Bystanders

Great thread. Something has definitely gone for me, I love Rafa and everything he's doing, but I still feel a bit uneasy about our long term future. We still have Ashley, and I really can't see Benitez staying more than 3/4 years for one reason or another. I think he'll want one last crack at a massive job if the opportunity came up. I don't trust Ashley to commit the same resources to attract as good as a manager to replace him.

Sounds really negative, I shouldn't be, but while we're still associated with Ashley, and all his previous mistakes, SD scandals etc, I still feel like the core of the club is slightly rotten.

To echo the sentiments of many this is a quality, interesting read.

:thup:

I understand the disillusioned members on here and for what it's worth I too have been under Ashley until Rafa came to us. I've been actively involved since around the age of 16 with virtually all new fan initiatives / groups and despite my disillusion I feel it's given me a good scope of our fan base, as well as this forum has. My main interest has always been the preservation of Newcastle United as it is to anything I love. So there have been times I will battle against the club and show it tough love but I will equally back them when the time is right. Fickle as it may be...

Our fan base concerns me if I am honest but then I believe ours is no different to any other British clubs'. It's what i like to call the Sky generation that come through. More interested in thr entertainment aspect than the sporting achievement or pride in your home town. That's not to say they aren't proud or whatever mind.

Without rambling too much I 100% agree that modern football is pretty wank. English football needs to be modelled on Germany's and fast.

Interesting that this subject has come up. After our Cardiff victory I debated with a friend of mine that English football will implode when fans collectively become too disillusioned to subscribe to sky sports and stop going to games because they're sick of overpaid players who have no link to the people they're paid to represent and because the sport is just another corrupt, capatilist business. He argued totally for Sky and even suggested it took more ownership. Maybe that's a difference from being a ST holder who goes away occasionally to being someone who opts to watch from home. Gladly this thread seems to suggest it's not simply just that.

I have so much to say on this subject but for me the below is as best as I can summarise before I fall asleep with a Samsung attached to my cheek...

For me, a best mate of mine summed it up for me around 10/12 years ago now when we were out having a curry with our Dad's (long time friends and ST holders) and all the other lads after a home game.

As always (at a post match curry) we had a discussion that was thought provoking and  insightful despite being maybe a little bit drunken.

The question was something like what does NUFC or the match mean to you? (Not too different to the question being asked here.)

His reply was perfect and will forever stay with me:

"The players don't matter a toss, nor do they manager or the directors but what matters is that every Saturday (or whatever day the match is now on) those 11 men in Black and White stripes don't just represent my team, my club or my city. They represent me for 90 minutes. So all I expect is pride, honesty, hard work and respect what they represent.

We now have that under Rafa. So for me...as long as the fat fuck in charge stays out the picture we can once again be proud and enjoy.

"We don't demand a club that wins we demand a team that tries"

In the Summer, Rafa agreed to take on the job full time and there was a buzz, an excitement among my match going friends who couldn't wait for the season to start. I agreed to attend Fulham away, Rafas first game since taking on the full time role. I'd attended 3 games in over 3 years since the beginning of my sabbatical and we'd lost all the games 1-0. I've since been to Wolves at home in the cup and Norwich at home in the league. The Norwich game will stay in my memory for a long, long time. I definitely had the buzz back. I talked about the game in the pub, at work and to taxi drivers for a couple of weeks after. It was glorious.

Snap I had the same feeling about that Norwich game, It was the biggest buzz I'd had at SJP in a long time. I doubt it will be topped this season apart from when we (hopefully) seal promotion.

But yeah I'm looking forward to the games again, can't wait for saturday, some pre match beers in a good mood! And hopefully another win!

I'm feeling a lot of similarities with all this. I've gone from watching every game I could watch regardless wether it involved us or not to only watching our games or games I have money on. I've been sick of the business and the celeb culture of the game for years but now it's hitting earlier, I used to be sick at Easter now it's just after new year. The last 3 or so years it's really been to keep in touch with a group of mates and my daughter wanted to go (she hasn't been to the last 3 and I doubt she'll see another 5 this season). It's why I've been wanting a more entertaining style of football hoping that it reignites something but I'm not sure it would. Ithink I may be done at the end of the season.

This is exactly me. I quite often sit and watch a full game from the Swiss Super League yet I've only seen one Premier League game this season (that I had fifty quid on) and haven't seen MOTD once. If I didn't gamble, it would probably be years since I'd watched a full football match that didn't involve Newcastle. Quite sad really, I used to be absolutely obsessed with the game.

:thup: Exactly the same with me.

NUFC is in my blood and no matter how hard i tried not to care when Ashley, Pardew, Kinnear etc were conspiring to make us a total laughing stock I couldn't help but check on results and rant about the state of things with family and mates. I'd tell people i wasn't interested any more but I think i was trying to convince myself more than anything.  Having said that, even with things looking up and a manager/team that i actually like for the most part, I still don't feel like I used to. It's probably a combination of age, lack of trust in Ashley to keep his shit together but more than that, it's general feeling of apathy/distain towards the Premier League.

