Performance of The Season 2016/17

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Because I'm trying to kill the last few minutes at work...

Intrigued to know what people view as our "performance of the season". This is the best all-round performance of the season, from start to finish.

I've only included our wins, because I don't think any of the draws/losses were very well received :lol:

I personally think Huddersfield (a). They were in-form, desperate to win and we completely controlled the game from start to finish. They were restricted to long range shots and didn't look like scoring (other than that dodgy pen).

Notable mention for QPR (a), Leeds (a), Birmingham (h).

Norwich for me. They totally fluked being 3-1 up and we were the better team throughout.

Aye, I wasn't there but it was patently obvious we absolutely battered them yet it looked like we were going to lose and continue our poor start to the season. Fun fact: I had put that 'post-match bed wetting from page x' in the thread title before we even got it back to 3-2 in preparation for all the whining. Seemed appropriate either way so I kept it.

Brighton away for me. Most difficult fixture of the season, went a goal down, dug in and came back into it, got on top and won it in dramatic fashion. Not the most eye catching or dominant but the best 3 points of the season given the size of the task imo.

Huge result.

The QPR game was just the perfect performance from start to finish, unlucky really it was only 6-0. The most important result though was probably a coin toss between Brighton and Huddersfield away. To win those two back to back was hugely important, should have set us up for a canter to the finish line really but we stumbled a little after that only to recover just in time :)

QPR away, has to be. Winning 0-6 away from home and being unlucky for it to not be more was just so un-NUFC I still have trouble believing it now. :lol:

Special mentions

Preston (h) in the League Cup, yes they had a man sent off in the first half at 1-0 but it was so blatantly obvious how better we were when it was 11v11. Some of the football we played was breathtakingly good and like QPR (a) it should've been 8 or 9-0. We were utterly dominant and we just completely took them apart from start to finish which is something I haven't seen from a Newcastle team, or any team at any level really, being so dominant.

Norwich (h) as we should've been 3-0 or 4-0 up vs one of our nearest challengers at the time before they got a penalty, which was the first time they entered our box. They fluked a 1-3 lead and we all know the rest.

Leeds (a) as the buildup about how brilliant Leeds were was dispelled with in 15 minutes and the only pressure they put on us was a few set pieces before half time. Gayle's second goal was pure sex.

Birmingham (h) we were brilliant and should've won by more.

Huddersfield (a) was just an absolute tactical masterclass from Rafa, he got that game completely spot on.

Leeds (h) we all know the craic, typical NUFC but I believe that that was our best league home performance of the season.

Preston at home in the cup is a good shout, it could have easily been double figures. We hit the woodwork twice and had one cleared off the line while their keeper made some cracking saves.

Has to be QPR away though, never thought I'd see the day Newcastle won a competitive fixture 6-0 away from home.