Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Behind him 100%. The summer killed our season before we'd already got going. The squad is full of absolute shit.

:thup: Need to remember too that not only was the summer transfer window a disaster, the window before that we bought nobody whatsoever, and the window before that we sold players we could get decent fees for and bought a load of players primarily to get us out of the Championship. The squad is a pathetic reflection of a wilfully negligent transfer policy that goes back years and years now.

Guest neesy111

We've only got 1 player in around the match day 18 that came through the academy (woodman would be 2 but he hasn't started a game for us yet).  Which means extra resources need to be put into building a squad.  The chronic lack of academy players under ashley even becoming squad fillers is pathetic.

We look, squad wise, like your standard I'll equipped newly promoted club. Manager wise we look top half. It's a scandal that we didn't significantly strengthen in the summer given the advantages we have over other newly promoted teams. I know where the buck stops for that. Then now, to add insult to injury, our manager doesn't know what budget he has to work with under 36 hours before the window opens. I'm fucking incredulous and won't have Benitez being hung out to dry for any of this.

We've only got 1 player in around the match day 18 that came through the academy (woodman would be 2 but he hasn't started a game for us yet).  Which means extra resources need to be put into building a squad.  The chronic lack of academy players under ashley even becoming squad fillers is pathetic.

Good point that, never even thought about it.

The worry is our strongest 11 feels like a B side no real spark or player that isn't either very sub par or inconsistent this is due to buying inexperience and buying in the low low low end of the market. One window isnt going to fix our issues especially not under the current owner who wrongly assumed a poor squad with a great manager is enough.

I'm of the feeling he's probably making more mistakes himself with subs etc because of how poor the squad is etc.

He’s been brave selection wise and is clearly working hard to find a solution, but sometimes it’s easier just to pick a team and give them a bit of freedom. He’s trying to micro manage every player, every situation, every eventuality and it’s not working. Something has to give. Again I’d like to see a midfield 5 of Murphy, Merino, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu and with Gayle up front. Enough defensive shape and enough attacking options.

Agree with this :thup:

What does this fella have to do before people start realising a lot of the issues we are having is down to him

For me, he would have to travel back in time ten years and alter the course of history resulting in an owner that runs the club in an intelligent, professional manner, maximising its commercial revenue and allowing that to be invested back into the playing staff.

Who exactly do you think would do better with this current squad? Pardew? McClaren? Kinnear? Carver? That is the quality of alternatives under Ashley.

I think the guy in the opposite dugout today could do just as good a job as Rafa is doing today with this squad to be honest

Im sick to death of him being absolved of any blame for s**** performances week in week out. The 2 performances we have just put in this week are 2 of the most insipid, pathetic,gutless and toothless performances ive ever ever witnessed. Dress the Man City one up all you want but we conceded that game before wed even kicked off that is not football and Rafa is the guy who tells these useless fuckwits to play this way

Im sick to death of watching this negative approach to every game as if we are little old Newcatsle from the northern premier league taking on the big boys...its s***

Maybe he could, or maybe we would not have been relegated with Rafa in the first place if Ashley had not sacked Hughton to replace him with a yes man who would not object to his soulless vision for the club.

I don't think that Rafa is infallible but, in the real world, Ashley has demonstrated time and time again that he will not attract or appoint a manager that would to do better.

Rafa showed loyalty to the fans by staying and he got us promoted at the first attempt, something only five other clubs have done in the past ten seasons, and none of the relegated clubs look like repeating this season. He has more than earned our loyalty.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hughton entered my mind after the final whistle, I think if he was our manager right now we’d be in the same kind of position, but the football would be marginally better and the tactics. I’d fancy our chances of staying up slightly more under Hughton as crazy as that may sound and I know I’ll draw criticism from it. I just favour optimism and positivity over caution and negativity. Long-term though...

Im behind Rafa.

The only thing is he never seems to change. Always the same comments after a defeat or uninspiring performance.

Default:  We need to keep working harder. We now focus on our next game etc etc.

When is he going to flip his lid and start bollocking some of these lazy twats.

World class manager, maybe. Just not here IMO.

Great bloke, gets the club, city and fans. However, his football does not get the fans, city or club. Any other manager, we would be all over them.

For these reasons, s no reason to keep him. We are looking worse by the week, not better. He should be doing better.

Time to move on.

Great bloke, gets the club, city and fans. However, his football does not get the fans, city or club. Any other manager, we would be all over them.

For these reasons, s no reason to keep him. We are looking worse by the week, not better. He should be doing better.

Time to move on.

:spit:

Time to move on.

🤪

Time to move on.

Attention seeking WUM.