It's nice to have some optimism and pride in the team again but knowing that the reward for our success will be a return to such a sterile, money-obsessed, corporate setup keeps me from being too excited.

NUFC under Keegan the first time around up until the Bobby era was fantastic not just because we were good but because the Premier League and football in general was good. You could still sign unknown players, which was exciting because there was always that chance they'd turn out to be a worldy. Players/managers would give frothing, emotional interviews instead of generic, media-trained soundbites. Pitches in the winter were muddy and players would come off at full-time looking more like Rugby players. Tackling was still allowed and this 'going over because i was touched' bullshit didn't exist.

Ashley and Pardew have done a lot to suck the enjoyment out of being a Newcastle United fan but their era has also coincided with the height of the destruction of the game by Sky and the Premier League. I think that's why so many fans (of other clubs as well) find it easier to disassociate themselves from clubs they once obsessed about and why attendances at lower league matches are higher than ever.

NUFC is in my blood and no matter how hard i tried not to care when Ashley, Pardew, Kinnear etc were conspiring to make us a total laughing stock I couldn't help but check on results and rant about the state of things with family and mates. I'd tell people i wasn't interested any more but I think i was trying to convince myself more than anything.  Having said that, even with things looking up and a manager/team that i actually like for the most part, I still don't feel like I used to. It's probably a combination of age, lack of trust in Ashley to keep his shit together but more than that, it's general feeling of apathy/distain towards the Premier League.

It's nice to have some optimism and pride in the team again but knowing that the reward for our success will be a return to such a sterile, money-obsessed, corporate setup keeps me from being too excited.

NUFC under Keegan the first time around up until the Bobby era was fantastic not just because we were good but because the Premier League and football in general was good. You could still sign unknown players, which was exciting because there was always that chance they'd turn out to be a worldy. Players/managers would give frothing, emotional interviews instead of generic, media-trained soundbites. Pitches in the winter were muddy and players would come off at full-time looking more like Rugby players. Tackling was still allowed and this 'going over because i was touched' bullshit didn't exist.

Ashley and Pardew have done a lot to suck the enjoyment out of being a Newcastle United fan but their era has also coincided with the height of the destruction of the game by Sky and the Premier League. I think that's why so many fans (of other clubs as well) find it easier to disassociate themselves from clubs they once obsessed about and why attendances at lower league matches are higher than ever.

:thup:

It's an age thing for me.

Gave my ST up when I was 18 and started uni. Money I'd get for birthdays and Christmas always went into the pot to pay for the ST, cup games and away games. I started uni and my money started going towards funding holidays and travelling instead.

I still enjoy an away day whenever I can and I'll still do the odd home game with me dad for old time's sake but there's plenty of times I wish I hadn't bothered. I used to get proper fired up for derby games but now I'm just filled with dread.

It really isn't what I remember growing up with. Since I gave up my ST at the end of the 06/07 season I think the only time I really remember the ground properly rocking was the 5-1 v the mackems. The last promotion season had its moments (Forest, Sheff Utd and Ipswich all at home) but it's been nowt compared to the SBR years - and even they seemed flat at times compared to when Keegan was here the first time.

The interest wanes after a certain age and tbh I think that's only natural. People start families, have work commitments and you can't fit everything around football once you have other responsibilities. It's easy to blame Ashley for it, but there's probably a few on here who can remember what it was like before Keegan lit the spark, and it wasn't pretty. I'm still not convinced that we'll be able to match Rafa's ambition when we get promoted even now so I can understand the view that it might be a false dawn. The club's being run right at the moment though, so might as well enjoy it while it lasts. While Rafas's in charge you know we are in good hands.

Hello Plebs,

Long time lurker here. Why am I writing? Firstly to wish you luck and congratulate you on the time you're having at the moment. I was never Rafa's biggest fan in the past, but there's no question something special is going on here at the moment. I can feel my old optimism bubbling, but it's uncomfortable somehow.

Here's why. I couldn't say I'm part of this club anymore. As I said to someone the other day, I hated Pardew before it was cool - the way he was appointed sickened me - and broadly speaking that's when I accepted I had to treat NUFC under Ashley, and football more generally, as it wanted to be treated - as an entertainment purchase. So I chose to stop being a customer, it was the only way the free market would learn. I didn't want to play a part in myself and others getting mugged off when - after we'd gone through the inevitable Pardew destruction - dreams were brought back to life in Division 2 and new heroes were found, as they are being now, before everything was once again shattered with the usual propaganda, accounting tricks and 'greedy c***' drivel. It was meant to be a hibernation until Ashley left, but it turned out football wasn't that interesting without the emotional investment, and the upshot of it was that although I've kept an eye on things, I've pretty much lost touch and my opinions are based on mainstream opinions nowadays - probably wrong therefore.

So, this post was largely prompted by the Rafa thread, but didn't seem quite right for it. It's not intended as a merchant of doom thing, warning you off enjoying this promotion season, because really half the point is that it's not my business now. I'm genuinely glad about this little miracle, it's the kind of thing you live for as a supporter, and I would've liked to be in it too, I'm just not going to be.

