Sunday league stories

Darth Crooks

Anyone got any funny stories about stuff in games around Sunday/amateur League? I'm collecting them. My dad had one about a game stopping and a player seen shortly after run off, full kit - boots and all vaulting over a fence because he'd escaped prison and the police has turned up.

Know of one lad who took exception to being sent off (by a ref well-known locally for being particularly officious), so upon leaving the field sought out the referees changing room, opened his bag containing his clothes, and took a dump in it.

Said lad isn't allowed to play anymore...

Played in a match a few years back on Clapham Common. One of the opposition got slightly exasperated with some of the referees decisions, his own performance and a few rough tackles, leaving him to eventually bellow at nobody in particularly "I earn more money than all of you!" at the top of his voice.

Needless to say after that point, even his own teammates were calling him a w****r.

A mate of mine's mom came to watch a cup final my team was involved in. We lost 2-1 to a dodgy as f*** last minute penalty. My mate chased after the ref at FT and had to be stopped from decking him. The mom took exception to her son's behavior and humiliated him in front of the entire team for using "bad language to the referee". My friend was 25 at the time :lol:

Went to see a friend play in a semi-final over in Wallsend. He had been a great player as a kid, and was a bit of a Mark Hughes character. Big strong lad but quiet and gentle off the pitch; bit of a beast on it.  He broke a bloke's leg, not a foul (ish) but went through ball and player. Just as the ambulance was arriving he launched into a 40-60 challenge and scythed down a stocky bonehead (who, to be fair, had been persistently fouling him/diving in since first injury) said bonehead sustained a horrible-looking floppy snapped tib and fib. Straight red, minor fisticuffs all round, and a two for the price of one ambulance call out !

I once got booked for kicking one of my team mates (who absolutely deserved it), another team mate made a tackle from the 1st kick from kick off and got sent off - quickest sending off I've ever seen, I'm not sure it was even a foul, I don't think he'd ever even been booked before!

Had one a few years back, was reffing a title decider and sent a lad off in the first minute for a leg breaker in the box, penalty.....lad says "if I knew you were going to send me I wouldn't have bother turning up" responded with "lad if I knew you were going to do that I would have told you not to bother"

Had to send a kid off in a under 17s game before because he flattened his own teamate with a dig.

His other teamates start fighting with him then. Definetly one of the more madder and unusual things I have experienced.

Another mental incident I had was in a under 12s game. The poor lad at CB got so fed up and frustrated he deliberately scored a OG. This was at a very poor standard mind.

Other mad things to happen include a fellow ref blowing full time for a cup final 5 mins early with the scores level, a manager unsuccessfully trying to attack me during a game because he was unhappy with a offside decision which lead to a goal (because he was on a much better position judging it from the half way line than I was being only around 6 yards away from play ya know) and a goalkeeper being injured by twisting his ankle just as the game was about to start. He was substituted with the goaly from the B team who played in the game before this one.

Team mate got hit in the bollocks by the ball, absolute agony and had to go off. He decided to go to hospital where after inspection they had to tell him that 1 of his testicles had "exploded" in the impact.

In a Saturday afternoon game the opposition were pushing for an equaliser and one of their older lads went down by the touchline and as they had a bit of impetus they literally rolled him off the pitch to make a sub.  It transpired he'd had a minor heart attack!!  He survived but gave the football up

Also played against a bloke (in an old boys league) with the worst wig ever who refused to head the ball despite our obvious attempts to try and make him. He came in as a sub and the last 10 minutes was a compilation of aimless punts in the air in his vicinity, we could hardly play for laughing ?

I was once sent from the pitch by the ref 15 minutes before kick off. I was managing my local pub team at the time, about 20 years ago, when the lads were warming up on the pitch all ready to go. As is common on a Sunday though, our ref hadn't turned up when suddenly out of the bushes which were nowhere near either changing huts nor car park, an odd looking chap appeared. He was wearing full ref kit along with a suit jacket and a balaclava oddly enough. He was carrying a metal box , lunchbox type thing in which , as I found out when he opened it, he carried his whistle, flags, cards and notebook .

I tries to introduce myself to him but he shied away. " I will not be swayed by politeness to favour your team, " he squawked.

That was the best it got between us as my next attempt at conversation literally threw him off the edge.

"  Ref, this lad will run the line on our behalf and good on you for bringing the sandwiches ," remarking about his whistle tin.

He stormed off muttering and swearing and when I caught up with him to ask what was wrong , he told me he would not have " impudence" on his pitch and accordingly if I didn't leave the parks area immediately he would call off the fixture thus causing our club a big fine ?

Went to see a friend play in a semi-final over in Wallsend. He had been a great player as a kid, and was a bit of a Mark Hughes character. Big strong lad but quiet and gentle off the pitch; bit of a beast on it.  He broke a bloke's leg, not a foul (ish) but went through ball and player. Just as the ambulance was arriving he launched into a 40-60 challenge and scythed down a stocky bonehead (who, to be fair, had been persistently fouling him/diving in since first injury) said bonehead sustained a horrible-looking floppy snapped tib and fib. Straight red, minor fisticuffs all round, and a two for the price of one ambulance call out !

Sounds like my brother.

Not Sunday League, just really low down in the leagues. My step dad helps run a football club, and they got to a cup final and lost 3-0 with the other team hacking their players. One of the others teams players who scored went out afterwards, was doing drugs then got into a fight with someone outside of a bar where they players were celebrating, he ended up being out a knife and stabbing someone to death.