Newcastle United 2 - 3 Nottingham Forest (AET) - 23/08/17 (post-match from p20)

Disco

That first goal by them! Talk about standing off them and letting them waltz in, nuts man. Surprised the guy who put the cross in didn't go into semi shock from being left that alone by a premier league side in their own area. Was Mooy all over again. Proper dodgy watching that.

We were miles better in the second half when Diame and Saivet switched. Saivet and Barlaser offered no protection at all but Diame was pretty good when they switched, but he missed two decent headed chances.

Darlow - Awful for the second goal, they had an identical chance about 5 minutes earlier that he just about got away with. Made a few decent saves in the first half

Sterry - Looked well off the pace, couldn't complain at being subbed.

Gamez - He's alright, a very average full back. Good communicator on the pitch

Hanley - Shite. Even when he did something right he then took it out of Darlow's hands for some awful reason. Likes a 70 yard ping into the stands

Mbemba - Better than Hanley but pretty unremarkable

Barlaser - Too timid first half, actually tried to tackle players in the second half but pretty ineffective.

Saivet - Better second half playing in the 10 role but nothing to get excited about

Diame - Drove us forward second half but unfortunately can't head a football. Tried to lob the keeper from about 45 yards

Aarons - Great goal, a box of tricks and he did well to get to the byline a few times. Far less effective on the right before being subbed, though he tired badly before going off anyway.

Murphy - Glides past players when he's at full speed but showed a lack of composure on 2 or 3 occasions. Promising though.

Mitrovic - Took his goal well, was a nuisance but a few times there were great balls served on a plate where you'd expect your striker to be.

Lazaar - He's definitely not a left back as he can't tackle for shit. Won't be missed.

Ritchie - Inventive as ever but nobody ever seems to be on his wavelength.

Hayden - Meh, didn't really have an impact

Disappointed with the team we played, if we win on Saturday it'll be forgotten but if we lose then it's a disaster. On the other hand, if this is the second eleven then at least now everybody knows how poor the squad is. Yes we deserved to win in 90 minutes but there's just no cutting edge in this squad, and that's always going to be a problem.

Don't disagree with a lot of that but my God we did not deserve to win that game at all like. Not in any time.

Rafa played his political game tonight whilst doing what a number of Premier League teams do and fielding a weakened side against terribly week opposition. Except we aren't a Premier league side.

He knew what he was doing, providing a platform for players who need to leave to perform and prove their worth to other clubs. Said players didn't take their chance as they were woeful both in terms of quality and in terms of effort. Players like Saivet, Lazaar, Hanley?

Aarons and Diame were the only shining lights from the original 11 and Aarons faded as time went on. The rest were fucking useless. No communication, no cohesion, no confidence or composure. Everything a Benitez team isn't.

Whilst that says a lot for his arguably controversial man management. He sees this every day at training so maybe he was just bringing it to everyone's attention just how shit this squad is.

Rafa played his part in our cup exit tonight, but no less than the players and certainly not the owner.

Saturday is a cup final and God knows we're shit in them too (in recent history). So expect a fan base on a knife edge. A steady half an hour to an hour and then West Ham to score off an avoidable goal. No strength in depth and not enough quality on the pitch.

We all know why this is, unless any of you are sucking off Keith Bishop, Ashley or their Sky bumchums.

Fuck me man. Only at Newcastle would we have one of the best and most successful managers of all time and be in this scenario. The gift that keeps giving.

If there's one semblance of hope it is in the man himself (Rafa). Has to be Spurs' levels of support for him on Sunday and an all out cry for what we all believe in and love. NEWCASTLE UNITED - OUR CLUB.

Guest neesy111

Aarons and Diame were the only shining lights from the original 11 and Aarons faded as time went on. The rest were fucking useless. No communication, no cohesion, no confidence or composure. Everything a Benitez team isn't.

Tell me how is a team that never played together with a few told they are surplus to requirements only 12 days ago meant to play together and want to put a good performance in etc?  Sorry, but the manager has tried to use them tonight as pawns in his political battle with the owner.

Tell me how is a team that never played together with a few told they are surplus to requirements only 12 days ago meant to play together and want to put a good performance in etc?  Sorry, but the manager has tried to use them tonight as pawns in his political battle with the owner.

That I do not deny. But tell me how performing like an absolute pile of wank and putting no effort in makes someone else want to employ you?

Guest neesy111

That I do not deny. But tell me how performing like an absolute pile of wank and putting no effort in makes someone else want to employ you?

None, but they are all on good wages so I suspect it makes zero difference to them.

Aarons and Diame were the only shining lights from the original 11 and Aarons faded as time went on. The rest were f***ing useless. No communication, no cohesion, no confidence or composure. Everything a Benitez team isn't.

True, but still, any side we put out there in a League Cup tie at home to opposition from the Championship should be good enough to brush them aside. Unless something is clearly wrong, as there was 2 years ago v Sheff Wed and as there blatantly is now. The whole Ashley-Rafa charade is affecting everyone now. Fanks, Mike. :thup:

None, but they are all on good wages so I suspect it makes zero difference to them.

They won't be for long and their careers are short as it is. Whilst I wouldn't mind being a penny behind them, they're being naive if they think performances like tonight will see them through a nice lifetime of expenditure.

Mike Ashley's early season objectives completed;

1. Lie to Benitez

2. Get knocked out of league cup

3. Divide the supporter base and get some to turn on Benitez

4. Stand back and laugh your tits off after beasting those poor geordies again

Some things will never change. Benitez gone by Sept 1st, IMO.

:bs:

aarons did really well tonight.

sadly sterry and barlaser were way out of their league - even against a championship club.

hanley was atrocious - hope no scouts were watching.

again, balls being played across the face of goal and mitro nowhere to be seen. kind of game gayle would have done well in.

Aarons and Diame were the only shining lights from the original 11 and Aarons faded as time went on. The rest were f***ing useless. No communication, no cohesion, no confidence or composure. Everything a Benitez team isn't.

If this is the case then he's using the fans as well as winning a cup is more important to us than any of them.

First time we've gone out at this stage in 27 years apparently. Fucking piss poor however you want to cook it.

That's a canny stat but it totally ignores the fact that due to us being in Europe a lot we usually got a bye to the 3rd round anyway.