It was weird losing a part of my life I'd had since I was 5 or so, the game is a culture, so you pretty much lose a way of talking to some people. Now, I wonder how many people are in a similar position to me, I'm sure there'll be a handful at least - people who didn't so much just stop going to matches but basically pulled out, people who feel the deal between football and supporters is broken, even if there are still good guys and moments in the game. Know anyone in a similar predicament?

You're not Andrew Mitchell are you? if you are, then fuck off and die, assuming (safely) you are not: what a great post/thread.

You're are articulating my sentiments and those of many (former? latent?) Newcastle fans. Thing is, for me, not really sure why--though I think joining here is to blame/thank, I found myself falling back in love with the club last season. Shocking timing, i know but somewhat fitting for someone of my generation that the first season back should be such a rollercoaster of shitstorm and slightly less smelly weather; being a bit crap/prone to relegation still feels a lot more 'congruent' for want for a better word, than the brief periods in the very top drawer we've experienced.

What I am trying to say, in my usual word-wanker way, is you can still fall back in love with your team, mate. Best keep your lurking to a minimum if you want to prevent this. But maybe, and I hope it is the case, that the seemingly irrelevant 'lurking' is telling you something. Sod the 'man' you can still support the lads. If you want to... . Gan canny (...unless you're a cycling Tory tosspot ;) ).

It really isn't what I remember growing up with. Since I gave up my ST at the end of the 06/07 season I think the only time I really remember the ground properly rocking was the 5-1 v the mackems. The last promotion season had its moments (Forest, Sheff Utd and Ipswich all at home) but it's been nowt compared to the SBR years - and even they seemed flat at times compared to when Keegan was here the first time.

[/quote+]

When things are not quite right in a game a home crowd can play their part and help win the game. I've heard Rafa allude to this in a couple of interviews before, saying that if the staff , players and fans are all doing the right thing and pulling together then Newcastle can be a special place . He knows what a fortress we could have here , but he's not getting it . With reference to the quote above , there's a camera shot of Steve Bruce's face as he's walking out of the tunnel before the 5 - 1 derby and you can see the fear , you just know they've lost that game before a ball is kicked . But why , oh why is St. James's so utterly and completely dead time after time. Today was so reminiscent of the Wolves atmosphere, same outcome. 52000 may as well be 5000 if we can't get behind the team .

• 7 months later...

Just shy of a year, following promotion and a ludicrous summer transfer window - anyone feeling any different?

The season ahead feels a bit like Mayweather vs McGregor. Big money, a bit of a circus, lots of hype and the continued bastardisation of a great sport. Doesn't feel right. Fully expect the newly star-studded English clubs to get the pants beat off them in Europe again :lol:

Obviously it feels much better with Rafa, it felt incredible before the transfer window started. It could still work out if a couple more signings come in, but I was definitely hoping for a lot more than we've done so far. A club who gets promoted and signs one quite good championship player is not bothered about where it finishes. 

Guest palnese

Thought last season was absolutely shite and I'm really struggling to get excited for the new season. Don't think that will change anytime soon.

At the moment feels like this season is going to be one of treading water, not much excitement at all. That could all change of course if we get the big signings we have been led to believe are incoming. Otherwise it will be a bonus if Rafa stays and I suppose it will be a case of aiming for comfortable survival and waiting until next season to kick on.

Thought last season was absolutely shite and I'm really struggling to get excited for the new season. Don't think that will change anytime soon.

Don't understand how that's possible TBH. You should genuinely give up now if last season was shite, we won the league with Rafa Benitez as manager.

At the moment feels like this season is going to be one of treading water, not much excitement at all. That could all change of course if we get the big signings we have been led to believe are incoming. Otherwise it will be a bonus if Rafa stays and I suppose it will be a case of aiming for comfortable survival and waiting until next season to kick on.

I think that's the aim regardless of signings TBH. Of course we would publically say we'd aim for higher, but we'd be happy to stay up as a club.

Guest palnese

Don't understand how that's possible TBH. You should genuinely give up now if last season was shite, we won the league with Rafa Benitez as manager.

I know.

We played shite football and somehow managed to lose ten games with the best squad and manager in the league. There were some good moments ofc, but overall I hated it.

I think that's the aim regardless of signings TBH. Of course we would publically say we'd aim for higher, but we'd be happy to stay up as a club.

Do you think that would have been Rafa's aim going into this season? I think he's realistic but he would have wanted a team that could aim for top half and compete with the big six over 90mins on any given day IMO.

Do you think that would have been Rafa's aim going into this season? I think he's realistic but he would have wanted a team that could aim for top half and compete with the big six over 90mins on any given day IMO.

Not his aim, but I think he would take survival as long as it's a decent performance. Of course ideally he wants more.

Either way he will go if he decides it's not worth trying any more, so we'll know eventually.

Not his aim, but I think he would take survival as long as it's a decent performance. Of course ideally he wants more.

Either way he will go if he decides it's not worth trying any more, so we'll know eventually.

I think I read somewhere that he didn't want a team that would go to places like Anfield and be an embarrassment given his standing in the game. Not sure if that's true or not but I can imagine it is. We'll need a couple of big impact signings as things stand to make us competitive if you ask me.