeds growing through our fence and into our back garden. We can't even get our conifers cut because of them and they genuinely couldn't give a shit. Just get the same standard replies saying they'll pass the info on to their grounds team, all whilst I'm paying them £222 a month in Council Tax.

I actually managed to collar my local Labour candidate when she was doing a leaflet drop in the street last month. Told her I didn't want her leaflet and not to count on my vote this time. She smugly replied that it shouldn't matter as they always win in my area anyway. Sums them up.

Absolutely gutted for Gateshead FC as well.

"We continue to be supportive of Gateshead FC who we have a very good working relationship with.  We have offered a licencing arrangement in line with the requirements of its current league, which allows for further negotiations if the club achieves promotion.

However, we are currently working to appoint a partner operator for our leisure facilities - including Gateshead International Stadium. As we are not yet able to confirm how the stadium's operations will be managed in the longer term, it has been difficult to provide the 10-year security of tenure the league is seeking.

We have offered several times to work with all parties to find a solution and we recently provided a letter which would give the league the assurances they were seeking, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of the council. The assurances included a 10 year agreement between the council and Gateshead Football Club, that includes a break clause in the agreement to ensure that any new operator is able to negotiate new terms with the club. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be enough for the English Football League.

Whilst the announcement by the league is extremely regrettable and we understand the club's disappointment, our priority is to ensure that we can provide sustainable and accessible leisure services for all our communities. 

We remain committed to working with all interested parties to achieve a positive resolution and will continue to advocate for the success of Gateshead Football Club."

Edited by Jack27

Seems like an absolutely arbitrary (pointless) rule anyway. If anything furthering the chance of making it a closed shop in terms who can go up and putting more pressure on community owner and smaller clubs.

Highlighted even moreso with the fucking state of where Coventry have had to play games in the last few years and various other places which range from clubs going bust to places with condemned stands.

The whole thing seems fucking absurd. Pointless fucking paper pushing which should be, at best, a tertiary concern behind what is happening on the field and if a club is viable financially in the short, medium and long term. 

Yeah it's not like Gateshead wouldn't be potentially able to renew the lease with a new owner, or work towards an alternative ground going forward. If anything they'd have more chance of doing so as an EFL club than as a blacklisted non league club with a glass ceiling now. It'll kill the club.

Depressing and shit situation all-round. Financially cash strapped local council forced to sell off public assets which could effectively kill the local club that relies on it.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah it's not like Gateshead wouldn't be potentially able to renew the lease with a new owner, or work towards an alternative ground going forward. If anything they'd have more chance of doing so as an EFL club than as a blacklisted non league club with a glass ceiling now. It'll kill the club.

Depressing and shit situation all-round. Financially cash strapped local council forced to sell off public assets which could effectively kill the local club that relies on it.

Exactly, who is this rule benefiting?

Clubs who are penalised? No. Clubs who it doesn’t affect? No. Other clubs in the league where clubs are affected? No.  Unless I’m missing something incredibly obvious it just seems like having a rule for a rules sake almost as if they didn’t think it’d need enforcing. Not that all involved haven’t made a total pigs ear of it.