Cup win or promotion?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan and Bobby had better players than we are likely to have for at least over the next 5 years with Benitez, they were great managers, and we didnt win a cup.

It's not as simple as get promoted, Rafa does his thing for a few years and we naturally win something.

Guest firetotheworks

Keegan and Bobby had better players than we are likely to have for at least over the next 5 years with Benitez, they were great managers, and we didnt win a cup.

It's not as simple as get promoted, Rafa does his thing for a few years and we naturally win something.

:lol:

That's true but it's not as simple as Keegan and Bobby didn't do it, so Rafa can't do it, either. You just have to remind yourself that Wigan and Portsmouth won the FA Cup within the last 8 years.

And they were outliers, came about through a mix of form, circumstances and luck. Wasn't some master team building and strategy.

Of course it can happen, that's not at all what I said, just emphasising how hard it is to win a cup even with a great manager and a good team.

I don't understand the idea of preferring going up and having a chance at winning a cup, over actually winning a cup.

Guest firetotheworks

And they were outliers, came about through a mix of form, circumstances and luck. Wasn't some master team building and strategy.

Of course it can happen, that's not at all what I said, just emphasising how hard it is to win a cup even with a great manager and a good team.

I don't understand the idea of preferring going up and having a chance at winning a cup, over actually winning a cup.

It's just a hypothetical question in a hypothetical world. We could win a cup and end up being a non-league team forever or we could win promotion and go on to win the FA Cup as far as the hypothetical is concerned.

People actually saying promotion?!?!?

Crazy, we've seen our team get promotion,  we've seen our team in a relegation battle in , we've seen us finish midtable and we've even seen us challenge for the title. We've done it, we've seen it all before

But we haven't seen us win a trophy, that's what we all crave for, success.

1955 since this club won a trophy, that needs to change

I find it staggering that people would take promotion over a cup.

This club has won ONE trophy in my lifetime.

I'm old.

Fairs cup? or you are an old bugger ;)

It's the new generation unfortunately,  there brought up that the premier league is the be all and end all but in reality it's not. The football league has 92 teams in it not 20

Of course staying in the top division is the aim(whatever they call it) but it's not success, not really silverware is

I'd do anything to see us win a cup, who remembers that team that finishes 17th and just stays up?

Nothings guaranteed but I do feel that if we don't get promoted this year, we will eventually, it will just take longer

I don't think any of us think the PL is the be all and end all, I really like the championship and I like winning almost every week much more than the PL and survival.

However I know that if we don't get in PL at the first time of asking it becomes a lot more difficult the second year and even more so the third. Cup or not, I can't see Benitez sticking around if we fail for promotion. Financially his hands will be tied, we may even have to sell to bring the wage bill down. Unfortunately, financially, to the people that matter, the PL IS the be all and end all.

On paper, cup every day of the week, I'd love to see us win something, but realistically, for progression, to keep Rafa, we need promotion more than we need a cup.

People actually saying promotion?!?!?

Crazy, we've seen our team get promotion,  we've seen our team in a relegation battle in , we've seen us finish midtable and we've even seen us challenge for the title. We've done it, we've seen it all before

But we haven't seen us win a trophy, that's what we all crave for, success.

1955 since this club won a trophy, that needs to change

I find it staggering that people would take promotion over a cup.

This club has won ONE trophy in my lifetime.

I'm old.

Fairs cup? or you are an old bugger ;)

It's the new generation unfortunately,  there brought up that the premier league is the be all and end all but in reality it's not. The football league has 92 teams in it not 20

Of course staying in the top division is the aim(whatever they call it) but it's not success, not really silverware is

I'd do anything to see us win a cup, who remembers that team that finishes 17th and just stays up?

Nothings guaranteed but I do feel that if we don't get promoted this year, we will eventually, it will just take longer

I don't think any of us think the PL is the be all and end all, I really like the championship and I like winning almost every week much more than the PL and survival.

However I know that if we don't get in PL at the first time of asking it becomes a lot more difficult the second year and even more so the third. Cup or not, I can't see Benitez sticking around if we fail for promotion. Financially his hands will be tied, we may even have to sell to bring the wage bill down. Unfortunately, financially, to the people that matter, the PL IS the be all and end all.

On paper, cup every day of the week, I'd love to see us win something, but realistically, for progression, to keep Rafa, we need promotion more than we need a cup.

What's the goal of keeping Rafa though? To win a cup eventually?

I'd take an FA cup this year and promotion next, or even the year after, or the year after that, than promotion and focusing on establishing ourselves as an average premier league team any day.

In that instance Rafa will probably leave though and we'll be right back into the shitter and will probably be stuck in this league for a very very long time.

I'm of the believe that if we get promoted Rafa will eventually deliver a cup anyway.

Tough one.  But I think I'd go for the cup.  Haven't won fuck all of note during my years supporting the club.  So to get a day out at Wembley, see them lift a trophy and finally get the first major cup since 1969, would be incredible.

But I think not getting promoted would mean Rafa would leave and so would a lot of the players.  I also think Ashley would go back into panic mode and just tighten the purse strings further.  There would be a real possibility of us staying down for a while, if we don't bounce back this season. 

Given we're currently occupying fantasy-as-if-it-fucking-matters-what-you'd-prefer-land I would (just about) trade in being Champions to win the League Cup (for the first time). I would settle for the risk of the play-offs to win the FA Cup. But despite how enjoyable the Championship might be, I'd rather we were a small fish (with growth potential) in the big pond, so the answer has to be both.

It's surprising how polarised this is. For me its promotion all the way, and I would go as far as saying even next season, establishing ourselves back in mid table is more important than a cup win. If we can go up, strengthen then push on with Rafa it opens up the possibility of a whole lot more than a one off cup. Failing to go up would be a disaster this year and there is no way we would keep the likes of Ritchie let alone strengthen. If Rafa is able to implicate his plan over 2 or 3 years we will be back in Europe and challenging for cups on a regular basis.

People on about Benitez leaving if we won something but didn't go up. If we went up and kept Benitez wouldn't winning something be the main aim anyway?

We aren't realistically going to win the league. We have had countless games in Europe. Most of our fans have never seen us win something. Got to be a cup.

I would snatch your hand off for the league cup then 3 years down here.

Imagine Newcastle winning something at Wembley

Find it absolutely mental that a supporter of a club without silverware for so long would choose a promotion over an actual cup. Does not compute with moi.

:thup: Football should be about winning trophies (not the Championship). Being able to get thumped of Sky's big boys wouldn't bring as much joy as a cup win.