Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Villa did sell a first team regular mind. Can't imagine they planned for that.

I think they did.  Luiz was in the same position Joelinton was about to be in.  24 months left on his contract. They weren’t discussing renewals so clearly a sale was on the cards.

Letting valuable players get to less than 24 months left on their contracts is bad business. You sell or renew by that point.  

They would’ve hoped for more money though I’m sure. City sell-on clause also would’ve been another issue. 

34 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If not for Minteh having a breakout season, it’s likely we sell a Purple in a rush.  That’s so poor.  

What are you suggesting as an alternative?

31 minutes ago, jack j said:

Anyone else think this is very meh considering the money they have spent. As well as losing Luiz who was one of their best players last year

Honestly prefer our window so far despite having really only signed Kelly (and Hall I suppose) for the first team.

Villa are strengthening and getting numbers in for their squad ahead of a season with many games. Seems sensible enough. That being said I much preferred them when they were struggling with Stevie g I must say. [emoji38]

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The bad thing about Villa’s approach is a lot of their business is heavily linked to FFP.  

Which is really strange, given how well they've planned for it, eh.

19 minutes ago, joeyt said:

What are you suggesting as an alternative?

To have an actionable plan from Jan/Feb 2024.  Selling Minteh couldn’t have been the plan in Jan/Feb.  I think Ashworths plan was to sell Joelinton and I wouldn’t have been mad at that. 

Yeh in June we had no other alternatives.  

I didn’t even think we had PSR issues when Villa sold Luiz. They were no strongly rumoured sales. We rushed it at the end.  

Anywys - new leadership team won’t let that happen again. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

To have an actionable plan from Jan/Feb 2024.  Selling Minteh couldn’t have been the plan in Jan/Feb.  I think Ashworths plan was to sell Joelinton and I wouldn’t have been mad at that. 

Yeh in June we had no other alternatives.  

I didn’t even think we had PSR issues when Villa sold Luiz. They were no strongly rumoured sales. We rushed it at the end.  

Anywys - new leadership team won’t let that happen again. 

so you think a better idea would have been to sell Joelinton? 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Aston Villa deal with PSR way smarter than we do.  

They've had to sell and make some questionable deals, so not quite.

Giving how they're one of the clubs that are vocal for having this removed, they are rolling the dice. Brave, but a poor season this year, and it can look very stupid next summer.

Not sure on their net spend, but nothing on that Villa list really excites me for that amount of outlay.  They are certainly not messing about. 

Cannot really see how that lot massively improves them considering who has gone. 

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Which is really strange, given how well they've planned for it, eh.

Not really. Because these transfers help them out with PSR going forward. They’ve bought young players with high reputations they can continue to trade in future transfer windows. As someone Said, low risk high ceiling. 

Philogene could have a bad season and be sold for a gross profit next season. 

The drawback is they might be prioritising that over the exact profiles they need. I don’t think they needed Maatsen for example.  But as a FFP favour he improves the first team, high ceiling, could sell him for good money going forward.  

Our FFP favour signing doesnt improve the first team, is unlikely to play, and we’ll not get good money for him.  It looks like we couldn’t agree a deal for any of their players we wouldn’t actually want (Elanga rumours) so we took someone on low wages for a fee that would make us and Forest FFP compliant. 

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

so you think a better idea would have been to sell Joelinton? 

Yes. 

He was at the peak of his value.  I’m a big fan but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable. It looks like we were lining up a potential replacement in Ederson. 

Now he’s going to be hard to shift due to his age, salary and ability (in Europe anyway).  

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not really. Because these transfers help them out with PSR going forward. They’ve bought young players with high reputations they can continue to trade in future transfer windows. As someone Said, low risk high ceiling. 

The drawback is they might be prioritising that over the exact profiles they need. I don’t think they needed Maatsen for example.  But as a FFP favour he improves the first team, high ceiling, could sell him for good money going forward.  

Our FFP favour signing doesnt improve the first team, is unlikely to play, and we’ll not get good money for him.  It looks like we couldn’t agree a deal for any of their players we wouldn’t actually want (Elanga rumours) so we took someone on low wages for a fee that would make us and Forest FFP compliant. 

Swings about. They signed Coutinho, Carlos, Dedoncker, Moreno for £70m in 2022/23, and probably get scratch money back for them. Being fortunate that the Saudis have giving them their money back for Diaby isn't part of some long term plan, just enables them to then spend more elsewhere which may or may not help them.

8 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

They've had to sell and make some questionable deals, so not quite.

Giving how they're one of the clubs that are vocal for having this removed, they are rolling the dice. Brave, but a poor season this year, and it can look very stupid next summer.

The HG players they’ve sold - seem to all have buy back options. 

The shady deals they’ve brought in are for young players with high ceilings. 

They could sell all of them next summer and at least break even PSR accounting wise. 

Luiz they got a bad fee. But they got a great fee for Diaby. 

Only questionable one is the Onana fee and I don’t think they’ve brought in a passer for midfield.  Maatsen fee a tad high too. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

But you're conveniently forgetting that we're now in a much stronger position to buy players we want while still having Joelinton. The window hasn't closed yet. 

Joelinton is a proven Premier league player,  Minteh and Anderson aren't. Villa have signed unproven players from Juventus or their former youngsters. 

I imagine the plan was to sell Almiron and Wilson but no ones biting