Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Full quote:

The Spaniard said: “Even if we strengthen in January it will be a miracle if we stay up. I think everyone knows what we have to do.

“Does Mike Ashley know? I hope so. We are doing what we have to do and now we wait to see what will happen.

“We have the targets, the names, so we have to do what we have to do.

“I am trying to tell everyone, realise where we are. Realise what we have to do and if we do well, fine we can finish 10th or whatever.”

“If we think we can beat these teams that have spent £100 million, every one of them, every game, there is no chance. We are wrong, 100 per cent.”

“I like the challenge and we will try to do our best. If you lose or cannot win, you cannot enjoy it, but I know it is my job and I have to be sure I make the right decisions all the time.

“We try to manage and correct things but sometimes in this league, which is so difficult, it is not enough.

“We have to be realistic and understand we will be in the half bottom for the whole season. If we can be better than three teams it will be another miracle.

“We can try make things happen in January, we will see what happens. It would be a miracle to stay up, yes.

“For me it is very clear. I know what is coming now and I know where we are. You can see the team is trying a lot of things but still it is not enough to get the points. It will be like that.

“If we are under pressure and feel this pressure we will not better and we can make more mistakes.”

Think it sounds like after the performance against Fulham he's admitted to himself that it's a very strong possibility we'll go down and if we do he's saying in the those quotes that 'i told you so' to cover his own back. Rightly so.

I like Rafa as a person. He says the right things and raelly cares for the fans and the club. He is a great proffessional and got bags of experience.

But the football we play under him is so boring to watch. I know he has never got the players he wanted and never been backed by Ashley(and never will). But I'm not sure the football won't be much funnier to watch even if he gets better players, although we may get more points.

If we ever get new owners(wich I think will happen at least untill the summer) I'm starting to think it would be good with a new manager at the same time. A new voice for the players and a manager who wants to play some offensive football for once.

Like I said, still likes Rafa and not sure on this. Maybe we could play another football with Rafa if he get the players he wants but I'm not sure. Think he has his way of playing the game and it's very defensive minded. Not sure that is what I want to see in the long run if we get new owners with a little bit of ambition.

Thoughts?

If we get a new owner ( :lol:) then Rafa will probably have been the biggest single factor in making that happen, so no I think it would be fucking ridiculous, and disgusting too, to get rid of him.

He's gone at the end of the season. He's becoming disillusioned with the (home) supporters now which was probably the only reason he's still here. Now the cracks have started to surface in that bond he's probably thinking there's nothing left here for him now and he can move on to a bigger club in the summer.

Yep, I also think its aimed at the fans booing the team off after a draw against Fulham....what the fuck were they expecting? That we should batter teams at home because we're Newcastle? In peoples minds they still expect us to be competing for Europe because thats where we should be, but they're unable to step back and look at the bigger picture as to why we're not very good. I'll give them a hint...its not Rafa and it's not the players' effort or commitment. It's that bloke you're giving your money to.

Guest neesy111

He's gone at the end of the season. He's becoming disillusioned with the (home) supporters now which was probably the only reason he's still here. Now the cracks have started to surface in that bond he's probably thinking there's nothing left here for him now and he can move on to a bigger club in the summer.

Yep, I also think its aimed at the fans booing the team off after a draw against Fulham....what the f*** were they expecting? That we should batter teams at home because we're Newcastle? In peoples minds they still expect us to be competing for Europe because thats where we should be, but they're unable to step back and look at the bigger picture as to why we're not very good. I'll give them a hint...its not Rafa and it's not the players' effort or commitment. It's that bloke you're giving your money to.

A home crowd that didn't see a shot on target and has seen us win only twice in 10 games, losing 6.  Can't blame them tbh.

Yep, I also think its aimed at the fans booing the team off after a draw against Fulham....what the f*** were they expecting? That we should batter teams at home because we're Newcastle? In peoples minds they still expect us to be competing for Europe because thats where we should be, but they're unable to step back and look at the bigger picture as to why we're not very good. I'll give them a hint...its not Rafa and it's not the players' effort or commitment. It's that bloke you're giving your money to.

