Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

First point for Alnwick back in the Northern League today, gave away all three at the death with a badly defended set piece, a bit of an Achilles Heel for them at the minute. One point from three games but I'm still hopeful they'll settle and be ok.

2-1 win for blue star at N Shields. 568 crowd with what seemed like an even split of both sets of fans. North Ferriby at home next round but currently scheduled to clash with toons 1st home game :(

On 03/08/2024 at 17:06, OpenC said:

First point for Alnwick back in the Northern League today, gave away all three at the death with a badly defended set piece, a bit of an Achilles Heel for them at the minute. One point from three games but I'm still hopeful they'll settle and be ok.

I watched the game on Saturday, playing surface was in great condition.

Alnwick will struggle but hopefully do enough to survive, SJP deserves NL football.

The equaliser was careless, they didn't manage the end of the game well. That said they won't be whipping boys like some poor teams at the foot of NL2 have been in recent seasons. They work hard and had decent spirit but lack the bit of quality up front which could turn draws into wins and defeats into draws.

58 minutes ago, Benwell Lad said:

I watched the game on Saturday, playing surface was in great condition.

Alnwick will struggle but hopefully do enough to survive, SJP deserves NL football.

The equaliser was careless, they didn't manage the end of the game well. That said they won't be whipping boys like some poor teams at the foot of NL2 have been in recent seasons. They work hard and had decent spirit but lack the bit of quality up front which could turn draws into wins and defeats into draws.

Yeah, it's a lovely pitch (had real problems at the end of last season when a field drain burst but the groundsman has got it bang on again) and the ground's got loads of character without it being actively falling apart :lol:  I feel like places like SJP are exactly the sort of grounds the NL needs, there are too many flatpack 3Gs these days.

There are two things that constantly baffle me about Alnwick; they just can't defend the back post on set pieces, and even when they're winning and should just be closing a game out they always still feel in a rush to get forward, which is exactly where the equaliser came from.  The forward options are limited as you say, Usman Ogidan who plays as 10 is an absolute battering ram and brilliant but not an out and out striker (he would have been immense in a 4-4-2 in the 90s) but the only other options up front are Max Anderson who's just come in and is playing OK but needs to settle, and a 16 year old who's being used as centre half and centre forward.  Manager was telling me they're hoping to get a few in this week so we'll see.

Edited by OpenC

At Truro City's first game in Cornwall for 4 years, and hour before kick off and there are a load of people here. Great scenes.

First win for Hebburn at that level.

Gateshead 5-1 win. Really hope the stadium situation is sorted as they'll be up there again. 

I see Ashington v Bishop Auckland (FA cup) is live on BBC red button/iPlayer/website next Sat at 12.30. Think i read both clubs get a grand each for the broadcast.

Edited by Scoreboard82

Spenny 3 - 0 Chester.  

Chester were tipped before season (will likely still be) favourites to win the league.  Spenny came out the traps very well. Massive pressing game from the start. Got an early goal and didn’t look back.  Very good performance by everyone on the pitch. 

Alnwick holding it together first half for once. Hopefully can have their usual majestic second half without the stress of being two down already

4 hours ago, Paully said:

Blyth Spartans 0-1 Hebburn 

cracking game - could have gone either way after Hebburn dominated first 20!

I know it's only 2 games but imagine 10 years ago being told Hebburn would be above Macclesfield. 

Screenshot_20240814-015128.png

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know it's only 2 games but imagine 10 years ago being told Hebburn would be above Macclesfield. 

Screenshot_20240814-015128.png

Ha ha aye mate - crackers! 

Great start for Hebburn - look very solid at the back! The GK, LB and CH played for our Sunday morning team (Hebburn Sports Club) but sadly can’t now due to being contracted! 

Heaton Stan finding it tough in this league. 2 loses now and apparently they were well beaten last night. On saying that they've played 2 of last seasons top 6 amd once they find their legs in this league I'm sure they'll be fine.

Walked past that the other day when I was at Jarrow, couldn't tell if it was the sort of place I was going to get mugged or if it was aalreet.  It looked derelict from a lot of angles :lol:  Ended up just getting a kebab from over the road