Newcastle United 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers - post-match from pg. 17

Disco

He's still not been at fault for any of our goals this season but what on earth was Sels doing with that cross in the 2nd half :lol:

I also thought he handled it outside the area in the 2nd half, which no one seemed to notice

He's still not been at fault for any of our goals this season but what on earth was Sels doing with that cross in the 2nd half :lol:

I also thought he handled it outside the area in the 2nd half, which no one seemed to notice

I've said it before; Sels is terrible at collecting a ball into his body and at some point he will cost us an important goal. The corner he gave away today was laughable. We should storm that league and I'm confident we will and that Rafa will cut down on the rotation so much in key areas. If I were to make a single decision I'd have Mitro picked ahead of Gayle. There's been too many games where Gayle has been nullified through lack of support/ the size of the opposition. Rafa should have changed it at HT today.

The crowd could see the problem today, it wasn't hard to work out. Unless we change to 442, which we won't, we can't have Perez and Gayle starting together. We carried absolutely no threat today.

He was at fault for their 2nd today. Pretty similar to the Huddersfield winner really. Showed the striker a huge area of the goal to calmly Stoke the ball past him from outside the box. I was sat right behind it and his positioning was awful. He had a terrible game today, he should have gathered one into his chest and ended up giving them a corner after that.

Their second goal is right in the corner, I don't think you can blame him for that. Clearly Ayoze shouldn't have given the ball away and one of the defenders should probably have tried to engage the goalscorer quicker but I don't think Sels is at fault.

Don't think he was at fault for Huddersfield's 2nd either

With Gayle up on his own it just goes wide then we have nobody to aim for in the middle. He also dosen't have the presence to hold it up and bring people into play or play one twos off. Was the same against Huddersfield and Fulham.

He is a Vardy type in that he needs balls over the top which we don't really have the space for at home or a playmaker with vision behind him to play him in which we don't have.

I can't see how it will work with him up front alone at home going forward, Mitrovic with Ritchie and Atsu wide and Perez just off Mitrovic as he always looks far better when Mitrovic plays.

Still, 4 points out of Villa and Norwich then we will  be looking good with the fixtures we have after that.

Surely Wolves pressing high suits us more? We're always better when teams give us space in behind. Just sounds like we were too sloppy to capitalise.

You can punish teams when they press high if you counter them with pace. We didn't have much in that side we put out today. Gayle was probably the only one who has a yard, but we never got the ball to him in space.

Their second goal is right in the corner, I don't think you can blame him for that. Clearly Ayoze shouldn't have given the ball away and one of the defenders should probably have tried to engage the goalscorer quicker but I don't think Sels is at fault.

Wasn't right in the corner. I was sat right behind it.

Not trying to criticise Rafa too much but i don't get a winger sitting on the bench when a forward is playing on the wing. If you want to make a change in the number 10 position for Diame to play, you don't shift your other number 10 to the wing to fit him in as well.

You rotate and play a proper winger, love Rafa but that's a frustrating team selection which loses Perez's effectiveness and then the team suffers.

Looks pretty close to me like

http://i.imgur.com/I2mWezi.jpg

Not trying to criticise Rafa too much but i don't get a winger sitting on the bench when a forward is playing on the wing. If you want to make a change in the number 10 position for Diame to play, you don't shift your other number 10 to the wing to fit him in as well.

You rotate and play a proper winger, love Rafa but that's a frustrating team selection which loses Perez's effectiveness and then the team suffers.

The one thing we know about Rafa is that he'll learn from it and he'll change it, you just know Pardew would try the same thing again... and again..... and again when it's clearly not working. I hope we smash them midweek and put this to bed as quick as possible.

That shows it wasn't right in the corner when it went beyond Sells and over the line, if it was it , from the angle of the shot, it would have gone into the netting on the side not the back.

Watch it on the telly if you weren't there. Showed him a massive area of the goal, as he did against Huddersfield and the opponent just stroked it past him. Very similar goals.