A home crowd that didn't see a shot on target and has seen us win only twice in 10 games, losing 6.  Can't blame them tbh.

Its pretty tragic all round tbh. The football at home has been shite admittedly, but its clear as day lots of our players aren't very confident and aren't able to ignore the crowds frustrations with them so they shrink. Just seems like a never ending circle  :lol:

'Miracle' is a bit strong but I can understand why he's said it - obviously the transfer meetings haven't gone well and he's trying to pressure Ashley. It won't work though. He'll leave and all our hopes will be extinguished.

Merry Christmas everyone :thup:

Not really ending any hopes, I've thought for a while that all Rafa was effectively doing is buying Mike some more time on the PL gravy train to buy more failed businesses. In a cruel sort of way, all Rafa's time here has done is drag out the pain.

Guest neesy111

Its pretty tragic all round tbh. The football at home has been shite admittedly, but its clear as day lots of our players aren't very confident and aren't able to ignore the crowds frustrations with them so they shrink. Just seems like a never ending circle  :lol:

No one wins apart from the fat cunt at the top.

He's right. We invest nothing and people wonder why we struggle.

I don't question the work done by Rafa. Without him we would be stuck in the championship right now.

I'm talking about the next step. When(or if) new owners comes along. THEN I want a more offensive aproach and maybe another manager.

As long as Ashley is here, Rafa is the best man for the job(too good to be here actually).

Rafa is the best man for Newcastle United, Ashley or no Ashley. In terms of what he's already done for the club, connection to the fans, city and club's culture as well as being able to build for the future under a new owner there's no one better who we could attract. The football will get better with more investment in the squad and a better quality of player being brought in; making the 'blanket' Rafa refers to a bit longer. There's no one else who I'd like either other than, say, Guardiola or Allegri. And they wouldn't come here even in the couple years after a hypothetical takeover and build.

I like Rafa as a person. He says the right things and raelly cares for the fans and the club. He is a great proffessional and got bags of experience.

But the football we play under him is so boring to watch. I know he has never got the players he wanted and never been backed by Ashley(and never will). But I'm not sure the football won't be much funnier to watch even if he gets better players, although we may get more points.

If we ever get new owners(wich I think will happen at least untill the summer) I'm starting to think it would be good with a new manager at the same time. A new voice for the players and a manager who wants to play some offensive football for once.

Like I said, still likes Rafa and not sure on this. Maybe we could play another football with Rafa if he get the players he wants but I'm not sure. Think he has his way of playing the game and it's very defensive minded. Not sure that is what I want to see in the long run if we get new owners with a little bit of ambition.

Thoughts?

But think of it this way, did you find his Liverpool teams to be boring?

I think Rafa is just setting us up to get results with what is clearly a really limited set of players.

If this team is setup as a more attacking team we'd end up like Fulham currently are at the bottom only far worse.

Guest neesy111

Lost rolls of the dice imo by Rafa, he clearly wants to stay but is fed up with Ashley.  Wasn't there transfer meetings last week between him and Charnley?  Tells me they didn't go well.

He's also made it clear in those quotes that he has done his bit, and both he and the scouts have identified targets and have handed them over to Charnley and Mike.

He's just letting us know it's all down to the powers that be so to speak.

If this team is setup as a more attacking team we'd end up like Fulham currently are at the bottom only far worse.

Yep.

The only time this season Rafa decided to go hit for hit with a team after going on a really solid run in a defensive 3-4-2-1 was West Ham at home and they absolutely ripped us to shreds in our biggest loss of the season.

Pellegrini absolutely loved that we went hit for hit with them he said it could have been 6 or 7.

Some fans deserve a Jokanovic honestly :lol:

Lost rolls of the dice imo by Rafa, he clearly wants to stay but is fed up with Ashley.  Wasn't there transfer meetings last week between him and Charnley?  Tells me they didn't go well.

He might as well have met with a rolled towel in a surgical glove with glasses drawn on for all the good those meetings do.