NUFC History - Matchday Experiences/Memories - Those Were The Days Thread

NG32

It recently came to light that for almost all games since the 2001/02 season I can recall where I was and how I followed the game. So today in 2001 we beat Bolton 4-0, where Jaaskelainen got sent off and Bo Hansen went in goal. I listened to the game on Metro radio as was usually the case back then, and in the phone in after the show somebody rang up taking the piss and said Carl Cort was lovely, so Justin Lockwood cut them off.

More pointless stories tomorrow.

In the promotion season with Keegan in 1992, CP40 took me and a mate down to the Peterborough away game in his Golf GTi..The weather was absolutely minging up here so I was wearing a bigger coat.  Once we arrived into the midlands the weather was completely different, it was absolutely burning hot.  We got to the ground and it was absolutely packed with NUFC fans, couldn't get moved.  We eventually managed to work our way  through to the turn style and ended up under the shed end, the heat was unreal.  I started to have spasms and seizing up with in 10 minutes, I remember my hands and fingers locking up.  I ended up lying on the terraces in the piss, felt like I was dying.  All CP40 said was "I'm never taking you to an away game again".  cheers

We moved out from under the shed roof and I managed to somehow come back to life.

I think NUFC won the game 0-1.

Wasn't slap your lass with a Christmas tree mentioned on here recently?  I still have no idea what it means, if anything.

whip patsy Kensit

Whip patsy kensit

Whip patsy kensit

Till she bleeds, yee hah!

Oh when the beans come out the tin.

He'd also do the double decker theme, I remember helping him with the bell and horn sounds at Peterborogh.

In the promotion season with Keegan in 1992, CP40 took me and a mate down to the Peterborough away game in his Golf GTi..The weather was absolutely minging up here so I was wearing a bigger coat.  Once we arrived into the midlands the weather was completely different, it was absolutely burning hot.  We got to the ground and it was absolutely packed with NUFC fans, couldn't get moved.  We eventually managed to work our way  through to the turn style and ended up under the shed end, the heat was unreal.  I started to have spasms and seizing up with in 10 minutes, I remember my hands and fingers locking up.  I ended up lying on the terraces in the piss, felt like I was dying.  All CP40 said was "I'm never taking you to an away game again".  cheers

We moved out from under the shed roof and I managed to somehow come back to life.

I think NUFC won the game 0-1.

we did, I watched the second half from a floodlight while you were recovering.

Cant remember if it was a Rob Lee goal, David Kelly or Gavin Peacock.

Sheedy I think!

Correct.

Great game that, I was stood right next to the floodlight.

Did you see a kid laying about like a little freak in an Adidas coat?  :lol:

My first match was the 3-0 v Peterborough in the 92/93 promotion season. Not sure how we got the tickets but my main memory is being in Platinum Club and hoying Black Forest Gateau down me neck like it was going out of fashion and feeling sick as fuck. Me and Grandad stayed in the seats at HT rather than going in, poor bloke must've devva'd not to get his HT pint. First and last time I've been in the posh seats and it was only the last home match that was the second time I've sat in the Milburn.

Sat on the Leazes barriers with my parents for the rest of the season before getting ST in old East Stand paddock. Having to get in to the ground as soon as it opened n all. Couldn't fathom doing that now.

Not so much history but I love those moments away from home where all you can hear is a chorus of jubilant Newcastle fans having a whale of a time...especially when winning and all you can do is take a deep breath, lean back and smile with overwhelming pride.

Man U away when Cabaye won it for us being one time. Literally could have stayed there all night singing.

My first match was the 3-0 v Peterborough in the 92/93 promotion season. Not sure how we got the tickets but my main memory is being in Platinum Club and hoying Black Forest Gateau down me neck like it was going out of fashion and feeling sick as f***. Me and Grandad stayed in the seats at HT rather than going in, poor bloke must've devva'd not to get his HT pint. First and last time I've been in the posh seats and it was only the last home match that was the second time I've sat in the Milburn.

Sat on the Leazes barriers with my parents for the rest of the season before getting ST in old East Stand paddock. Having to get in to the ground as soon as it opened n all. Couldn't fathom doing that now.

Remember that game, was windy as fuck, Rob Lee scored a couple, one a long range belter at the Gallowgate end.

My first match was the 3-0 v Peterborough in the 92/93 promotion season. Not sure how we got the tickets but my main memory is being in Platinum Club and hoying Black Forest Gateau down me neck like it was going out of fashion and feeling sick as f***. Me and Grandad stayed in the seats at HT rather than going in, poor bloke must've devva'd not to get his HT pint. First and last time I've been in the posh seats and it was only the last home match that was the second time I've sat in the Milburn.

Remember that game, was windy as fuck, Rob Lee scored a couple, one a long range belter at the Gallowgate end.

Aye, remember it saying on the season video it was nearly called off because it was so windy. How different life might have been.

I used to love man united away. Knowing we'd get bummed but not caring at all. "legs off" if anyone remembers that guy? First year in ages I missed we got a draw, that was about nine years ago and I haven't been since.

I used to love man united away. Knowing we'd get bummed but not caring at all. "legs off" if anyone remembers that guy? First year in ages I missed we got a draw, that was about nine years ago and I haven't been since.

Only got to OT twice but both were memorable for different reasons. Went there early in the 84/85 season soon after promotion. We got absolutely pasted 5 nowt and played s**** generally (apart from moments from Waddle and Beardsley) but it was memorable for the sheer amount of Toon fans at the game. It's easy to exaggerate a large away following but there had to be at least 12000 Newcastle fans there and if you watch the highlights that are out there, you can see we had that entire end behind the goal and a bit up the side as well. I could swear we had more fans there that day than even Liverpool and Everton did in that era.

Also went in the 87/88 season for the 2-2 with Mirandinha scoring 2 and although he was uncoordinated and greedy and generally lacking in any type of awareness whatsoever, he was a treat to watch that day. He scored from a deflected free kick that seemed at the time to take about 4 seconds to trundle into the net and a mad back-post header from a flicked-on corner. Can remember getting pelted with coins after both goals by the c***s next to us. Everything happened in the first half, loads of action and then the second half, from memory, nowt seemed to happen at all. Tons of memories from the 84-98 era, hard to only pick out a few.

Only got to OT twice but both were memorable for different reasons. Went there early in the 84/85 season soon after promotion. We got absolutely pasted 5 nowt and played s**** generally (apart from moments from Waddle and Beardsley) but it was memorable for the sheer amount of Toon fans at the game. It's easy to exaggerate a large away following but there had to be at least 12000 Newcastle fans there and if you watch the highlights that are out there, you can see we had that entire end behind the goal and a bit up the side as well. I could swear we had more fans there that day than even Liverpool and Everton did in that era.

Also went in the 87/88 season for the 2-2 with Mirandinha scoring 2 and although he was uncoordinated and greedy and generally lacking in any type of awareness whatsoever, he was a treat to watch that day. He scored from a deflected free kick that seemed at the time to take about 4 seconds to trundle into the net and a mad back-post header from a flicked-on corner. Can remember getting pelted with coins after both goals by the c***s next to us. Everything happened in the first half, loads of action and then the second half, from memory, nowt seemed to happen at all. Tons of memories from the 84-98 era, hard to only pick out a few.

yep was at that one, in the paddocks, almost to the half way line down the side. remember speaking to some man utd fans years later who said they were in the stretford end that day, and were shitting themselves when they saw how many of us there was- but fuck me OT made some noise  then when they scored.  was it 52k crowd?