Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Right I’ve calmed down, just about anyway.

I’m still with Rafa and know only too well what he’s working with, but he isn’t blameless in where we are at right now in the table and especially performance and form wise. Obviously Ashley is the main culprit, but Rafa need to sort this out quick because he’s making as many errors as the players are for me.

This takeover obviously cannot come soon enough.

I still dislike the way we play under Rafa though and his tactics, but that wouldn’t even be an issue if we were winning or performing well as a team.

Ashley is by far and away the main culprit and no one can argue with that but the manager is not blameless this season either. Some of the signings, tactics and team selections have been woeful. 6 points out of 33 and 1 home point out of 18 with many winnable games amongst them is not good enough. We will see what happens in January but if something special doesn’t happen very quickly then this club will go down with a whimper like a puppy with a smacked arse and may well not recover for a lot of years. Got to hope this takeover is happening cos we’re fucked otherwise personally I don’t think it will.

havent read the past 15 pages or so but it must have been mentioned.

rafa needs to come out and explain why he is persisting with a 442 when a 4231 was getting results.

he may have tried it initially to keep those that wanted more attacking football happy.

but when it was clear it wasnt working - why hasnt he reverted to our initial formation. we dont have enough quality in a midfield duo to dominate even the lower haf teams. we need a 3.

In all honesty, I think Lascelles injury showed just how much of a key player he is for us.

That is borne out by the run and goals conceded without him, to that since his return.

Unfortunately, the team nosedived in that period without him and the confidence is now shot. That is the key.

I'm definitely not a Rafa hater, but with our squad at the start of the season, I'd hoped for a mid-lower mid table finish - staying up, with a view to the big TV budget next summer. However, I think our fairly decent start made people think we were better than we were. But we were probably really just a Lascelles injury away from bother. And again that comes down to the squad Rafa was able/allowed to assemble.

Hopefully, we can bring some players in, which may give the squad a lift, and a takeover can be finalised this month, and everyone can get a lift, and we can push on to a safe position by the end of the season.

Would I take a 17th place finish right now?

Probably!

no one hates rafa. People like myself ate just frustrated with his negative tactics. Treatment of some players and i honestly think he has wasted a significant amount of the small bugets he has had

to answer your question i thought we would struggle but would at least go down fighting

rafa needs to come out and explain why he is persisting with a 442 when a 4231 was getting results.

he may have tried it initially to keep those that wanted more attacking football happy.

but when it was clear it wasnt working - why hasnt he reverted to our initial formation. we dont have enough quality in a midfield duo to dominate even the lower haf teams. we need a 3.

Trying to get goals from Gayle maybe? He's usually invisible when he plays as a lone striker.

Probably a question that would be better asked in the match thread but I dread to think how that is looking right now. :lol::

Was it actually his tactics today? I was only able to tune my TV from the 15th minute to half time. Rather than it being a game plan to sit back. One second a player under pressure would hoof it to no one, the next they'd try and play it on the deck and it was a wayward short pass that got intercepted. The next they'd try and dance their way out of trouble and run into the opposition.

Trying to get goals from Gayle maybe? He's usually invisible when he plays as a lone striker.

but its not working. it was worth a go initially but we have to go back to what worked best.

Question for the Rafa haters.......given our spend in the Summer, and the 'quality' of our squad, where did you expect us to finish in the league this season?

I did expect us to be around the bottom 6 granted but its the nature of the tactics and performances that is the main gripe and dislike of the situation. Wagner and Hughton at least have a go at teams. Its as if we are s*** scared of the teams in this division

Eh? Brighton were set up to defend against us and hit on the break. :lol:

Did you see how Brighton set up today? :lol:

Like f*** is Hughton "having a go" at teams this season.

They’re the away team you expect that though. You don’t expect that from the home team but we are every single time.

Question for the Rafa haters.......given our spend in the Summer, and the 'quality' of our squad, where did you expect us to finish in the league this season?

I did expect us to be around the bottom 6 granted but its the nature of the tactics and performances that is the main gripe and dislike of the situation. Wagner and Hughton at least have a go at teams. Its as if we are s*** scared of the teams in this division

Brighton have won 2 of their last 11 and scored 3 on only 2 occasion this season (West Ham and West Brom). Really having a go.

Guest firetotheworks

They’re the away team you expect that though. You don’t expect that from the home team but we are every single time.

and yet look at us vs Man United and West Ham away, hitting teams on the counter. If teams sit back, like Brighton did today, they've got the beating of us because, you guessed it, our players aren't good enough. Attack us and we have more of a chance.

The way they set up is similar to us and has been all season. I'm refuting his point that Hughton is "having a go" at teams this season, when he just isn't.

The way they set up is similar to us and has been all season. I'm refuting his point that Hughton is "having a go" at teams this season, when he just isn't.

At home they certainly have more of a go than we do though or they certainly have in the games I have seen.

Brighton were more progressive than us in the first half and must have had more possesion than us. We got deeper and deeper as the first half went on.

At home they certainly have more of a go than we do though or they certainly have in the games I have seen.

They set up like this in the game at the Amex when they beat us 1-0. Have struggled past Watford at home 1-0 and Burnley 0-0 in recent weeks. Must've "had a go" at Liverpool though, seeing as they got dicked 1-5.

They set up like this in the game at the Amex when they beat us 1-0. Have struggled past Watford at home 1-0 and Burnley 0-0 in recent weeks. Must've "had a go" at Liverpool though, seeing as they got dicked 1-5.

But at least it was probably an honour to be dicked 1-5.

Brighton were more progressive than us in the first half and must have had more possesion than us. We got deeper and deeper as the first half went on.

Could say the same for us in the second half. They came for a point today. They got it due to our lack of quality.

Was this the 0-0 at home to Palace? Or the 0-0 at home to Burnley? The 1-1 with Soton maybe? Ah no it'll be the 1-1 with Everton and if not that, surely the 2-2 with Stoke.

Brighton 0-2 Man City Match Report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40835422

Cautious Brighton unable to shine

A rousing atmosphere greeted the Brighton players at a packed stadium but Chris Hughton's side, which included five new signings, had little opportunity to show what they could do.

It was just their discipline and work-rate on show for the first hour or so, when they often had 10 men behind the ball.

Up front, Tomer Hemed and Pascal Gross had a thankless task of chasing and harrying, without a sight of goal.

That second-half spell, when City wobbled but held out under pressure, brought an amazing response from the home fans and perhaps demonstrated what might have been possible had Brighton showed more ambition on their big day against a side playing a new system.

Chris Hughton's cautious approach came within 20 minutes of earning a point against a team with much greater talent and resources but could not quite get the job done - in the end, it was City who did that.

If ever there's was a time to 'have a go' it's after the new promotion bounce against a newly assembled team in a new system...we had an excuse in that we were trying to stop a team who'd been thumping everyone left, right & centre.

Define 'progressive'. They kept the ball nicely but created nothing through open play. As poor as we were going forward, we had the better of the chances in either half.