Watched him carefully today as he was under slightly more pressure than usual. His positional play is all over the place and he really doesn't instill confidence in his back 4. Darlow looks far better.

That shows it wasn't right in the corner when it went beyond Sells and over the line, if it was it , from the angle of the shot, it would have gone into the netting on the side not the back.

He side foots it so it could have curled from outside the post to back into the post. 

I watched most of the game on someone's periscope stream and the game was played in one half of the field but the team defending that half were the ones that came away 2 nil winners. I didn't like the line up when I saw it, I thought at home this was a good opportunity to utilise the two attacking fullbacks we just bought. I also thought we needed to give Shelvey a little rest (although I struggle to think who we could replace him with, that's my biggest issue with our mostly strong squad) and when I saw Perez on the left, I thought oh no, not again !!

I'm worried about Mbemba, he seems prone to a few nervy moments every game at the moment. That goal was terrible, totally unnecessary and put us behind the 8 ball for the rest of the match. Gayle is also a strange one, in some games he looks awesome, others like today completely ineffective. I would have expected a little more from Ritchie too today, and he was lucky not to get sent off. If Mitro scores the one on one we would have been back in the game, he really needs to bury those types of chances. All over the pitch there were bad performances today.

This is a hugely concerning result, it may be a blessing in disguise as it could allow Rafa to self reflect a bit, squad rotation is all well and good, but don't put square pegs in round holes. This line up doesn't work for us at home, hopefully we don't see that again.

The one thing we know about Rafa is that he'll learn from it and he'll change it, you just know Pardew would try the same thing again... and again..... and again when it's clearly not working. I hope we smash them midweek and put this to bed as quick as possible.

Oh aye i know Rafa will see it, what i don't really get is doing it in the first place.

Also we beat Q.P.R with one up top, that works if it's Mitro for me, not so much with Gayle. If Gayle plays he should play with Mitro or Murphy imo. And we go 4-4-2, but Rafa rarely does it, it will be mainly 4-2-3-1/4-1-4-1 variations. When Gayle is the lone front man in those formations it makes us a less effective team imo.

Those commas are horrendous so I've no idea what you're saying but he side foots it so it could have curled from outside the post to back into the post. 

You must be blind or partially sighted.

He side foots it so it could have curled from outside the post to back into the post. 

A decent goalkeeper would have saved it comfortably.

squad rotation is all well and good, but don't put square pegs in round holes. This line up doesn't work for us at home, hopefully we don't see that again.

:thup:

I second that and wish i noticed afar's post earlier, exactly what i was trying to say.  O0

It could have. But it didn't.

I watched most of the game on someone's periscope stream and the game was played in one half of the field but the team defending that half were the ones that came away 2 nil winners. I didn't like the line up when I saw it, I thought at home this was a good opportunity to utilise the two attacking fullbacks we just bought. I also thought we needed to give Shelvey a little rest (although I struggle to think who we could replace him with, that's my biggest issue with our mostly strong squad) and when I saw Perez on the left, I thought oh no, not again !!

I'm worried about Mbemba, he seems prone to a few nervy moments every game at the moment. That goal was terrible, totally unnecessary and put us behind the 8 ball for the rest of the match. Gayle is also a strange one, in some games he looks awesome, others like today completely ineffective. I would have expected a little more from Ritchie too today, and he was lucky not to get sent off. If Mitro scores the one on one we would have been back in the game, he really needs to bury those types of chances. All over the pitch there were bad performances today.

This is a hugely concerning result, it may be a blessing in disguise as it could allow Rafa to self reflect a bit, squad rotation is all well and good, but don't put square pegs in round holes. This line up doesn't work for us at home, hopefully we don't see that again.

The thing is, with all this talk of squad rotation, there are a few players who are still starting every game, like Dummett and Anita. Ritchie too which is a bit more understandable but still, you either rotate or you don't if the idea is to keep the squad fresh.